New Smoke Baffle/Water Jacket Addition For the Boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The neighbor has been talking about building an add on smoke baffle/water jacket for the boiler that goes between the stove pipe out of the boiler and the chimney. We hope this will gain some burn time.

He designed one up, took the plans to the local steel place, they sheared the needed pieces, and bent some of them up.

Steel was ready Monday and he got to welding.

This is the front. It goes water jacket, smoke, water jacket, smoke, water jacket on top.
C57AD3C2-8FC4-47B2-A333-D5F28BB4C7B6_zpsviukfbus.jpg

Back, that is the inlet from the boiler.
0C574DA0-0DFC-4D29-8A45-822EDE1BADA3_zpslaw3pc7n.jpg

F4C5F03C-ED71-48D8-9ACF-3E50808A9215_zpsgf00ubkn.jpg

Front.
D4476214-6A2D-4002-A757-54B0C6E819CB_zpsvfkld8iw.jpg

Finished back. A clean out plate goes over the bottom.
2024BEE5-CC70-43FE-993A-50057082D073_zps3wvkpwwi.jpg

Pretty much done. This....sucker......is......heavy. It's pushing 400 lbs. It was a bear to pick up and spin around on the saw horses.
2CC220DA-05DB-45E8-84E4-A841471F2F21_zpsadqpqnzo.jpg

This is the front cover with two additional air inlet tubes that run the length and dump at the inlet from the boiler. The "goal" is to try and create a secondary burn by the air pre-heated in the tubes before it comes out. If it doesn't work, no harm no foul.
6019EF3C-15AB-486E-B23A-F5464A3B09AE_zpswwy1tsuy.jpg

Installed. Used the telehandler to get it up and in then on about 2/3's of the way. Neighbor was running the telehandler and I was inside yelling, guiding, and herfing. We then barred it into place. Ufda, that was a job.

146DE599-CDA3-4806-8BF6-B4E8AC167EBE_zpsa7yenpfj.jpg

The inlet water is the return from the shop, through the add on, then feeds into the stove water jacket.

The water in the addition is 20 degrees hotter than the water jacket on the boiler. Hopefully this will require less work on the boilers part to keep things in line.

ETA - Refiring the stove yesterday evening put us way behind the curve of catching up getting everything back to temp.

I went out this morning and it was dead out. Water temp was 70 (mind you the shut off is 120) and upper water temp was 90.

I got the stove going at 430 and it shut off 7. It is also -12 temp this morning.

A 2.5 hour time from dead to up at temp and off is unheard of for this stove, especially at subzero temps. The firebox is 1/2" steel, so it takes a while for transferring heat.

We are going to make a little interim insulation house for the add on this morning to help with keeping it warm. It was left neked yesterday just to check for any potential issues.

Ufda, of Norwegian descent?? Family take a week long fishing trip to north western Wisconsin and we sure love eating at the the Norske Nook.

Been out playing with the ir thermometer this morning.

There is a 120 degree drop from the inlet of the chamber out of the firebox to the outlet into the chimney.

The outlet pipe temp into the chimney with the stove rolling is 200 degrees. At idle its 130.

Time from fan on to fan off and up to temp is 20 minutes.

This is the "smoke" out of the chimney running full tilt. It is -12 or colder out. Reminds me of a cooling tower.

Is there a way for condensation to get out if you get wet stuff condensing out in the flue gas part of the box? Have you seen any yet?

Would be interested in seeing pics of the inside after a week or so of burning.

Also, between the 400 lbs, and what the water weighs inside - that's a lot of extra weight on top of your boiler. Hope she's rugged!

Rugged is an understatement. That's part of the heat transfer problem.

Yes. There are clean outs in each end.

Condensation is a non issue. The water coming in is at 100-110 from the shop return. It's not straight cold water.

Also, neighbor informed me it's over 400 lbs dry.

There are 2 complete sheets of 4' x 8' x 3/16" steel used for this. Each sheet weighs 244 lbs.

Maybe that's why I'm sore today.

i hope the wood you are burning is not the snow covered stack?

You have a good neighbor/friend and should feel very blessed. Steel, welding, and fabrication costs a bunch of money :( it looks like he did a great job.

The guy is my best friend and I live in his "mother in law" house. He is my landlord and I am his guard dog/gardener/ wood processor.

To me, neighbor sounds better than land lord. His house is 10 feet from mine. The wood heat is for the shop and their house and I am blessed to have friends like this.

This addition is proving itself to be very successful so far concerning wood usage and burn times.

Granted the only healthy sub zero day we have had was Thanksgiving, the day after we installed it. Lots of playing with the forced air and IR thermometer to get things quasi figured out.

The end of this week coming up should be a good test for it.

Latest posts

Back