New Spanners for engine rebuilds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havn`t needed to buy a wrench since the mid 80`s as I bought all mine during the late 60`s on to the mid 70`s, good ole NA made stuff that lasts many lifetimes, pass them on when I am gone. Today`s offerings are not near quality wise as I watch the young fellers buy new tools that just don`t cut it unless bought off the trucks, Mac or Snap On, we lost the Herbrand dealers, their stuff was top notch as well. Armstrong makes good gear but very pricey through the supply houses..

I really miss Sears and the USA made craftsman stuff. Most of my tools are those from the 70s-80s, along with Snap On and S-K

beautiful mate, what wonderful tools.

I couldn't afford to buy the Snap On tools I have these days. Glad I have them and took care of them.

I like to hit garage sales, sometimes you real nice vintage quality tools cheap. Another place to look is farm auctions.

I’ve had my Craftsman tools since ‘77 from my bodyshop days. The darker wrenches on the left I got from my dad. They’re made in the USA. Another little known manufacturer from back in the day is Gray Tools made in Canada. The smaller breaker bar is a Gray. I have a 1/2” Gray ratchet too.
I have some specialty sockets from Snap-on and Mac that Craftsman never made.
6a22a989a4d1c6993eab4019689aede2.jpg

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

Not a spanner, but a very handy hand tool. Was ~$50 in 70s, now list is >$300.

I used to wrench motorcycles, the case screws were phillips and easily stripped. I got one of these and almost never stripped another screw unless already buggered.

It works great on saws too, just get some torx bits.

It's impact actuated using a light hammer blow, so it makes the bit stay in the screw/bolt head. Much better than electric or air. 3/8 drive.

1 snappy impact.png

I’ve had my Craftsman tools since ‘77 from my bodyshop days. The darker wrenches on the left I got from my dad. They’re made in the USA. Another little known manufacturer from back in the day is Gray Tools made in Canada. The smaller breaker bar is a Gray. I have a 1/2” Gray ratchet too.
I have some specialty sockets from Snap-on and Mac that Craftsman never made.
6a22a989a4d1c6993eab4019689aede2.jpg

Retired guy from SE Manitoba
Not many guys that still remember that Gray tools had separate divisions/ partnerships but the very finest Gray Bonney tools were coveted by the professionals and the Gray Mapleaf branded tools were a favorite with the home handyman. Husky tools from the 70`s were also very well made whether combination wrenches or socket sets. I owned a 700 piece Craftsman set, I gave it to my youngest brother right after he finished trade school, that gave him enough tools to start right in at his trade, he still has them but mostly replaced them with Snap On like just about every mechanic that worked in large shops.

Bonner, Wright, Thorsen, Challenger, Giller, VLCheck, Williams and Kraeuter are some others (mostly one offs) I have that have held up very well. There are actually a lot of older brands that offered good wrenches. I have a set of Allen brand as well that seem to be decent. My Truecraft (made in Japan) socket set has been with me for 35 years and never failed me and I have tortured them.

My tool collection is embarrassing. My grandfather was a milliner in UK and then in Australia. During WW2 my Dad who had boilermaker training took over and made hats, coats, gloves, canvas goods, etc. for the Armed Forces. Both did all their own maintenance and repairs on all their factory machinery and equipment, think oil fired steam furnaces, autoclaves, 40 foot long cutting tables, industrial sewing machines, delivery trucks........

I have ALL their tools.

Then I bought my own.

Then, because people know I have a few tools whenever someone was moving overseas or their father/relative had died guess who ended up with yet another tool collection.

My nephew in his 50s recently took an interest in fixing stuff and after spending time with me decided to tool up. He bought quality stuff and I was particularly impressed with his Bahco 1/4" tool set.

Good tools are still available but not cheaply.

"Quality remains when price has been long forgotten".

Latest posts

Back