New to milling. Bought a Lucas mill w/ slabbing attachment. Need Help pricing jobs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy Mackerel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought a Lucas mill model 830 and plan on ordering the slabbing attachment.

My only experience milling is with an Alaskan. Which worked great but was not the most accurate.

My intent is to use the Lucas primarily slabbing, but it's nice to have the option to use the circular saw for quarter sawing and such.

The issue I have is figuring out what to charge customers. Around these parts my only competition are band saw mill's and absolutely no one else can cut real wide stuff. Luckily I have a great network of woodworkers, furniture makers, and friends in the business.

It's vital to develop a fair and accurate system for my services. Any input, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

What do you guys charge for cutting cants? Etc?

Pricing out the wide slab jobs are a little easier because there is no one else and I love to barter. Normally I price out slabbing 1/2 the log and split the 2nd half with the customer. That being said I would to know what the "going rate" is for slabbing!

A per HR price seems like it would be the easiest, at least for slabbing.

This site was a great resource when researching and problem solving my ASM needs. I appreciate your time.
Thanks, Wes

Hourly is a good way of charging. I only run aBS mill, but charging by the hour and a surcharge for hitting any metal has worked well for me. I would think that if you are the only person in your area that can provide wide slabs. You would be able to ask a premium for your time or your finished product. Good luck, that mill with the slabing atach is a sweet piece of equipment.

Photo's of the mill?

Not sure how to charge for the wide stuff? I'm limited to bandsaw width of 20"(I get $0.345bF) and chainsaw milling to 33-1/2"(I'm asking for $1.95bF) in width.

Maybe something along the lines of $X.XX per bFoot to XX inch wide then an addition $X.XX per inch width?

Scott (got see this new toy) B

Thanks for the input!

Haven't set the mill up just yet. Once I do there will be plenty of pics.

Got a few big boys all ready to go.

Latest posts

Back