"new" saw... Nothing to write home about.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyndsurfr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a little saw at the flea market today a mcculloch eager beaver 2.0 CI ... never even seen one of these before, but it's practically new, with a nice little case, and I got it for $25 bucks with no haggling. seems to have pretty decent compression and starts right up. anyone used one of these before?

I got it for a truck saw, one I can keep in the toolbox (for which I have no keys) so if it gets stolen, I won't cry. Figured it would be great for on the 4 wheeler around the farm too, with it and my paslode gun I should be able to do carpentry without a generator now. For the record, I have a 372xp and a husqvarna 55 so it's not like I plan on relying on this little booger, just couldn't pass up a brand new looking saw for $25 dollars.

I honestly wouldn't have passed up that deal either...even thou I have no need for it...!!!

If it gets you out of just one awkward situation...it's paid for itself..!!! LOL!!
Congrats...!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Some would say the seller shoulda paid you to take it!
Just replaced the fuel line on one that was given to me and when it dies for good I'll place it in the trash. I've got a Husky top handle for light limbing, even then it's not as lightweight as the Eager Beaver. Don't have a source for parts, not sure I should be messing with a saw that cheap anyway, but it does fine as a backup or second limbing saw.
Just remember, a sharp chain on a Eager Beaver beats a dull chain on a top handle pro saw.
Steve

I've been reading lots of bashing on these little critters. This one runs like a champ right now, guess I'll just give it away if it ever quits running. I figure for $25 bucks a running saw with a case ain't bad even if it is an eager beaver (or wildthing :tongue2: )

Should be ok for what I'm using it for, camping, nice steal-able truck saw, and something to put on the 4 wheeler and cut 2x4's with.
I was out hunting all evening so I haven't even put it to wood yet, probably do that first thing in the morning.

And for all the haters out there, when it gives up on me, it'll make a great anchor for my john boat, or maybe I can figure out something funny to do with it... leave it on the side of the road for someone to "find" and spend hours cussing trying to make it work hehehe

Quite honestly, they are good little saws, but there's a heavy price to be paid for getting all that machinery into something the size of a softball. They scream, but NO ONE wants to work on them.

Are these things even made anymore? Anyone got a source for the occasional maintenance part?

2.0" Eager Beavers came in two styles.

You have the typical top handle PITA to fix.
View attachment 199442
attachment.php

Try to buy them in mint condition. I did.

And the regular configuration NSPITA (not so PITA) to fix.
View attachment 199443
attachment.php

Just make certain they have good compression before expending any effort.

hehe, sorry for the no pics, PITA for me to post them. Not like I'd be making it up anyhow, now if I said I'd just bought my 372xp for $25 bucks well, that's another story ;-) I do seem to be good at finding deals though, got my 372xp for trading my husky 350 and $100 bucks. Got my 55 for $150, and got my 346xp for $125 (it's pretty rough though).

The little eager beaver runs great, starts easier than any of my pro saws and since it won't be used very often it "might" last a while. I was just wanting a little feedback on it, so it seems like if it takes a crap on me I'd better just pass it along and look for another cheap truck saw. Probably be a happier human being if I do that, since I hate working on small things (not that a small beaver is bad mind you).

I cut with it a little this morning, kinda hard to get used to the weird little handle and throttle, but it cut great. I'm very happy with it and for $25 bucks like someone said earlier, if it'll run one time that a tree is across a road, then it's been worth it.

Can anyone tell me what the little wire trigger doo-dad is on it? is it a choke or a primer? It's spring loaded and pops back up after you release it...

hehe, sorry for the no pics, PITA for me to post them. Not like I'd be making it up anyhow, now if I said I'd just bought my 372xp for $25 bucks well, that's another story ;-) I do seem to be good at finding deals though, got my 372xp for trading my husky 350 and $100 bucks. Got my 55 for $150, and got my 346xp for $125 (it's pretty rough though).

The little eager beaver runs great, starts easier than any of my pro saws and since it won't be used very often it "might" last a while. I was just wanting a little feedback on it, so it seems like if it takes a crap on me I'd better just pass it along and look for another cheap truck saw. Probably be a happier human being if I do that, since I hate working on small things (not that a small beaver is bad mind you).

I cut with it a little this morning, kinda hard to get used to the weird little handle and throttle, but it cut great. I'm very happy with it and for $25 bucks like someone said earlier, if it'll run one time that a tree is across a road, then it's been worth it.

Can anyone tell me what the little wire trigger doo-dad is on it? is it a choke or a primer? It's spring loaded and pops back up after you release it...

Manual oiler overide.

Nice try - if it runs well you know damn well you're gonna end up liking the little booger. Then you'll get attached to it and want to take care of it.

When you say override, I thought it was the ONLY way to provide oil to the chain. Is that correct?

I thought they all had an automatic oiler, maybe some don't .

Look at the bar end at the bottom left and find a small hole. If it isn't plugged up with saw chips you can see the head of a screw thru the hole. That is the adjusment for the rate of auto oiling.

Good luck.

I figure for $25 bucks a running saw with a case ain't bad even if it is an eager beaver (or wildthing :tongue2: )

Well if you like them and want to spend your $25 on one of those eager critters go ahead, its your money and trouble but please don't ever slam a Wild Thing like that by putting it in the same sentence with it. LOL

hehe, I do have to say it's absolutely positively and most definitely the most awkward little saw I've ever held in my hands. It's got a 14 inch bar on it, which I think is way too big (however it's not worth me buying a b/c for it), the handle is way too small and close to the throttle, and the throttle handle is placed so that the balance of the saw is all screwy. It's good for what it is being used for though (which is hardly ever) and should make for a really great prank one day. If it ever does quit on me, maybe I'll pour a little bit of muriatic acid down the bore and then leave it on the side of the road... Is that wrong?

as awkward as it is, it is a very good running saw. It really screams. And I was impressed that it has a working chain brake as well.

Back