New to me Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find good used tanks on eBay. Mine pulls a 32" bar with skip chain with authority.

Uhhh......not really. 044 and 046 tanks in good shape don't come up all that often, and when they do, there are a pile of bidders and they go for about $100 bucks. The other Stihl pro tanks are a lot easier to come up with.

Tony

Uhhh......not really. 044 and 046 tanks in good shape don't come up all that often, and when they do, there are a pile of bidders and they go for about $100 bucks. The other Stihl pro tanks are a lot easier to come up with.

Agreed. I cruised fleabay for about 6 months for one. Then just gave up and bought a new one for ~$150 from the dealer, which is what they wind up going for online when you DO find an auction.

When I get the side cover I will be able to tell how well the saw cuts. The knuckle head shipped the power head and bar separately, He forgot the side cover. He emailed me to tell me this, but, I don't know how he shipped it. So I'm waiting for it to show up. I think I will need the Chip guard near the rear, but time will tell. It has a 404 chain on the 32 in bar, what a beast of a chain.

Anybody need a tree cut down?

Wiz

Last edited:
That's alotta b/c for an 046!

I agree... That's a lot of Bar and chain (32" x .404)!! I run a 16"-20" (18" normally). On my 460, with an 8 pin.... Its Screams in the cut.

But it depends where your cutting too. West coast set up for 460 is a Large bar. East coast small bar. :haha:

Different strokes. Different folks. :)

Lots oF ponderosa pine around here. My 046 made quick work of some large stumps with full skip on a 32" bar. It's a marvelous saw.

tanks are piss easy to change on them did one at work last week
takes about half an hour to do but i would not bother if its not leaking
.404 is a bit much i would change over to 3/8 and down to a 28" es light bar
but i would put a 20" bar 3/8" chain on it for general dutys

An ES light 25, if they made it would be the hot setup. They only have 25 S or 25 ES, keeping with Stihl. Is there much difference between the S and ES in weight and stiffness. Then we have the chains 404, 3/8? .050 vs .062. If I go with a 25 ES .062 then 3/8 or 404 full skip, will there be much weight or performance difference. Smooth cutting or Grabbing? I am concerned about chain breakage.

Wiz

An ES light 25, if they made it would be the hot setup. They only have 25 S or 25 ES, keeping with Stihl. Is there much difference between the S and ES in weight and stiffness. Then we have the chains 404, 3/8? .050 vs .062. If I go with a 25 ES .062 then 3/8 or 404 full skip, will there be much weight or performance difference. Smooth cutting or Grabbing? I am concerned about chain breakage.

Wiz

Don't bring concerned with chain breakage unless you plan to really be crazy with this thing. I know it happens, but in 15 years of running saws recreationally, I've never even seen a broken chain.

Choose the chain size that is most prevalent in your area. Dealers will carry that. Most US states will have 3/8 .050 whereas Europe tends to use more .063.

In addition to suggestions from AS members, maybe describe to Randy at Koopman's how you plan to use the saw and ask his opinion as well. I'm thinking a 25" ES bar and 3/8" pitch, .050 ga. full comp semi-chisel chain; that setup w/20" bar balances and works well on my ms440 for general use. If you're cutting clean wood all the time, full-chisel is faster. I understand that full skip chains can be difficult to control, i.e., dangerous, with bore cuts and brush.

Last edited:
I'm going to be talking with Randy about this. Just want to be asking good questions so that I end up with What I want. With out having to tryout many combinations to figure out what I want. He did say that anything over 24 in. is usually Full skip. Once I get the side cover that holds on the bar i'll be able to test a 404 x .062 full skip. That should give me a good idea what they are all about.

Wiz

I ran regular RS chain (not full skip) on my 046 with a 32" bar and didn't notice the saw struggling at all. Didn't really see much difference as far as engine speed goes between that and the loop of full skip I run. Noodling was a different story. The regular chain tended to plug up the clutch cover quickly if I wasn't careful (this is the bigger OEM cover).

The guy I bought the saw from said he mailed it today"it's Sunday" The cover is most likely junk, but it should have the other spike on it. Anyway, I May have to get new large cover and the rubber chip deflector for it.
Wiz

The Bar cover arrived today! It has a little chunk missing near the rear but when the rubber chip guard gets here that will cover that. I finally mounted the 32 in bar and chain and fired it up. Holly Cow! My that's a Big One. My Nick Name for this saw is "Junkyard Dog" . I definitely need to get a shorter bar for this thing.

I also got the 026 Pro I got on eBay. The saw is like brand new with 16 in Stihl ES bar. What a nice saw.

Wiz

The Bar cover arrived today! It has a little chunk missing near the rear but when the rubber chip guard gets here that will cover that. I finally mounted the 32 in bar and chain and fired it up. Holly Cow! My that's a Big One. My Nick Name for this saw is "Junkyard Dog" . I definitely need to get a shorter bar for this thing.

I also got the 026 Pro I got on eBay. The saw is like brand new with 16 in Stihl ES bar. What a nice saw.

Wiz

We should have a central Blackstone Valley GTG soon. :smile2:
Or not.

Last edited:
Back