New to site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmac4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My son's F-I-L has had this setting in his back yard for the last couple of years. I asked him if he was planning on getting it back in working order or just letting it ruin. His reply was one of these days, maybe. I then asked him if he would be interested in selling it. His reply was no, but if I wanted to take it and play around with it, I could have it. Needless to say, I couldn't get it loaded fast enough. It has a 9 hp Honda motor on it, which I have removed to get it in running order. I put some gas in it and pulled the rope a couple of times and it fired up but it needs tuning up and carb. rebuild kit. There are no indication as to brand on it so I have no idea who made it. A guy at work said it looks like a Norwood, but he wasn't sure. Since it needed a new blade anyway, I broke the blade and laid it out flat to measure the length of it. It is 143 1/2 in. long and 1 1/4 in wide and 1 tooth per inch. The rails appear to be in good condition and other than some minor surface rust on the saw frame everything looks OK. Not sure if all the parts are on it or not. It doesn't look like it has anything on it to hold the logs in place, which I assume it should.
I would appreciate any help and advice on getting this up and running and being a newbie i'm sure there is a lot to learn.
It may be more work than it's worth, but the price, FREE, was just too good to pass up.

I have been a long time woodworker and turner who has been interested in milling my own lumber and wood. When the chance came up to obtain a mill I just couldn't let it go by.

Bobby
Louisiana

A free mill!:jawdrop:

Welcome, you've come to the right place for advice and support. There's plenty of experience on this forum that helped get this newbie going. :chainsawguy: Now, over to the guys who know what they a talking about...

Welcome to the site! Im with Oldsaw in believing that its a Norwood. There are a few Norwood owners here that will be able to help get you up and running. Good luck.

Glad you followed the link I posted on the other board! There's a wealth of milling knowledge over here! Now get ready to let the sawdust fly!

Welcome to AS, when that nice toy is running, we'd like some pics please.

[drooling smilie]:jawdrop:

Thanks for the information and help feellows. It's greatly appreciated. I have sent picture and e-mail to Norwood to see if they confirm that it is one of theirs but have not heard from them yet. I may just give them a call.

Woodshop, i'll try just about anything. Right now I'm in the process of refacing the cabinets in the wife's kitchen. She wanted new tile counter tops but I didn't want to put new tops on old bottoms. My biggest project was our log home that I built in '85. Normally thhough, I like to make stuff for the grandkids,nieces and nephews. I'm also into turning which is my main woodworking right now. I also turn pens for the Freedom Pen group for the troops in Iraq. I've enclosed some pictures of some of my stuff.
horse--grandaughter
cradle--niece
wine stoppers--mine for now
wine goblet--daughters wedding
firetruck--son, who is a fireman
pen--charity auction for childrens hospital

Bobby
Louisiana

Last edited:
You.

Lucky.

Bastard.

Welcome..and have fun!:greenchainsaw:

It "is" an older Norwood Lumbermate, i owned and sawed on one for about 8 years...

I sawed quite a bit of lumber on mine and it was a good mill...

Rob

Lucky you! Wow, doesn't seem to be missing much except some TLC, hopefuly Norwood will be able ta find you specs and a manual etc. :jawdrop: Again, WOW!
Welcome too!

:cheers:

Serge

Nice woodworking pics... The one thing I have not done a lot of is turning, if only because most of the GOOD turners I know, do only that because it takes quite a bit of time to get good at it. Right now I don't have the time I would like to invest in that, so I turn something on my lathe only when I have to, and do a pretty clumsy job of it when I do.

I really like that wine goblet with the rings. Nifty... great conversation piece on the coffee table.

Back