New to site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Quick introduction of myself... 30 years old, wife and 4 kids. Getting ready to go into mowing grass full time next year. Been cutting firewood for the last 10 years or so. Started with a freebie 14" McCoullough, then bought a 20" Poulan from Menards (which my dad still uses occationally, now with a 16" bar), and finally upgraded to a real saw, a Stihl MS270 18", back in 2004. About that same time I got my 5hp, 25 ton MTD splittler. Very impressed with it, even with it beign an MTD. I sell about 20 face cords a season right now, but I'm hoping to grow that quite a bit over the next couple of years, since hopefully I'll have a lot more time in the winter.

Any tips or advice is welcome... This place looks like a wealth of information!! I'll try to get some pics of my stuff up in the next couple days. :cheers:

Quick introduction of myself... 30 years old, wife and 4 kids. Getting ready to go into mowing grass full time next year. Been cutting firewood for the last 10 years or so. Started with a freebie 14" McCoullough, then bought a 20" Poulan from Menards (which my dad still uses occationally, now with a 16" bar), and finally upgraded to a real saw, a Stihl MS270 18", back in 2004. About that same time I got my 5hp, 25 ton MTD splittler. Very impressed with it, even with it beign an MTD. I sell about 20 face cords a season right now, but I'm hoping to grow that quite a bit over the next couple of years, since hopefully I'll have a lot more time in the winter.

Any tips or advice is welcome... This place looks like a wealth of information!! I'll try to get some pics of my stuff up in the next couple days. :cheers:

Welcome pard good for you jump in the waters fine!:cheers:
Oh and you may find that there are other real saws and that
some are all orange:Eye:

Welcome

Lots of good info on this site. Just be ready to take a ribbing once in awhile as things can quickly spiral out of control.

Haha! It's funny, just looking through this site has made me start looking as saws again... my wife just gives me a funny look whenever I talk about getting a dupicate of a tool and gives me the line "but you can't use two at the same time". Guess that means she only needs one pair of shoes and one set of clothes?? :greenchainsaw:

Haha! It's funny, just looking through this site has made me start looking as saws again... my wife just gives me a funny look whenever I talk about getting a dupicate of a tool and gives me the line "but you can't use two at the same time". Guess that means she only needs one pair of shoes and one set of clothes?? :greenchainsaw:

Your already one step away from it now just remember
don't duplicate upgrade I see a 460 or a 372 in your
future young grasshopper:monkey:

Thall you can thank me now or later your choice bud:laugh:

Your already one step away from it now just remember
don't duplicate upgrade I see a 460 or a 372 in your
future young grasshopper:monkey:

Thall you can thank me now or later your choice bud:laugh:

Poor guy, haven't even been here for a full day yet and CAD is already setting in.
Welcome to AS.

Welcome to the gabfest!:cheers:

I wish you luck on the new Venture, not many folks these days are open to the risks and challenges and never even get the gumption to try.
Hit it hard, take the lumps, and stay at it.

As for the shoe and Dress argument with the wife....

Don't do it. It's completely logical to you, me, and the rest of us, but don't do it...don't even bring it up.

If she agrees with you, you'll get a new Saw, and her closet will explode with shoes, Dresses, and frilly stuff of every color, and for every Occasion possible including formal Visits with the Dali Lama and Martian invasions.

Don't ask how I know...

Just get a "Back up Saw" for the business, then a little later add a "Clearing Saw" for the business, which will need a back up, and will be a write off for all of the cash flow come spring time.;)

Low profile and obvious like nothing is afoot, works better than sneaking...
Even if you are...sorta.:D

Good havin' ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's actually my last name, but I see no problem using at a first name also... as long as it's not both! :dizzy:

The president of our local community college is named "Thomas K. Thomas". gotta wonder what the parents where doing when they came up with that idea.

Welcome to the site. There is a mountain of knowledge and expertise here. You talked about mowing grass for a living. I wondered about the impact of dust during mowing from the grass and chemicals people put on their lawn. I wonder if you guys are headed for black lung disease down the road. I would look into a respirator, if I mowed full time, as well as ear/eye protection.

Latest posts

Back