New Stihl FS 250 Trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindlingKing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My lovely wife added the Stihl FS 250 Trimmer to my growing stable of Stihl products this past Saturday (Birthday present). :clap::clap::clap:

She let me pick out whatever trimmer I wanted. Almost got the FS 90 but I couldn't resist the big 'ol two stroke brute. I also wasn't sure the FS 90 would have the grunt I need to clear all the heavy grass and mustard plant that covers my hill. I got the bike handle version and love it. Comes with the full harness and has power to spare. Never thought I'd actually have fun clearing the weeds off my hill but can't wait to go back out tomorrow after work.

Anyone have any experience with the polycut heads? These looked pretty cool and I thought I might pick one up if folks have favorable things to say.

I also recenly bought one of those bad boys, gotta love power. You should try out that steel brush blade for it. They are WICKED. Been working on clearing salmon berry bushes, holly trees, black berry bushes, and tall matted grass on my land I'm trying to clear.

Never tried a poly head though.

I can't understand how you can use that small machines to trim grass.
The smallest I would consider would be a FS450 / FS480 /345 RX. I hope you are not in a hurry.

just mounted a large polyhead on my FS250, but have not had a chance to use it yet... got the smaller polyhead at same time.

loads of great feedback on using Stihl polyheads for brush.

normally will use the std stihl string feed head with .095 line. pretty happy with performance. an excellent mini-brush hog for smaller areas of overgrown grass.

FS 250 barely slows down when mowing overgrown grass. loads of grunt! don't think I'd need anything heavier like FS450...

Great tool. I went to hell and back to get a fs250 with a loop handle last summer. For general trimming, I find the loops are a lot easier to use than the bike handles. Never used a poly head. For thick weeds or heavy grass, I like the 9” three point brush blade. Once you get the swing of it, you can just pin the throttle, walk steadily forward and cut a 6-7’ path like a power scythe. I really want to get an fs550 but that thing is like $1300. You can buy 3 FS250 for that kind of money!

Thanks for all the good feedback. I've run into quite a few small boulders/rocks with the string head. I have my little boy clearing the land of the rocks after I cut the grass and weeds over (not while I'm trimming) and am thinking I won't try a polyhead on the property until we've (he) cleared all the rocks out. We just bought the property and are clearing out all the junk from the previous owner. I'm guessing that polyheads and rocks just are not as compatible as the string head attachment. If you've found otherwise, let me know.

Thanks,

I love my FS250 with bike-handles and the 'orange' harness.

Before I had even cut any grass, I put the Lakerized™ muffler mod to it. It's super-easy on this model, just remove the shroud & then the muffler. Remove the tiny little corked-up spark arrestor outlet, then braze/MIG/TIG a piece of tube onto the flange. Pick up the spark screen & clip for a TS400(?) readjust the mix, and you're all set.

I set max RPM on mine with an empty spool on there, and it only slows a little with a full load. It positively attacks the lawn! :greenchainsaw: and has a nice loud tone.

I thought about getting a 4 line-trimmer head for my FS360 (same chassis as a 550, less a few ccs) but that would be way overkill. It's a heavy beast & very thirsty. The 250 fills the gap between the big-boy and my little loop-handle Husky 123L perfectly... Actually it's mostly replaced the Husky, I don't think I even used that since the 250 came home.

I have one of those fS250's ,,Once they get wound up ,lookout wicked!!

Anyone have a IPL with all the attachments ??

Last edited:
Try .155 line vs the poly-heads.

I tried the poly-heads on my Jonsered GR2036. In rough rocky terrain or along stone walls they just did not fair all that well. I broke down and bought a Husky Trimmy Fix head for it. I'm sure Stihl has a similar type head to fit the FS250. You pre-cut the line to around 9 inches and insert it into the head. Centrifugal dogs hold it in place. Use a good quality .155 line and you can mow and take out heavy grass and light brush very quickly. I usually carry a couple dozen pre-cut lengths and a pair of needle nose pliers to make pulling the stub end out of the head easier.

Believe it or not this set up works almost as well as the steel 3 point brush blades and you don't have to worry about hitting rocks or stumps. Also play with the cutting speeds. I find in many cases the brush cutter performs better at a lower rpm than at WOT.

One other suggestion if you're going to use the machine for extended periods of time is to get an upgraded harness. I ordered the Jonsered Vector Slashing harness through my dealer after running the GR2036 for a couple of days straight when clearing around stone walls and tall grass on the rifle range at the gun club. It was money very well spent. The machine balances better and the design of the harness adds a lot of support.

One last suggestion on this long winded post. Speaking from experience, learn how to get out of the harness or drop the trimmer as fast as you can. If you hit a nest of mud wasps or yellow jackets with the trimmer head you don't want to be making your hasty retreat with the machine attached. It's very hard to swat, run, and hold on to the trimmer at the same time. The optional swearing is not an issue. When things calm down you can always go back and pick up the brush cutter.

Enjoy the new Brush Cutter.

Take Care

The FS250 has to be king of the hill for power to weight. I run 2.4mm square line in universal heads and very rarely a blade.
The muffler modded one is a beast.

If you got the Stihl Comfort harness your set! There is no better on the market. Thats the one with the rigid plastic back.

Try .155 line vs the poly-heads.

I tried the poly-heads on my Jonsered GR2036. In rough rocky terrain or along stone walls they just did not fair all that well. I broke down and bought a Husky Trimmy Fix head for it. I'm sure Stihl has a similar type head to fit the FS250. You pre-cut the line to around 9 inches and insert it into the head. Centrifugal dogs hold it in place. Use a good quality .155 line and you can mow and take out heavy grass and light brush very quickly. I usually carry a couple dozen pre-cut lengths and a pair of needle nose pliers to make pulling the stub end out of the head easier.

Believe it or not this set up works almost as well as the steel 3 point brush blades and you don't have to worry about hitting rocks or stumps. Also play with the cutting speeds. I find in many cases the brush cutter performs better at a lower rpm than at WOT.

One other suggestion if you're going to use the machine for extended periods of time is to get an upgraded harness. I ordered the Jonsered Vector Slashing harness through my dealer after running the GR2036 for a couple of days straight when clearing around stone walls and tall grass on the rifle range at the gun club. It was money very well spent. The machine balances better and the design of the harness adds a lot of support.

One last suggestion on this long winded post. Speaking from experience, learn how to get out of the harness or drop the trimmer as fast as you can. If you hit a nest of mud wasps or yellow jackets with the trimmer head you don't want to be making your hasty retreat with the machine attached. It's very hard to swat, run, and hold on to the trimmer at the same time. The optional swearing is not an issue. When things calm down you can always go back and pick up the brush cutter.

Enjoy the new Brush Cutter.

Take Care

I checked one of these Trimmy Fix heads out today (generic version that fits stihl). Am going to pick one up next weekend. They look really well designed.

Keep us posted on how you like that Stihl trimmer. I considered buying one last year to replace my Honda, but after hearing several reports of how they are known for the recoils breaking, I passed up on it.
A friend of my family does small engine repair on the side, so he goes to a lot of estate auctions and buys lawn and garden equipment for cheap, fixes them and then sells them.
He swears by Stihl chainsaws but he has always said that he would never buy a Stihl trimmer because of the recoil problems. According to him, if he had a dollar for every Stihl trimmer he seen with a busted recoil, he'd be a very rich man.
Not saying that will happen to your Stihl, but everything Ive heard thus far about Stihl trimmers from everyone but those on this site definetly hasnt been good.

You lucky SOB. I wish someone would buy me a FS250 for my b-day. I'll be in the market for a new trimmer this spring. I'm eyeing the Stihl 130 and 110. I like them over the 100 because you can run the brush blades. A lot of pro's use Shindaiwa's around here. Never used one myself.

You lucky SOB. I wish someone would buy me a FS250 for my b-day. I'll be in the market for a new trimmer this spring. I'm eyeing the Stihl 130 and 110. I like them over the 100 because you can run the brush blades. A lot of pro's use Shindaiwa's around here. Never used one myself.

I looked real hard at the FS 90, 110, and 130. My buddy has the FS 90 and loves it. He says it has a ton of torque. He's a landscaper and has had several stihl trimmers over the last 25 years. He won't use another brand. He told me the FS 90 is the best trimmer of all those that he has bought. I got the FS 250 because it is two stroke. My dealer said the new 4-mix engines are great but he said servicing is more expensive and that they need the valves adjusted every so often. I sure am drawn to the low (read "no") maintenance aspects of a 2-stroke. My chainsaws get used a lot and they never need servicing. I hear the new 4-mix engines are quieter and are more fuel efficient. Tough decision but best of luck!

P.S. I got the FS 250 because it was only about $50 more than the FS 130.

Keep us posted on how you like that Stihl trimmer. I considered buying one last year to replace my Honda, but after hearing several reports of how they are known for the recoils breaking, I passed up on it.
A friend of my family does small engine repair on the side, so he goes to a lot of estate auctions and buys lawn and garden equipment for cheap, fixes them and then sells them.
He swears by Stihl chainsaws but he has always said that he would never buy a Stihl trimmer because of the recoil problems. According to him, if he had a dollar for every Stihl trimmer he seen with a busted recoil, he'd be a very rich man.
Not saying that will happen to your Stihl, but everything Ive heard thus far about Stihl trimmers from everyone but those on this site definetly hasnt been good.

Don't have enough hours on mine to tell yet, but with the 20+hours it seems great. Lots of power. FWIW, the people I have talked to said that the Stihl's were the only way to go for the trimmer. I was looking at Honda's four stroke line for the torque. I have no regrets at all.

You'll love that FS-250!! I received a shiny new one for Christmas and the thing just rips!! This is my fourth Stihl trimmer and I've never heard of breaking recoils?!?!?!

That dude must of had 25 inch biceps!!:dizzy:

You'll love that FS-250!! I received a shiny new one for Christmas and the thing just rips!! This is my fourth Stihl trimmer and I've never heard of breaking recoils?!?!?!

That dude must of had 25 inch biceps!!:dizzy:

Our guys here have had stacks of FS250s me included and the only problem is breaking throttle cables.
Over the summer its 10 hour days + extra cash sales SHHH lol

Ive broken a few recoil handles but heres an easy fix
fs250.jpg

Recoil handle from a TS400 with a 3.5mm rope.

Back