New saws in the stable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been away for awhile. I've had so much firewood cut ahead that I haven't had to use a chainsaw for much other than a little trimming or storm cleanup here and there. Wood pile is getting low and I have a lot of dead ash to cut (emerald ash bore damage).

The stable was paired down to a Dolmar 7900 and Dolmar 5100S, plus picked up and EFCO 152 to see how it stacked up. Also grabbed one of the Hitachi top handles at Menards when they were selling for $99 with rebate. It's handy for the small stuff (and easy on my back), but not going to win any races.

Cutting wood again and I have the itch (besides the poison ivy variety). I picked up a lightly used EFCO 156 and promptly swapped out the P&C for a new OEM 162 version. Always wanted to try a 162 (or Deere CS62), and I really like the saw. Strong runner (after I took the plug out of the fuel tank vent anyway - not sure what the previous owner was thinking - probably why it was lightly used). Reminds me of a Husqvarna 262XP, and every bit as strong.

Was kicking myself for not hanging onto a Dolmar PS-401 back when I was a dealer. Found an almost new one on eBay recently and luckily was able to get it. Put a 14" bar and Stihl 63PS chisel chain on it and wow! Light and fast. The little Hitachi top handle may never get started again. The PS-401 is advertised at 8.8 lbs on the powerhead. All the new 40cc saws weigh too much, might as well grab a 50 cc saw. I blame the EPA.

Been trying to make some running saws out of left overs. Put together an older style Solo 651. Needed a new piston and rings mainly. The cylinder was the first one I ever tried porting and is not ideal, but I was able to get it to run pretty strong and it has some nostalgia to it.

Also had most of a Dolmar 115 that I thought could make a saw out of. Ended up getting a Makita DCS520 on eBay thinking I'd convert it to the 115 cylinder. Come to find out they have the same closed port cylinder (exact same PN). Only difference was the Makita had a single ring piston and the Dolmar a 2 ring piston. The Makita P & C still looked like new, so I decided I'd practice some porting on the Dolmar cylinder and and leave the Makita parts alone. Pulled the base gasket, widened the intake and exhaust ports 2mm, raised the exhaust 1mm, lowered the intake 1mm, and polished the transfers. Squish ended up at ~.020" and timing ended up at 103 on the exhaust, 124 on the transfers, and 71 on the intake. I put the older 115 muffler on it without any MM. She turned out great. Sounds like a KX500 dirt bike at idle, and pulls a 8pin .325 pitch on a 16" bar with authority. And the best part, it starts with about 2-3 inches of pull on the stater, hot and cold.

In terms of cutting speed of the 50cc saws, the new Makita is in the lead, the Dolmar 5100S and the Solo 651 are 2nd, and 3rd but not far behind. The Efco 152 is a little more distant 4th.

Now the problem is with all these saws to play with I'm almost stocked back up on wood. Once the barn is full I'll probably start having withdrawal.

Welcome back! I'm still running the 7900 you sold me way back when!

Awesome. I remember. It's all coming back to me now. You actually stopped out if I recall. Too bad how things panned out with Dolmar, or more so their distributors. They make a good product but even today just don't seem to have a solid marketing strategy. Give credit to Stihl and somewhat E-lux. Just goes to show you that you don't always have to have the best product, just the best marketing.

I still love my 7900, but my back isn't so fond of it, and I don't cut much that gets over 18-20" anyway. I've heard it said before on the site, the older I get the smaller my favorite saw becomes! That PS-401 is going to get a lot of use!!

What I find great is that I also have some of the equipment you mentioned. I have the Oleo Mac 962 equal to the Efco 162 just different color. I also have the 32cc Hitachi TH saw, which I personally find is a nice saw for 30cc, a little heavy but still ok.
If you prefer a light but powerful saw look for a Hitachi CS38EK or EL model. There is a equivalent model from Tanaka ECV 3801 / ECV 4501. You will love them. Stock rpm 14500, weight 4kg, full mag split case. Just the right package for men already prefering lighter tools. How do I like to say, work smarter not harder... :D

Awesome. I remember. It's all coming back to me now. You actually stopped out if I recall. Too bad how things panned out with Dolmar, or more so their distributors. They make a good product but even today just don't seem to have a solid marketing strategy. Give credit to Stihl and somewhat E-lux. Just goes to show you that you don't always have to have the best product, just the best marketing.

I still love my 7900, but my back isn't so fond of it, and I don't cut much that gets over 18-20" anyway. I've heard it said before on the site, the older I get the smaller my favorite saw becomes! That PS-401 is going to get a lot of use!!

Yup, I came by a few times, back in 2005 I think.

Ended up with a handful of 7900s, but never run them anymore for precisely the reason you cite: there is little around that exceeds 20", and even less that requires more than 20" of bar. Particularly for falling, why bother when a ported 50cc will do just as well? For blocking stuff up into firewood and making the same cut over and over, then it makes sense, at least in trunks. And even then, they usually wear a short bar and 8t rim...

I've looked at some of the other Hitachi/Tanaka saws and wondered if they are competitive. The 32cc top handle is a consumer grade saw, and your right, too heavy for no more saw than it is. The CS38EK looks to be spec-wise almost identical to the Dolmar PS-401. I'm not sure I can get that model in the U.S. though.

I drug a pretty nice ash log up to the house today and thought I'd take the opportunity to time some cuts. See the video, my son did the editing.

Only big surprise was how much the Solo lagged. I know the port job was less than stellar, being my first attempt. I'm not sure if it is even faster than stock.

The Makita hung right in there. I think there is a couple areas to improve it yet. Muffler mod is one, and intake duration is the other. Can't lower the intake port any more due to the way the impulse pathway is cut in the cylinder. I could take a little off the piston skirt to get closer to 80 degrees. It's at 71 degrees currently. Any recommendations from the more experienced builders?

Welcome back from a way newer member, and a neighbor of sorts, I'm right up the street in Lowell:hi:.

Hello neighbor. Your not too far away.

Spent some more time on the Makita. Trimmed 1mm give or take off the piston skirt which brought my intake timing to 75 degrees. Also matched the transfers to the case a little better. Seems to rev quicker and cuts great. I took down another good sized ash and I'll drag the log up to the house and time the Dolmar 5100s against the Makita Dcs520 using the same bar and chain and see what I've got. I guess I'm not doing too bad since I've got a 3.2 hp saw cutting right with a 3.9 hp saw now and the Makita starts and idles much better than the Dolmar.

Hello neighbor. Your not too far away.

Spent some more time on the Makita. Trimmed 1mm give or take off the piston skirt which brought my intake timing to 75 degrees. Also matched the transfers to the case a little better. Seems to rev quicker and cuts great. I took down another good sized ash and I'll drag the log up to the house and time the Dolmar 5100s against the Makita Dcs520 using the same bar and chain and see what I've got. I guess I'm not doing too bad since I've got a 3.2 hp saw cutting right with a 3.9 hp saw now and the Makita starts and idles much better than the Dolmar.
Nope not at all. The first Kubota I bought was from down that way on the north side of town, right by the JD dealer on m-37.
That sounds great, must have been just what the makita needed.
Do you have a lot of ash at your place down there.

Computeruser was that a 520 you just sold Jonathan.

Got a chance to time the Makita DCS520 and Dolmar 5100s again.

Two cuts in about 12" ash

Dolmar 20 sec and 18 sec
Makita 16 sec and 16 sec :clap:

And the Makita still has a stock muffler from an older style 115.

Got a chance to time the Makita DCS520 and Dolmar 5100s again.

Two cuts in about 12" ash

Dolmar 20 sec and 18 sec
Makita 16 sec and 16 sec :clap:

And the Makita still has a stock muffler from an older style 115.

Obviously there is something wrong with your 5100. 4 second difference out of 2cc difference, NEVER in this world is your 5100 working correctly!

7sleeper, not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic, but the Dolmar 5100s runs great. It is just stock. I've ported the DCS520.

The two saws were neck and neck in the video, but after the last changes (intake to 75 degrees from 71 and matching transfers to case) the Makita has pulled ahead. Stock there would be no comparison between a Dolmar 5100s and Makita DCS520, or even a Dolmar 115i (Makita DCS5200i). The 5100s is a strong 50cc saw. I don't know how it compares to the new generation of 50cc saws, but I'm certain when it was introduced there was nothing in the class that was faster.

Here's the video. It was getting sort of dark for the Makita so the quality is a little poor. I didn't run the same chain, but both chains were sharpened prior and at the same time with the same settings on my grider using CBN wheels.

7sleeper, not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic, but the Dolmar 5100s runs great. It is just stock. I've ported the DCS520.

The two saws were neck and neck in the video, but after the last changes (intake to 75 degrees from 71 and matching transfers to case) the Makita has pulled ahead. Stock there would be no comparison between a Dolmar 5100s and Makita DCS520, or even a Dolmar 115i (Makita DCS5200i). The 5100s is a strong 50cc saw. I don't know how it compares to the new generation of 50cc saws, but I'm certain when it was introduced there was nothing in the class that was faster.
@TonyM ,
Didn't know that your 520 was modded. Of course that explains everything! And yes the 5100 was the strongest 50cc saw when it was introduced.

Latest posts

Back