New saw advice (for the 1000th time)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you get what you payed for $180 now or $100 and a headache I count pennies to but I know what to be cheap on and what not. If you want get the poulan they still have some place to get parts for mcculloch not many dealers.

sounds like rbrs luck is the same as mine, i started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Tony beat me to it. Echo. I'd say, of the cheaper saws they seem to have the best reputations.

But rbr, I still think you ought to at least talk to a dealer about a used saw. Something they have looked over, had as a demo, maybe even reworked after getting it for nothing and can sell it for cheap. I found an Echo that was new but a couple years old and I wish I bought it cuz it was dirt cheap. For that matter, supposedly Home Depot sells their refurbished Makitas (which are Dolmars and everyone here raves about what a good saw they are). Check with them too.

The little bit extra you pay ($50-75, maybe even $100 more) could get you a good, used saw with lots of life left and which is a much better saw than the Poulan, Homelite, etc that will last longer in the end. As for warranty, you'll need it on the cheap ones. And the features on a nicer saw make it much easier and safer to use. Poor anti-vibe leads to fatigue which leads to mistakes. Some of those cheaper saws leave your hands buzzing and tingling after use.

I passed right over the part about throwing money away on renting a saw. Sorry. Having never rented a saw, I don't know how much you would throw away. Still, there's lots of ways you can throw money away on saws, and I think you are thinking of some. You've gotten some good advice here.

Why don't you look up a local firewood merchant...don't know what you guys call them over there...if the timbers handy, and it sounds like theres plenty of it...he could take it off your hands...and off your land for free (I'd offer an energetic hand though)...I empathise with you and your new home $$ standing

I realize that I am violating the by-laws of chainsaw addicts but...

It sounds like you are planning on using it only on your lot and for light trimming (after cutting up the pile). You might consider a good electric chainsaw.

Does away with all the maintenance, fuel problems etc. The drawback being able to reach what you trim with a power cord.

One thing not mentioned on gas saws. Even the cheap big box saws will run a long time given decent maintenance. Most of the problems with them not running when wanted is caused by leaving the fuel in them between uses. Unless you are planning on using the saw again within a week or two (that's pushing it), drain the fuel and run it till it dies before putting it away.

Harry K

I suggest that you go with a used Stihl or Husky because Poulan and those other brands are crap. (And you'll notice that nobody will be mad at me for saying that. If I said Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Echo, or any of those brands were crap then people would be mod, because people actually likethose saws).

You just have to chose the right Poulans. I dont trust any saws with plastic cases, no matter who makes it.

ErrolC said:
Why don't you look up a local firewood merchant...don't know what you guys call them over there...if the timbers handy, and it sounds like theres plenty of it...he could take it off your hands...and off your land for free (I'd offer an energetic hand though)...I empathise with you and your new home $$ standing

If it were maple, ash, oak or another hard wood then perhaps he could. He's got poplar from the looks of it (that's the worst kind of firewood) and it also sounds like its in a messy tactor pushed pile (that's the worst kind of pile) and it's also small diamiter stuff.

bad pile

You've got that right. I don't think anyone would want to touch it because it is so much small stuff, and it is tightly packed from the tractor pushing it in. Getting the stuff out to cut is probably the bigger problem compared to how I cut it and how I get rid of it. I kept cutting in from the edges with the ax and bow saw, and then I just reached a point where the rest is too tightly packed to get a good start anywhere. I'm thinking of trying to just attach a rope to some of the stuff and get a few people to try to pull some of it out. If I only had a 4-wheeler or something to pull it all apart, I could probably finish most of it with a lot of hard work with the bow saw and ax. It's really only one big poplar that would be nearly impossible to do without the chainsaw. I might be able to do the poplar that is down with a bigger ax. Probably not much safer than a chainsaw, but I've done a lot of cutting with an ax and feel more comfortable tackling the job with that than the chainsaw...and it's much less money.

As far as getting a professional to do it...I had numerous estimates on removing the poplar alone. 600$ minimum to drop the tree and leave it, and up in the $2000 range to drop it, pull the stump, and remove it all. The guys doing the septic work pulled the whole thing out stump and all for nothing! I've advertised in numerous places that the wood was free for the taking, but no one wants small diameter, soft wood.

The pile of tangled wood you describe is a kickback scenario waiting to happen. If you go the chainsaw route, familiarize yourself with this phenomenon. I'm sure you also know that alot of that wood is going to be under tension, and may move dramatically when cut. It's all entirely preventable with situational awareness, and common sense.

Jeff

Another option is to borrow a saw (not from me!).

Even better check with your neighbors. There is always at least one who has a saw and almost anyone with one will be happy to -demonstrate- how to use one. Just be sure to stretch the demonstration out until the pile is gone.

Seriously though. Asking a neighbor for the help is a good option but be sure your homeowners insurance is paid up.

Harry K

Back