New saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I need replace the chain of my sthil chainsaw, and even I buy it yesterday.

But I have some doubts about the next steep: should I put the new chain and start working or before start working should I put teh new chain in oil for some days? Some people tell me that before use a new chain, we must put it some days in oil.

What's your opinion?

Thanks

I have been using Stihl chain for many years, have never soaked a new one in oil. I, too, have read about doing that in a "generic" chainsaw book but have never bothered and have, far as I can tell, never harmed a chain by not doing it. In fact, I don't think I know anyone who does, unless they have cleaned the chain thoroughly with solvent to get rid of sap or something.

Only thing a new chain needs, according to me, anyhow, is to watch the tension when they are brand new as you may have to adjust it a few times sooner than with a "broken in" one.

New Chain

I like to make sure and over oil a new chain or one that has been cleaned in solvent by running at low speed and turning up the oiler if it is possible. When I sharpen a chain off the saw I spray it down with WD-40 and keep it in a plastic bag until I'm ready to use it.

Can never hurt a chain to use a lot of oil, but it can be messy it you are just running the saw without cutting any wood. I have splatters of oil all over my workshop from test running saws and oiling up the chains; I do tend to keep the saws on a piece of cardboard to soak up the excess when they are just sitting.

Mark

Back