New to me Stihl 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Picked up an 039 this weekend. The guy had a lot of calls on a pretty bad ad. You know the kind of ad that doesn't specify the model of saw, only the brand. Had one picture that wasn't clear enough to make out the model and the only useful info was that it had a 24" bar.
So anyway, after some communication glitches I showed up at his house nearly 1/2 hour before he did even though my arrival was at a predetermined time. grrrr.

Anyway, the saw idled at about 6000 rpm, was smoking like crazy and dripping nasty oil junk. He said he had filled the oil tank with 2 stroke oil but I think he meant motor oil as that is what appeared to be in the tank when I dumped the oil and sawdust out. He had put a brand new chain on it very recently which is in sorry condition and is going to need to go on a grinder to get it right. It's an Oregon semi skip chisel with some kind of bumper link in the middle. The bar is a Total Super Bar and seems in ok condition now that I have the sand out of it.

The air filter was missing much of the flocking which he claimed responsibility for as he thought the flocking was sawdust and blasted it with an air hose to clean it. (he was pretty successful at it)

When I got the saw home, I looked in the carb to see if it was full of sawdust. Looked ok, cleaned the oil tank, dumped out and examined the fuel (looked good), pulled the muffler to view the cylinder/piston with some trepidation but it looked perfect in there and the spark screen was clear. The intake side looked good from both sides.

Checked the turns on the H and it was at about 1 1/8 which is pretty typical for the 1127 series saws. I started it up and started turning back the idle. I think I probably turned the idle screw back 5 or 6 full turns, maybe more. It started coming down and I worked the L screw along with it and got the idle to settle down normal. ????? shakes head with puzzlement?????

I decided I needed to check the H as it seemed to be running really rich. Everytime I brought it up to rpm fuel started spraying around. Thought it was from the cap but determined it was from the vent nipple. The tube and grub screws were missing. Thought I had a spare but don't. Anyone know the approximate diameter of the holes in the grub screws? (thinking I can make one...)

So anyway, I went to the clutch and chain brake area and noticed the outside of the clutch drum was blued from running with the brake band engaged. The band and clutch seemed ok with some cleaning. Lubed the bearing and put it back together. Spur sprocket had some wear but ok yet.

So, with a new filter and vent line, the saw should be ready to go. I paid $200. Offered less but he wouldn't move. This saw will sell in this area for about $325.00 with a good ad. I'll use it some first. Maybe until fall. I'm having running issues with my other 039 and by having two identical saws, it will allow me to troubleshoot it better.

The pics are in the as received condition. It's in pretty good cosmetic shape. It won't go out with that bar on it but one in the 20" range which is more suited for that saw. It'll probably get a moderate muff mod too as that makes quite a difference on these saws. So that's my story. No "you suck" but I got a CAD fix.

Nice lookin saw I like the bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the saw in some wood this afternoon. Then put a 20" bar on it and cut a bit more. I finally have it tuned properly, it's oiling well and I made a vent tube for it which is working well. I still need to find the right air filter for it. I have a spare filter but it is set up with the snorkel. I suppose I could block that and use it. (or switch the carb....)
I will do a muff mod on this saw but am going to leave it stock until I straighten out the other 039 I have.

Latest posts

Back