New Saw for the Holidays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
272 was the first saw i ever used, grew up using my dads that he bought new in 91 i think. Still have it, mostly sits on the shelf though. The original husky one-saw-plan if ya asked me.
The first saw I used professionally.... well I wasn't really that professional then, was a 266 in 1981 when I started in the bush on Vancouver Island. The 266 cost 500$ then.

The first saw I used professionally.... well I wasn't really that professional then, was a 266 in 1981 when I started in the bush on Vancouver Island. The 266 cost 500$ then.
Good saw by the sounds of it. Hopefully brother-in-law won't change his mind and ask me for $100 or something like that. Ya, never know with him really.
I guess he didn't become a millionaire by spending more money than he made though. He owns a few apartment bldgs, some houses a large HVAC and plumbing business with like 30 trucks and staff of 16, so I think he's doing alright. My Sis is a millionaire too, but trying to get a penny from her is like squeezing a brick to get a drop of water. The two of them together have it made, financially speaking.
I'm doing ok though, good job, wonderful wife, nice house with lots of firewood and fun after-work activities. Yes, life is good.

Good saw by the sounds of it. Hopefully brother-in-law won't change his mind and ask me for $100 or something like that. Ya, never know with him really.
I guess he didn't become a millionaire by spending more money than he made though. He owns a few apartment bldgs, some houses a large HVAC and plumbing business with like 30 trucks and staff of 16, so I think he's doing alright. My Sis is a millionaire too, but trying to get a penny from her is like squeezing a brick to get a drop of water. The two of them together have it made, financially speaking.
I'm doing ok though, good job, wonderful wife, nice house with lots of firewood and fun after-work activities. Yes, life is good.

Sounds like you have it made sir. Life isn't all about the money as I'm sure you well believe. Of course it doesn't hurt to have the cushion but you can't take it with you. God-family-everything else. As long as I can care for my family no need for tons of money. And definitely nothing wrong with letting them throw you a bone(saw) every once in a while :)

Brother-in-law has a saw that he never uses and says I can have it if I want it. I'll get it when we go over for Christmas Day.
It's a Husky 72cc saw, Not sure of model but about 20 years old and hardly used over that time.
I'll give him something for it of course.
He likes cheese from our local maker here, Ivanhoe Cheese, Extra Old., Maybe some of that.
I'm sure my wife will have something to say about me owning a third saw....lol.

Speaking of bringing home another saw, I had a similar issue with the wife about often bringing home a load of firewood I always seem to scrounge up; sometimes once or twice a week if the tree service guys are going strong especially after a storm; so yeah, once in a while I'm late for supper, etc. So the last time I pulled in the driveway with a load of wood and was late for supper she started with the talk, so I calmly stopped the unloading, looked at her and said: " I can either bring home another woman or a load of firewood, up to you". Haven't heard a complaint since.

Even if a guy does firewood as a hobby it should be supported.

How many pastimes in this day and age actually save you money AND give you exercise??? None that I can think of other than doing firewood.

Secondly, if you shop smart, chainsaws mostly hold their value. You will get a kick in the pants if you pay retail but other than buying a Stihl there is no reason to do that.

Third, if you sell a few cords you can justify the expense of having pro saws and a good splitter for when you do your own firewood. It's a win win. The only thing anyone could gripe about is the time you spend away from home getting the wood.

How many pastimes in this day and age actually save you money AND give you exercise??? None that I can think of other than doing firewood.

Secondly, if you shop smart, chainsaws mostly hold their value. You will get a kick in the pants if you pay retail but other than buying a Stihl there is no reason to do that.

Third, if you sell a few cords you can justify the expense of having pro saws and a good splitter for when you do your own firewood. It's a win win. The only thing anyone could gripe about is the time you spend away from home getting the wood.

All sounds good and logical to me, though I have an outtie and not an innie... ;)

Exactly that: exercise, save some money, and the kids love the heat from the living room stove; I'll throw some extra cedar kindling on once in awhile just for the crackling sounds, and I hear oohs and aahs and "can we sleep in the living room tonight Dad?" Wife is totally on board, so she only took it half serious about the other woman vs firewood, she knows the scoop when I'm heading out the door in the morning in my office clothes carrying a set of work boots and coveralls in addition to the work issued laptop and then hooking up the military trailer and heading down the driveway....if there's another woman involved it's the homeowner who's trees and yard I'm cleaning up after work. :chop:

Good score! Hope it's a 272. Now all you need is a 254, 266, 281 and a 288.
Don't forget the Husky 353. It's about the only saw in the class of the Stihl 028 Super that can beat it. Mine runs a hair lean when you first start it, but once it warms up, it's a little monster of a saw. And it gets good fuel economy.

My wife said he same thing when I had just 2 saws...right now there's 8 but some will be sold and more bought :)

I was working on a saw at the dining room table (Isn't that what that table is for?) trying to get a small scsrew started when my wife walked by and asked if I wanted a new saw. Not thinking "I replied, No thanks, I have 4 already" Wives should not be allowed to talk when a chainsaw is being worked on. As for the 4 saws? She thought I only had 2. The 4 have grown to 7 (currently)...

I was working on a saw at the dining room table (Isn't that what that table is for?) trying to get a small scsrew started when my wife walked by and asked if I wanted a new saw. Not thinking "I replied, No thanks, I have 4 already" Wives should not be allowed to talk when a chainsaw is being worked on. As for the 4 saws? She thought I only had 2. The 4 have grown to 7 (currently)...

Very nice. I'm downsizing some... but that won't last forever lol. Have one on the Christmas giveaways and 3 under negotiations so to speak lol I'm trying to pick up an 046 and have money for kids presents

I don't ask what my wife spends on cloths, shoes, or her trips to the saalon and she doesn't ask what I spend money on for my hobbies. It helps most of my saws are orange so if a new one shows up she can't tell.....lol

Also any of the stuff I spend money on (tools, saws, guns, trucks, etc) all retain considerable resale value. Much more than any of the crap our ladies spend money on. I also could make a living, if ever needed, with my tools and equipment.

I don't ask what my wife spends on cloths, shoes, or her trips to the saalon and she doesn't ask what I spend money on for my hobbies. It helps most of my saws are orange so if a new one shows up she can't tell.....lol

Also any of the stuff I spend money on (tools, saws, guns, trucks, etc) all retain considerable resale value. Much more than any of the crap our ladies spend money on. I also could make a living, if ever needed, with my tools and equipment.
Good point, but they wont see it that way....of course.

Never bring up that fact. Just let her do what she does and feels good about and you the same, win/win and everyone is happy.

Good news, guys. The Husky 350 I bought on line was shipped today. It might make it here early next week. I know two senior guys besides me that are really going to love using it. This saw will be our community firewood saw and backup to my 353 that we really need to make sure that things get done.

Now all I have to do is make sure that it runs OK after it arrives. Then I have to deliver it. That's the fun part about playing Santa Claus. Ho Ho Ho!

Good deal on the new saw marine!!!!

Reading this thread made me think about something my girlfriend sent me the other day.

Same principle applies here. Lol

I guess that one would work with my guns or saws. I think my wife likes the guns better, they take up less room. The only time she notices a new gun is when I have to get a new safe, Joe.

Back