New skidsteer log splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finished this thing in February ’12, and have been loving it ever since, just now getting around to putting up some pictures here for everybody to enjoy.

I had to load all my logs, big and small, onto my old splitter, and that was sure getting old. I have a skisdsteer that I just use for chores around the house and for fetching and dragging logs, so I figured I’d get some more use out of that and save my back at the same time.

Not a very expensive build at all, I bought a new 5”x24” cylinder, new hoses and couplers, and the attachment plate the whole thing mounts to. I’ve got a few bucks wrapped up in steel, but most of the steel I had laying around just waiting for a project to belong to.

I’ll try to get some pics up on here if I can figure out how, enjoy!

Looks like you did good. :rock:

Nice Pictures. Thanks for posting..

Very nice! I am planning to build one myself. What would you say is or was the toughest or most complicated part? Or the part that took the most thinking?

Tia,

Kip

luckydad, that's a DAKA add-on style wood burner. it's served me well for several years, but just last year i put in a trane water to air heat exchanger that was getting scrapped out of an old industrial building. i have the Central Boiler outside so i just plumbed a different loop off of that, hell of a lot easier to just tend to 1 fire, and i can heat the garage faster with the new one.

kipper, i can't really say what the hardest part was, i had been thinking about the design for a couple years. it was all really in my head, just had to make sure to get measurements right to keep everything in sync. the old adage is right, "measure twice, cut once"

kipper, i can't really say what the hardest part was, i had been thinking about the design for a couple years. it was all really in my head, just had to make sure to get measurements right to keep everything in sync. the old adage is right, "measure twice, cut once"

i do that to, build it a hundred times at night in my head before i pass out. nice job!

Great minds must think alike !!! I do the same thing as well. I am ready to start now. If you dont mind I do have a few questions.

What thickness plate did you use for the cylinder mount?

How long is the stroke on your cylinder?

About how heavy would you say this is?

Thanks,
Kip

Back