New stihl ms 210...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got this saw last week,,and tryin to get it broke in,,,Seems to be a great saw,,cuts great,,but just hard as heck to start when ran for awhiles...Is that normal during a break in for this saw???? I bought this saw to do trim work with...My old Stihl 028 and my Pro Mac fires up with 1 pull after a warm up....Just kinda has me worried...Thanks,and I always read on this sight and always enjoy the imput on things.....

I have a 2 year old MS210 and it starts on the first pull when warm. 2-3 pulls til it pops when cold and then 1 pull to start with the choke off. Has been like that since new.

Possibly your L screw is slightly lean causing this. Does the saw hesitate on initial accel when you snap the throttle when warm? You can try backing the L screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turn and try starting warm again.

Is the idle too low when warm, hard to verify without a tach but it should idle smooth and not chug or really be lumpy at all.

Last edited:
My saws all start 1st pull after the warmup - provided that it is not cold out and the saw has cooled down.

If the saw is new take it back to the dealer and let them adjust it for you.

Where in KY are you located?

Oneoldbanjo is probably right about taking back to the dealer if you can. Would hate for you to take advice online and screw something up.

Thanks for the comments...I'll try 1 more time,,they say it takes about 3 tanks of gas to run tru it to break it in good,,,I ran about 7 now,,so gonna try again and if it dont get better gonna let em adjust it for me...Thats the good thing about where I bought my saw from,,they are good people and stand behind what they sell....
About where I'm at...Richmond Ky...Thank ya again for the imput...

You are about 2 hours south of me.....too far to drive for a simple carb screw twist.

I really don't think "breaking in" will change the carb setting and make it easier to start - however in the interim why don't you open the L screw up about 1/8th turn (direction of arrow) and see if it gets better. You can always put it back if it doesn't help, and it is better to be a little rich than a little lean.

As far as I know, breakin takes between 10 tanks and 10 litres, depending on who you ask - 3 tanks is nowhere close.

I agree that breakin probably will not cure your problem - if opening the L somewhat doesn't help, take it to the dealer!

Thank you all so much...

I'm sorry I didnt reply earlyer,,but it was just a simple turn of the carb screw,,and man,,I mean it fires up now on the first pull after warm up unless I limp wrist it then takes 2 pulls...LOL!!! Thanks all...I enjoy readin all the great info I get from here,,and alot of good help...Always appreciated from me.....

Back