New To Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all...iam a small firewood producer and have always been interested in milling my own board....iam not afraid to get a band mill and a board edger...but i know little about now to get the most out of the wood and how to work it for the most out put....also do you all think there is money to be made on the extra product that this thing can produce that i don't use...and if so what types of wood gets the money and most sales....1'' by whatever or pine or hardwoods ...or construction lumber 2'' by whatever ???any info or sites would be great...

I am by no means an expert on wood sales and pricing but hardwoods of one to two inch thicknesses around my parts typically go for about a dollar a board foot depending on the species. Now on the other hand if your lumber is dried you tend to get a lot more from your hard work. Try looking on the internet, there are several places that can give you a better idea on how to price your lumber (dried or green). One other suggestion would be to call local lumber suppliers and see what they are charging for soft and hardwoods.

One other thing,be careful though ,when you get hooked on milling you may never want to cut any of that beautiful wood into firewood. Good luck.

You will have a hard time being competitive with big producers for standard construction lumber. However, if you can find a specific need in your area for specialty products, such as timbers, unique wood species, custom sizes, etc., then you may have a profitable business opportunity. I would contact custom builders, furniture makers and such to see if there is a need that you can provide services for. Good luck!

I am more of a wood buyer than a chainsaw guy.

We do crafts called INTARSIA. We buy our lumber from my uncle (woodmizer) and on EBAY. I can tell you that Cherry, Walnut, and Eastern Red Ceder sell well. If it is dry and planed, it will fetch 2$ bf or more plus ship.

If you have curly maple, or something it is nice. Look at the prices they are getting on EBAY.

On EBAY it has to be really nice stuff, and cut small enough to mail. I typically buy 1"x6"x 4ft. Any longer, and shipping will be too high.

Latest posts

Back