New splitter - American CLS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a nice looking splitter, looks like you'll be keeping it busy for a while! Pat yourself on the back for upgrading to the Honda, I just replaced my old B&S with a Honda, what a world of difference. Starts on the first pull and no need for earplugs anymore. Nice choice!

That's my only complaint with the tecumseh engine on my splitter. The thing is dead reliable and starts first time every time, but I have to wear shooting muffs as it's just too noisey. I'm very protective of the ears anyway as so I'm always wearing plugs running equiptment and riding a motorcycle but you would think they could get the db's down a notch. The Honda's are quieter though for sure.:cheers:

Normally you would hold the log in place with one hand while operating the forward control lever with the other. Doesn't the log lift assembly make it awkward to reach across to the control. I don't have long arms, is it in the way such that this would be a problem?

I haven't seen this brand locally and the websites don't have dealer listings. Mind telling us what you paid for the outfit and options? Hey, and I like those carts too.

Hummer

I Stand on the other side of the splitter - in between the two carts, so I can fill them while I work. That means you do need to walk around the splitter to roll more logs to the lift, but that's a fair trade for not having to lift them.

When my GF isn't PO'd at me, she'll give me a hand stacking, and if I've already rolled a few chunks near the splitter, she'll kick one onto the lift when she walks by.:cheers:

It hurts to say it, but that splitter ran almost to $3500 with delivery, and I hear they had a price increase due to material costs and fuel since then. My car cost me less than that! :dizzy:

On the other hand, the log carts were really cheap. $29 each on sale from harbor freight. I bought 4, and use the crap out of them. If there is bad weather coming, I fill all 4 with wood and roll them into my covered porch, which gives the rest of the wood time to dry out before I need to burn it.

They are made out of junk metal though. The one on the right in the top photo broke at the rear support, just after I took that picture. There was rust *IN* the welds, so obviously their material prep isn't very good. I taco'd a wheel on another one just rolling from the grass to the driveway. They're so soft I was able to straighten it with nothing more than my hands and body weight.:dizzy:
But I couldn't build anything that cheap, and who has time? I have wood to split!

Actually, I like what looks like your Cedar Tongue & Groove shed.

Honda Engine = 1 pull 1 start.

Dale,
It's board and batten cedar and came from your neck of the woods:

http://www.shedsandgazebos.com/storage-sheds-pine-board.asp

You, can't really tell, but I had to regrade a big area just so it had a level spot to sit. Then I didn't have time to build it, and it's not easy to get good quality cedar around here, so I just ordered the whole thing! Once it was here, I put a couple of coats of Penofin on it and built the ramps. DONE!

Turner-N-Burner, thank you for the explanation. It's an impressive unit and a good investment, even at that (ouch!) cost. I've never regretted buying a good quality tool.

sweet looking splitter you got there, just wish i could dump that kinda cash on a splitter. looks as if it did have the operator in mind, lift is handy, only thing better would be someone else doing the work.

TNB,

Would it be better to have the log lift on the other side? If you operate it from the same side as the log lift, does the log lift hinder you when repositioning logs? I want an american similar to what you have, just have some questions. Thanks in advance.

Waylan

Waylan,
I think the lift would be in your way - it sticks out a good bit. It has to, to be big enough to hold larger rounds

If you're tall, you might be able to make it work, but even then, I think it would be very awkward.

TNB,

So you operate from the opposite side of the log lift? If so, I was making a bad assumption that you operated it from the driver's side, if pulling with a truck.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back