New to me saw, Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banshee

I use the same dealer. I drive ~55miles to get there. So do a lot of other costomers. I bought two saws from him.5100 and 7900. Good prices. I believe him to be a good mechanic. He said Stilh saws wear out the fastest and Stihl stiffed him for four thousand in warranty work. He tried to steer me away from buying a 401, but I bought one anyway. When I was in the market for a new saw I searched the web for dealers around here. I was surprised to find many Dolmar dealers but D&D is into chainsaws not lawnmoers. I was told his Dad started it. He said they tied to make suggestions to Dolmar at the Louisville show on saw improvements but Dolmar would not listen. Later Dolmar corrected the minor problems.

I use the same dealer. I drive ~55miles to get there. So do a lot of other costomers. I bought two saws from him.5100 and 7900. Good prices. I believe him to be a good mechanic. He said Stilh saws wear out the fastest and Stihl stiffed him for four thousand in warranty work. He tried to steer me away from buying a 401, but I bought one anyway. When I was in the market for a new saw I searched the web for dealers around here. I was surprised to find many Dolmar dealers but D&D is into chainsaws not lawnmoers. I was told his Dad started it. He said they tied to make suggestions to Dolmar at the Louisville show on saw improvements but Dolmar would not listen. Later Dolmar corrected the minor problems.

OK, now the looney-toon Dolmar comments make more sense.:dizzy:

Is 350 a good price? Dolmars are rare around here, so I was very much in the dark on price.
Now don't hold me to this, he told me alot of informtion fast. This handle has stoppers that are not as good a some and if you get it stuck in a tree it can't handle being pulled on as hard. He showed me which springs would wear out first, but I can't remember.
The bearings he says will last for years, but compare to a 372 will not last as long. It may not have even been bearings he mention, it was something in the bottom end and it would cost more then the saw was worth to repair.

$350 is a good price for 7900 used. I've only heard of the filter upgrade and the On/Off switch as any real problems.

I'll also tell you that 8 hrs a day for 2 years is stretching the service life of any 2 stroke saw. Ask any Faller and they'll tell you they usually have two falling saws and replace one at least every year. then the year old becomes the back-up etc... You'll like your 7900, I promise you.:cheers:

Reply to 166

Well, the best I can tell he likes many but is very opinionated. He likes Husky and Dolmar, but not the "401". In small saws he speakes highly of Shindiawa. I went ahead and bought a 401 and my first impressions are good saw. I did not buy it from D&D enterprizes however.

Well, the best I can tell he likes many but is very opinionated. He likes Husky and Dolmar, but not the "401".

My Dolmar dealer has opinions too. "I'll give you that 341 for $180, but you'd be better off waiting for the 350/420 to get here". If he'd offered me a deal like that on a 401, my wallet would have come right out of my pants, but he'd sold his last 401 already. He says the 350 is built better than the 341, more like the 510/5100, and that makes it worth an extra pound.

I want a light saw to be light, and the main reason to switch from a Husky 36 to a 341 or 401 would be the weight loss. If a 350 isn't notably lighter than the 36, I wouldn't buy a 350/420 until the 36 dies.

Back