New Saw Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've got the time wait for a clean 361, 360, 036 to come up or eqiv husq. As a firewooder in the 75kg class anything bigger eventually becomes heavy...but remains entertaining :)

Well I am back from getting hitched, browsing Craigslist last night and see a Stihl MS660 for sale for $500, in my town. It is sold, and probably WAY more saw than I need, but he said he has a 440 that he is getting rid of also. No price yet but said I could have 1st crack at it.

What should I look for on a used saw like this?

He just got back to me and said it is rebuilt, comes with a 28" bar and 20" is included, and "All in all a wonderful piece of equipment" $400.00

Good price? Thanks

Well I am back from getting hitched, browsing Craigslist last night and see a Stihl MS660 for sale for $500, in my town. It is sold, and probably WAY more saw than I need, but he said he has a 440 that he is getting rid of also. No price yet but said I could have 1st crack at it.

What should I look for on a used saw like this?

He just got back to me and said it is rebuilt, comes with a 28" bar and 20" is included, and "All in all a wonderful piece of equipment" $400.00

Good price? Thanks

Buy it or I will!

Who rebult it? With what was it rebuilt AM or OEM? What was rebuilt? What was the defekt? How often has the person rebuilt stuff already? Can you run it before buying? Does he have wood there or would it better to take some along? Often scored piston and cylinder are replaced and the reason for scoring not...so can you expect further work to make it a good running saw? If it is so good does he give you a warrenty? Why is he selling it? Is it stolen? Do I really need a saw in that cc range for my type of cutting? ..... A lot of unanswered questions here...

I understand that everyone has an orgasim because of certain brands or models, but please be realistic because you might wake up with something you actually didn't want...

He did not say on the rebuild but i will ask. He is done with cutting wood, not sure why. I will bring some wood with, don't have any real good hardwood other than some maple.
Hope not stolen but will check around and see if any saws in area went missing.
I was looking for something in the 60cc range, but more power and same weight I am OK with...and comes with a bigger, 28" bar, that would really come in handy for some bigger logs.
I am going to take a look at it tonight. Thanks for the reply, it was exactly what I was looking for.

If scored piston was to blame, what else could cause it? Thanks, greatly appreciate it!

The only person I trust to rebuild my saws around here is me. No doubt there are some great mechanics in the area but they'll rebuild for their own reasons at their own price point... Unless I know the builder very well, seen their workshop and most of all trust them I wouldn't touch a rebuilt saw.

Have corrected plenty of flaws in so called rebuilds and ended up with a very good saw. But I've got the time and patience.

Take your time and research the models you're interested in so when one comes up at the right price in good cond you're ready to grab it. Don't be overly impressed with the saw's appearance, pretty paint and plastic can hide a world of hurt. Bonus bits are exactly that. If you're not comfortable with the purchase walk away, plenty of good 60-70cc saws regularly come up on the second hand market.

You might get lucky though. Hope it goes well for you.

"If you're not comfortable, walk away." Now that's some great advice!!!!! I'm generally very understanding, once I've met someone face-to- face. Probably a good deal, but some people will lie to you straight up, so definitely keep your radar on...

Well, I picked it up. the local stihl dealer rebuilt it. there is some new plastic from small fire. Runs great and strong. Weight wise, it is real close to the old blue homelite super XL auto, more front heavy with the 28" bar. starts great. happy for now anyway, put a half tank thru last night. will give a workout this weekend. has full skip chain i believe. Thanks for replies

Put a couple tanks thru last night and runs strong. Had 28" bar buried most of the time. It sure does burn thru the gas though, I may have to start carrying a 5 gallon gas tank with me....heh

I may have to tweak carb a little, it seems like it hits a rev limiter at WOT while cutting sometimes. Do I need a tach to adjust carb correctly. I may have to watch some tutorials on this.

I have a 362, its a few years old, been used quite a bit. I bought it with a 25" bar. I think it does best with a 20". Currently I'm running the 25" on it for extra reach. I generally don't use it in wood that I'd bury the whole bar with the 25" on it, with the 20" I frequently have the thing buried in all kinds of wood and it does just fine. Has never let me down.

I didn't see that you already picked up a saw, congrats, great saw. I run a 28" on my 372 and 461 and love them. Madsens has a great tutorial on tuning saws. (http://madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm) Pretty much you want it so that it fourstrokes (burbles) when it has no load on the engine and cleans up when you lug it down. Keep the air filter clean and the chain sharp. Also be sure to check if it's in winter mode or summer mode. good luck!

Thanks for the Link 4x4. Will check it out
I really don't mind swinging the little extra weight and length of the 28". I could throw the 20" on, but whats the fun in that...heh
Just sharpened blades with file and guide. Going to pull muffler cover off and see if worth doing anything to get a little more power.

yea take a dremel in there and widen up the holes. make sure to re tune afterwords. might have to take limiters off carb if there are any

how do i check if winter or summer mode?....
looking at muffler mods, is it worth enlarging factory hole or just get the dual port? amazon has one for $38 + 6 shipping. Part #1128-140-0616.

how do i check if winter or summer mode?....
looking at muffler mods, is it worth enlarging factory hole or just get the dual port? amazon has one for $38 + 6 shipping. Part #1128-140-0616.

I'm not sure on the 440s, I would imagine if you take off the top plastic cover you might see something that has a picture of a sun or a picture of a snowflake. Just switch it to where you can see the sun. Sometimes its not labeled, and you'll have to do a little figuring. I wouldn't bother with the cover just open up the factory hole by quite a bit and it'll usually make quite a bit of difference. Not sure either if there's anything to gut inside that particular muffler. Just do some poking around with it. Have ya got her tuned in yet? Make sure to tune it with a clean air filter.

ordered a dual port and K&N air filter for it. should have em by next week. I did not see anything by the carb. will have to investigate more

Got the air filter and muffler on, tuned, saw runs awesome! Cut up a few trees from a buddy that had a small tornado roll thru his place, blew a 60,000 bushell grain bin over and ripped roof off older hog house. Cut and split some downed maple. It was a really weird storm, if you could call it that. bin ended up blowing to the west, roof went to the north.

I love the RPM's this saw runs, it maybe a little big, but way more fun than the old homelites. The full skip chain is also not so bad to deal with as I have been told will jump. Cuts like a champ. I have not put 20" bar on yet.....

Would like to run an Echo or Husky in comparable size, but, like, well love, the 440.

Latest posts

Back