new to the site and need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yjcrawler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am pretty sure that this has been answerd ......i live in kansas moved here from ca ...the wood out here is made by the devil it is a neon greenish yellowie color and hard as :censored: have a sthil 066mag 36"bar pretty sure it is a oregon 72dp chain :confused: this chain and this "hedge" wood do not agree :confused: all i get is fine powder like the chain is dull but it was just sharpend what is a good chain to use on extremly hard dense wood live and dead ......also looking to buy a powerfull 20" saw

not sure of your capabilities or how much you know about saws, but a common problem is to sharpen a chain and forget about the rakers. they'll stick up too far and won't let your cutters do their job. sounds like what's happening to you.

Looks like you probably have a good match already... Semi chisel is good for dusty/dirty conditions... and hedge.

Hedge (osage orange) is great firewood (high heat value) and hard on equipment/chains.:chainsaw:

Take your time, bring your file and remember the old dead hedge dulls chains faster than green wood.

I get more fines and sawdust than chips in hedge even with a fresh chain.:mad:

Be careful, piling a bunch of hedge in the stove -- burns HOT -- can damage the firebox.

Even with Stihl RM right out of the box, hedge cuts slow.

Take your time, and don't lean on the saw.;)

Touch up the chain every half tank of fuel, and just relax.

It's gonna be a slow day cutting anyway. Enjoy it!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am far from being a pro logger but more advanced than average home owner....basicly i know enough to be dangerous:givebeer: any ways the rakers are within spec.. not to sure what angle to set my grinder ....went and cut 3 cords over the weekend mostly hedge and oak seemed to cut just fine :confused: course these trees were much smaller under 3 ft dia..the hedge that i was trying to cut was 4ft or so round...gave up on it ..got the
d6 cat and pushed it to the burn pile:popcorn: any body got marshmallows.

Welcome to KS :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like you were cutting some seasond Hedge, we try to explain this stuff to folks, but they don't get it:buttkick:

Green, it cuts about like seasond Oak, dried, well get comfortable, you'll be there a while!
Get some Stihl (yes, it matters) round filed (RM was the bomb!) I forget the name now, chain. Stihl chains seem to be the hardest, and will tolerate the abuse better. Maybe the dealer out there has a spool of RM2 left over? Don't worry about the safety straps, you aren't cutting anything fast anyways!! Grind it, then hand file it in. It makes a difference! The sharper you can make it, the longer it will stay that way! Trust me, try running full comp on a 32" bar!
It's cool to cut at night, you can see all kinds of sparks and stuff!!!
Welcome to the nehborhood! I'm Andy, I live just outside of Wichita, west of you, and cut around Fredonia, East of you!

What would you say if I told you an archer might pay you $50 and up for a 1"x2"x7' chunk of good straight grained hedge?

Taxman,

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be givin' away local secrets!!!

Next thing ya know folks will be using Sassafrass for veneer or somethin!!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

soon as i learn how to post pics i will post one of this tree bout 4'dia bout 20' tall huge old hedge tree was located on 160 1 mile east of oak valley

What would you say if I told you an archer might pay you $50 and up for a 1"x2"x7' chunk of good straight grained hedge?

I have been looking at some hand made Osage Orange bows. I'd like to buy one someday. They make some beautiful bows.

yjcrawler, looking forward to seeing those pics.

Back