New to me Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 046 off ebay not to long ago. My gas tank had a hair line crack but didn't leak and the rear handle had a chunck missing. The clutch cover was all torn up inside so I sold the old tank and cover for 60 bucks and bought a new handle/tank off ebay and new clutch cover. If you don't need the throttle trigger, on/off lever etc, just the basic handle with carb studs is around 85-90 bucks. It also comes with the green fuel line. Its not hard to replace the tank.

Not sure about your dealer, but when i mentioned the 046 prices went up because it is a discontinued saw. I just order parts for a 460 and they were cheaper. For example I needed a new chain brake handle. It was almost 100 bucks for the 046 one and around 40 for a ms460.

Not sure about your dealer, but when i mentioned the 046 prices went up because it is a discontinued saw. I just order parts for a 460 and they were cheaper. For example I needed a new chain brake handle. It was almost 100 bucks for the 046 one and around 40 for a ms460.

:msp_confused:

Maybe you need a new dealer?

The dealer wasn't trying to screw me, just the that particular parts guy was not familar with the parts that interchange between Stihl models. They look at the parts diaghram and then check the price on the part number. After the parts guy told me the 046 handle was around $90, I asked him to look up the one for a 460. He warned me saying that he wasn't a mechanic and that he didn't know which parts interchange. He said I was more than welcome to ask the service area if it will work, but if they order it, I can't return it as it was special ordered part. He was honest with me, but just covering his behind. This dealer is quite large and they sell everything from hondas, timberwolf, Ariens, Exmark, Cub cadets, and Kubotas, Trex machines etc so its probably tough to stay on top of everything lol.

I guess my point was if your parts guy is like this one and just reads from the computer, check the part numbers on current production models as the prices could be better.

20" and 25" with 3/8 are the hot spot for the 046 if you ask me. I usually have a 24" on mine but i changed it to a 18" and resharpened a sharp chain extra carefully today. What a blast, it goes through wood like cuttin potatoes. :]

Haven't tried it with a bigger bar, but it would definitely have to be a light version, because the balance isn't spot on with the 24 (i do have some noname probably heavy version tho), anything longer it would be way nose heavy.

I was perusing the Sugihara light weight bars. The 20 and 24 in are high on my list. Or Stihl ES 25 ES 20. That way I could run them on my 026 PRO, 036 PRO, 046.

Does the driver width 50, 58, 63 increase the Bar thickness? Bar weight?

Wiz

ok, I'll have a bunch of new parts next week for the 046. Ordered springs for the clutch. I then discovered that the springs had worn groves into the side of the holes the springs go through. So gona have to get a new set. I could put a tiny bead of weld in the groves and tighten it up, but, I don't feel like it! It took about an hour to clean out the area were all the clutch parts reside.

I also ordered the gas tank unit it may have the flippy caps. I like the floppies even though some times I have to try a few times to get them to seat. The old tank has a repair and does not leak so I may sell it off cheap. I'm looking for a orange plastic marker insert that says Stihl made in Germany for the starter cover.

Wiz

... I'm looking for a orange plastic marker insert that says Stihl made in Germany for the starter cover.

Wiz

Just ordered one from the dealer myself on Friday.
P/N: 0000 967 2035 $2.65

The new tank did not arrive. But the clutch springs did arrive and that tightened the clutch up nicely. The new clutch drum was the wrong one. Dealer is reordering the right one. The outside dawg is correct so now I have a chain catcher.

Wiz

I have it working! Wow! I noodled a bunch of rounds. But I need to get into something Bigger. Lots of torque.
I bought a new gas tank in case the patched one leeks, so far it's fine. I also got a new Stihl 3/8 RS chain for my 036 PRO, Oh Ya! what a difference that made.

Wiz

glad you got it working. Your 046 sounds exactly like the one I bought. I bought clutch springs for mine as well as it would stall after i revved it up. My 046 had a tinging sound coming from the clutch as well. My clutch had groves worn where the springs go to so i put on a new clutch, clutch drum and bearing and rim sprocket. I also put on the new gas tank, sold the one broken one, as well and new clutch cover and chain catcher, 25 inch ES bar, new chain, and bought a new HD2 filter. Haven't run it yet. I've been so busy with other projects I can't wait to try it out.

I just ordered 24 IN 50 Gage 3/8 Sugihara light bar for it from HEV. .88 lbs lighter than an ES Bar. I went with the 24 because in a pinch I can put it on my 036 Pro. it is also .11 its lighter than the E bar.

Wiz

046 24 in Sugihara light, Stihl full skip RS chain. Man, This saw is amazing, I LIKE IT! You have to say it like the guy in Robo Cop after he shoots the 50 cal. Cuts through 24 in logs like a hot knife through butter.

It's ported!

I just changed the gas tank for a new one. So I took a look at the intake port and It's ported.

The Serial number is "+139265230" The plus mark is turned slightly .

If anyone of you Port Modding Tuners knows anything about this saw I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Explains why this thing cuts so fast and strong.

Thanks Wiz

Rebiult the Carb

When swapping out the gas tank on the 046, I thought I'd blow out the carburetor. Wrong! So, I just replaced all the torn membranes that I wrecked by blasting the carb. It started on the 1st pull.

I do want to change the pull handle either to a new elastostart or one of those large full grip handles I'v seen on some saws.

Wiz

Latest posts

Back