New to me saw, Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After some reseaching I decided I wanted a 7900. So I found one at a shop in Salem called D & D.
After going there, I think they will get more of my business. The guy was very honest and wasn't afraid to tell me the truth about his products.
He almost had me walking out emty handed. He told me about all the short comings of the saw like the filter clogging up faster, bearings going out faster, how the piston wore out faster and the weaker handles, but after he told me all that I decided for what I was going to use it for it would last. He showed me how to clean the filter and that if I keep the chain sharp it wouldn't get dirty as fast.
He told me what Sthils and Huskies to avoid and which ones were good.
He told me about my current saws and what to expect with them and things I can do to make them last longer. He also demo'ed the saw for me and offered to let me "test drive" it.
So I got 7900 for 350 dollars and a new dealer. I will be bring my saws to him soon for some mods and he had new ported 395's with modded muffers and a few other mods for 1050 out the door. So now I have something to save for.

350???

That one must have seen some use....

...and never heard of the bearings going out faster (compared to what), or the handles not holding up.....

Is 350 a good price? Dolmars are rare around here, so I was very much in the dark on price.
Now don't hold me to this, he told me alot of informtion fast. This handle has stoppers that are not as good a some and if you get it stuck in a tree it can't handle being pulled on as hard. He showed me which springs would wear out first, but I can't remember.
The bearings he says will last for years, but compare to a 372 will not last as long. It may not have even been bearings he mention, it was something in the bottom end and it would cost more then the saw was worth to repair.

Is 350 a good price? Dolmars are rare around here, so I was very much in the dark on price.
Now don't hold me to this, he told me alot of informtion fast. This handle has stoppers that are not as good a some and if you get it stuck in a tree it can't handle being pulled on as hard. He showed me which springs would wear out first, but I can't remember.
The bearings he says will last for years, but compare to a 372 will not last as long. It may not have even been bearings he mention, it was something in the bottom end and it would cost more then the saw was worth to repair.

Would be interesting if he provided some proof, but never heard of such issues with the 7900 before - but they may well be true.

As i understand it, very few 7900s are used by pros, so it will take some time before any major weaknesses show up.
There has been a lot of upgrades on the 7900 due to other (minor) weaknesses, so I would stay away from the older ones.

The dealer sells to alot to pros and some have used the Dolmars. Like the bearings he mention that it can take to 2 years using it 8 hours a day.

Mine has the orange top. Doe anyone know when they went to the black top?
I only cut 3 to 6 ricks a week and I use a Husky 372 and 350. The Dolmar is just a back up, so I think mine will last awhile.

We have been selling the PS6400-7300 & 7900 series since 2001 and have had Zero bearing failures.

Steve

The black hood 64-7900 saws were released in August 2005 in the US & Canada. Everybody else still gets the orange hoods.

We have been selling the PS6400-7300 & 7900 series since 2001 and have had Zero bearing failures.

Steve

Never heard of it either, and I really should have, if it was an issue.......:givebeer:

You once posted a list of upgrades on the 7900 - that might fit in here.

Last edited:
The orange-top saws are much nicer looking than the black-top ones! It's a shame that they changed the tops to black; it makes no sense - Jonsered is red and black!

I only have one extra set of orange covers hanging around, so I guess I'll have to bring some back when I vacation overseas...

The orange-top saws are much nicer looking than the black-top ones! It's a shame that they changed the tops to black; it makes no sense - Jonsered is red and black!

I only have one extra set of orange covers hanging around, so I guess I'll have to bring some back when I vacation overseas...
I am the other way I like my black top Dolmar plus the red is more Jred like and less orange.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder now if I could only bend that handle strait!Now if they put a silver top on that saw that would be hot!!! lol. But very very happy with how the saw performs.:)

I am the other way I like my black top Dolmar plus the red is more Jred like and less orange.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder now if I could only bend that handle strait!Now if they put a silver top on that saw that would be hot!!! lol. But very very happy with how the saw performs.:)

+1......I much prefer the black top on the Dolmars than the orange. I also don't get the Dolmars are "red"....They're ORANGE

My Wheel Horse is RED....My Troybilt tiller is RED....My Yanmar tractor is RED....My Dolmars are ORANGE!

They just aren't sherbet orange like the Huskys...I guess that's where the confusion comes in...:dizzy:

+1......I much prefer the black top on the Dolmars than the orange. I also don't get the Dolmars are "red"....They're ORANGE

My Wheel Horse is RED....My Troybilt tiller is RED....My Yanmar tractor is RED....My Dolmars are ORANGE!

They just aren't sherbet orange like the Huskys...I guess that's where the confusion comes in...:dizzy:

I don't know, I guess it depends on the light. I'm still going to call it red, though it certainly isn't straight-up WH or MF red.

Here, it looks almost as red as my wheelhorse, in the background. Almost.

Dolmar_7900_Spruce_Log.jpg

sounds like your dolmar dealer got one original saw and has made a great career of making sure they never sold it.

what is his phone number, and i'll buy the rest of his 7900 inventory for 350 bucks.

husky has a great chip system for the air filter, no doubt. but the rest of the stuff he told you is complete garbage.

the 7900 has more power then any other 80cc saw except mebbe the solo.
it is also lighter then the competition.

and it holds up just fine.

Latest posts

Back