New-Style eBay Dual Port 440/460 muffler review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So there's a newer dual port MS-440/460 muffler on the market being sold on eBay out of China. Here's my no BS review.

Price for these is around $13 each, which for the $ I obviously didn't expect much but a reasonably close facsimile of a standard 046 dual port. Upon arrival, i was pleasantly surprised to find the following.

The muffler appears to be blued, not painted with some cheap epoxy paint.

Ports are of the proper sizes (side port is the large one found on the old 044 single port mufflers, front cover port is the same as an OEM 046 dual port)

Both spark screens are in place and functional (not just a front cover screen as is often found on these)

The biggest difference though is that it uses a rounded side port deflector (ala MS-440) rather than the more squared off side deflector found on the 046. The port is also positioned further forward on the muffler than a standard 046 dual port muffler or 044 single port muffler, meaning there are no brake handle clearance issues when used on an MS-440 (another reason why the OEM dual port rear case half from an 046 can't be used on an 044/440).

Now I've only tried these mufflers on two MS-440s (i don't own any 046/460 series machines to try one on), but i'm of the opinion that they should bolt up no problem.
Ultimately, a bargain for the money spent compared to OEM, and the two I've installed on my 440s are holding up beautifully.

Link below:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322120057339

So there's a newer dual port MS-440/460 muffler on the market being sold on eBay out of China. Here's my no BS review.

Price for these is around $13 each, which for the $ I obviously didn't expect much but a reasonably close facsimile of a standard 046 dual port. Upon arrival, i was pleasantly surprised to find the following.

The muffler appears to be blued, not painted with some cheap epoxy paint.

Ports are of the proper sizes (side port is the large one found on the old 044 single port mufflers, front cover port is the same as an OEM 046 dual port)

Both spark screens are in place and functional (not just a front cover screen as is often found on these)

The biggest difference though is that it uses a rounded side port deflector (ala MS-440) rather than the more squared off side deflector found on the 046. The port is also positioned further forward on the muffler than a standard 046 dual port muffler or 044 single port muffler, meaning there are no brake handle clearance issues when used on an MS-440 (another reason why the OEM dual port rear case half from an 046 can't be used on an 044/440).

Now I've only tried these mufflers on two MS-440s (i don't own any 046/460 series machines to try one on), but i'm of the opinion that they should bolt up no problem.
Ultimately, a bargain for the money spent compared to OEM, and the two I've installed on my 440s are holding up beautifully.

Link below:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322120057339
They do appear to be a nice looking Muffler thanks for pointing it out :clap:

Nice Erik, do they have these for the ms461 or will this one fit.....

I dont believe the rear case halves are interchangable between the 460 and 461. But ill verify for sure in the morning

Its empty inside. No silly baffling like we see in the new 440/460 mufflers. Let me snap a photo.

If anyone needs any other direct comparison photos between a stock muffler and this aftermarket dual port, let me know and I'm happy to post them. This really is the nicest aftermarket dual port unit i've seen. So nice in fact that I ordered 5 of them already :) Friends don't let friends run EPA-strangled mufflers!

Lol, thanks for the heads up man..... I personally think it is always good to have another option other than OEM...sometimes (for instance clutch covers), you literally can't tell a difference between OEM and aftermarket brands!!!!!

Hey I think I know the guy that recommended that aftermarket clutch cover for you! ;)

I show that the rear halves of the mufflers from an MS-460 to MS-461 are different part numbers, but both reflect an 1128 prefix on the muffler part number, which would lead me to believe that these dual port mufflers should bolt in place. However, there isn't a whole lot of gains to be had by opening the ports on an MS-461, as it's a stratocharged design and was fairly well optimized from the factory.

Hey thanks for the info Erik, much appreciated...I wonder if these people selling these mufflers in eBay have any dual port mufflers for my ms362..... I may have to get on there and check it out!!!
Thanks Kyle!!!

Hey I think I know the guy that recommended that aftermarket clutch cover for you! ;)

• Oh and I believed ya when you said there are basically the same, but When I actually had them side by side, I could tell you was excactly right.... Only difference I know of is that it doe t say stihl, pretty remarkable!!!!:rock2:

Definitely no dual port mufflers for 362s. 1) they're stainless, and 2) it was never a factory option, so you won't see china copying it. Dual port mufflers for anything other than the 46 or 66 series are going to be custom jobs since there were never OEM offerings of dual port mufflers in anything else (although someone may jump in and correct me here if im wrong)

Got mine today all the way from China in 7 days,unlike the O Ps the one I got has a thin layer of black paint, does not have screens and no screen cover over the front opening, it does have a new gasket.
Otherwise it appears quite good, yes I got from the link that was posted.

Those SOBs! They must have changed the product, which I'd think is a fairly common practice. I'd be raising hell about it not being as pictured... Sorry to hear it wasn't as advertised. These sellers from China are usually more than willing to issue a refund for an item that wasn't as advertised, so don't hesitate to let them know if you're unhappy with the item you received. Definitely why I jumped on em while the getting was good. I ordered one, once I received it, ordered four more just to have em. And to think... I've only got two left, and soon to be only one left!

Side note... I just looked at the auction again and notice the price has been reduced on these by a couple bucks from when I originally purchased them. Probably because they've changed suppliers which is unfortunate.

For $13 I'm not going to get too tore up about it, I probably would have taken the screens out anyway.
The 440 mag I put it on is a bit quicker now and it idled way faster with the new muff., I had to turn the idle way back to stop the chain, it still 4 strokes at wot, I have no wood here so can't cut with it yet

Hey thanks for the info Erik, much appreciated...I wonder if these people selling these mufflers in eBay have any dual port mufflers for my ms362..... I may have to get on there and check it out!!!
Thanks Kyle!!!
Check out the buckshot muffler for a ms362.

...there isn't a whole lot of gains to be had by opening the ports on an MS-461, as it's a stratocharged design and was fairly well optimized from the factory.
The 461 is not a strato as we generally know them. The only difference with them are long transfer ducts. They use a standard style piston and no strato ports.

Also, they need a muffler mod just as badly as a 460.

Latest posts

Back