new to the site and need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yjcrawler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am pretty sure that this has been answerd ......i live in kansas moved here from ca ...the wood out here is made by the devil it is a neon greenish yellowie color and hard as :censored: have a sthil 066mag 36"bar pretty sure it is a oregon 72dp chain :confused: this chain and this "hedge" wood do not agree :confused: all i get is fine powder like the chain is dull but it was just sharpend what is a good chain to use on extremly hard dense wood live and dead ......also looking to buy a powerfull 20" saw

not sure of your capabilities or how much you know about saws, but a common problem is to sharpen a chain and forget about the rakers. they'll stick up too far and won't let your cutters do their job. sounds like what's happening to you.

Looks like you probably have a good match already... Semi chisel is good for dusty/dirty conditions... and hedge.

Hedge (osage orange) is great firewood (high heat value) and hard on equipment/chains.:chainsaw:

Take your time, bring your file and remember the old dead hedge dulls chains faster than green wood.

I get more fines and sawdust than chips in hedge even with a fresh chain.:mad:

Be careful, piling a bunch of hedge in the stove -- burns HOT -- can damage the firebox.

Even with Stihl RM right out of the box, hedge cuts slow.

Take your time, and don't lean on the saw.;)

Touch up the chain every half tank of fuel, and just relax.

It's gonna be a slow day cutting anyway. Enjoy it!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am far from being a pro logger but more advanced than average home owner....basicly i know enough to be dangerous:givebeer: any ways the rakers are within spec.. not to sure what angle to set my grinder ....went and cut 3 cords over the weekend mostly hedge and oak seemed to cut just fine :confused: course these trees were much smaller under 3 ft dia..the hedge that i was trying to cut was 4ft or so round...gave up on it ..got the
d6 cat and pushed it to the burn pile:popcorn: any body got marshmallows.

Welcome to KS :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like you were cutting some seasond Hedge, we try to explain this stuff to folks, but they don't get it:buttkick:

Green, it cuts about like seasond Oak, dried, well get comfortable, you'll be there a while!
Get some Stihl (yes, it matters) round filed (RM was the bomb!) I forget the name now, chain. Stihl chains seem to be the hardest, and will tolerate the abuse better. Maybe the dealer out there has a spool of RM2 left over? Don't worry about the safety straps, you aren't cutting anything fast anyways!! Grind it, then hand file it in. It makes a difference! The sharper you can make it, the longer it will stay that way! Trust me, try running full comp on a 32" bar!
It's cool to cut at night, you can see all kinds of sparks and stuff!!!
Welcome to the nehborhood! I'm Andy, I live just outside of Wichita, west of you, and cut around Fredonia, East of you!

What would you say if I told you an archer might pay you $50 and up for a 1"x2"x7' chunk of good straight grained hedge?

Taxman,

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be givin' away local secrets!!!

Next thing ya know folks will be using Sassafrass for veneer or somethin!!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

soon as i learn how to post pics i will post one of this tree bout 4'dia bout 20' tall huge old hedge tree was located on 160 1 mile east of oak valley

What would you say if I told you an archer might pay you $50 and up for a 1"x2"x7' chunk of good straight grained hedge?

I have been looking at some hand made Osage Orange bows. I'd like to buy one someday. They make some beautiful bows.

yjcrawler, looking forward to seeing those pics.

Latest posts

Back