New to forum and wondering about updating stihl 056 super to magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomsticks

Reaction score
2E29A4DE-811E-4B84-91E3-80B621BF7EFB.png Hi all, I’m new to forum and my friend has gotten me addicted to chainsaws and I just bought 2 Stihl saws a ms 290 and a 056 super. My first job was a tree climber so I have used Stihl and Husqvarna saws back in the 90’s. Now I’m been thinking of getting some climbing gear. But the Stihl 056av super that I just bought is going to need some work but I don’t know exactly what it needs and I was wondering if I could update it to a 056av magnum. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Been a while since I worked on that family of saws but I think the cylinder bolt pattern is bigger on the Magnum. Stick with the super and you will be happy, if it is running right. Weak ignitions on all. Mike

I don’t know much about small engines but bought this older Stihl to repair and have a little fun with it every now and then. I didn’t realize before I bought this that this model was hard to find parts for. I really hope that there is not much wrong with it I know I have to get a new bar and chain thinking about a 32”-36” or even 42” bar might use for Alaska Saw Mill. I have the Stihl ms290 for cutting trees down and for fire wood and what to get a smaller saw for limbs and small stuff.

Just thought of something is it possible to bore the cylinder and put a slightly bigger piston in or is this too much trouble.

That is the first saw I bought and bought it in my late teens.I still have it as I never sell Stihl saws. Absolutely love it although it's getting way too heavy for me at my age now.I will say the thing is built like a tank it is never been torn apart and is never giving me a problem other then having to replace the ignition.Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back