new to spur climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony909

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im trimming some trees with spurs because I already have the gear. Anybody have some useful tips for climbing or for rigging. I'm not sure of my spur placement in the redwood bark, because sometimes they will slip on me. Is that normal? Anything is useful to me. thanks! Oh yeah. Tips for getting past nerves. I feel like I've been going slow, which isn't a bad thing, but gets tiring quicker. Pics would be great

Im trimming some trees with spurs because I already have the gear. Anybody have some useful tips for climbing or for rigging. I'm not sure of my spur placement in the redwood bark, because sometimes they will slip on me. Is that normal? Anything is useful to me. thanks! Oh yeah. Tips for getting past nerves. I feel like I've been going slow, which isn't a bad thing, but gets tiring quicker. Pics would be great
First of all put on a raincoat, because you are about to get a mudslinging from mostly everyone on the site with the exception of the resident spiker.
My advice, put the gear in a box for a little while, pick up a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion, learn a bit by reading some threads on the site and then come back and ask any questions you have. Welcome to the site.

if your new to spur climbing try rotating around the tree at a low height(6 feet or so). arboricultural injuries are some of the worst in any industry, take it slow or you may end up gaffing out and spiking up your other leg.

In another thread a while back I said I would no longer advise people how to climb, except for removals or around powerlines. Anthony, welcome to the site.

Last edited:
I have a question. Are you new to climbing or just to spur climbing? because dependin on how big these redwoods are spurring them might be more effort then to climb them using a rope and a ascending device. I like Mars Bars for ascending. Besides i wood love to climb redwoods and i would never be sinkin spurs in the side of one unless it was a removal. Rigging should be taken in baby steps. i like to use a tear cut on removals where ever possible. Knowing the top few knots is a must and you should be able to tie them blindfolded. just remember this is the type of work where you either learn from someone else's mistakes or from your own.

I think you just opened up a can of worms here my friend. Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of information here for you to learn from. That is the first step. Be open minded and be humble enough to take some flak from the fellow site members. Your in a great invironment to learn here.

Kenn

Latest posts

Back