New saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s slower less efficient use of the power available with a particular power head/bar length combo. Myself I don’t go full skip till 185 driver 60” bars from there down to about 32” 105 drivers it’s semi skip and 28” 93 driver it’s full comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And In hardwood it vibrates a lot, and it seems like the shorter tha bar the worse it is.[emoji111]

And In hardwood it vibrates a lot, and it seems like the shorter tha bar the worse it is.[emoji111]

Probably due to the harmonics that come through a stiffer short bar, made the mistake of running it on a 32 once god that vibrated my hand to sleep that day.

Probably due to the harmonics that come through a stiffer short bar, made the mistake of running it on a 32 once god that vibrated my hand to sleep that day.

I believe it has to do to the longer gaps from tooth to tooth. Other than less teeth to sharpen "which is really nice" there is no know advantage to running skip chain. Chip clearance is an old wives tale IMHO.[emoji111]

Oh I tried to get some of that good stuff at the stihl dealership... walked in and asked for some RS in 058 and the guy said “that’s husky chain”.
I walked out lol

You should have explained to him that it is a regional thing and in some areas that is all you will find on Stihl saws for that size bar. That if it wasn't made to be run on a Stihl, then Stihl wouldn't make it, because that is how Stihl is. That he would know all this if he was a good dealer and you were going down the road to find one... then walked out.

I believe it has to do to the longer gaps from tooth to tooth. Other than less teeth to sharpen "which is really nice" there is no know advantage to running skip chain. Chip clearance is an old wives tale IMHO.[emoji111]

One advantage to skip on a long bar is you can run a size smaller power head for those situations here and there. Even with the long bars like a 60 it still vibrates with full skip but nothing like a 32 does, a 60” cannon is something that you can flex around in a cut vs a 32” cannon which is a fun treat to bend around your knee to roll a chain back on.

One advantage to skip on a long bar is you can run a size smaller power head for those situations here and there. Even with the long bars like a 60 it still vibrates with full skip but nothing like a 32 does, a 60” cannon is something that you can flex around in a cut vs a 32” cannon which is a fun treat to bend around your knee to roll a chain back on.

I don't have any vibration issues with my saws running skip chains. Most people around here run skip. Those that don't eventually do. Where I buy my chains it is mostly skip that is sold. In fact all 3/8 chains are skip, whereas only the .325 are anything else.

I don't have any vibration issues with my saws running skip chains. Most people around here run skip. Those that don't eventually do. Where I buy my chains it is mostly skip that is sold. In fact all 3/8 chains are skip, whereas only the .325 are anything else.

It depends on the wood. Skip sucks in hardwood. Especially if it’s dead and dry.

I thought the same thing until I moved from the midwest to Montana. Skip chain is definitely advantageous in Douglas Fir, Sub Alpine Fir, Lodge Pole Pine, etc IMO.

Chip clearance and cut speed is faster with Skip in the wood I mentioned based on my what I feel while cutting it. Have I done scientific test? No, I havent.

Doug fir is pretty good at clogging a cut up, one answer is more power the other is a skip configuration of some sort I prefer a semi skip it doesn’t vibrate as bad and still has more cutters.

Im current running a full skip on a 32” bar on a 385XP with a 3/8-7 sprocket. Just cut up a big oak with it. Never a single “vibration” issue.

I love skip chain.

Personal preference.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Im current running a full skip on a 32” bar on a 385XP with a 3/8-7 sprocket. Just cut up a big oak with it. Never a single “vibration” issue.

I love skip chain.

Personal preference.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Skip feels just fine on a 32" and less teeth to sharpen.[emoji106]

Any opinions on the timberline sharpener?
My son runs that sharpener and loves it. I have a Granburg file n joint and like it because it's faster but think the timberline is more accurate and precise. Just from my experience. Only saying this because it's very solid once set up, absolutely no variance

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back