New To this And An Introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. Sorry if this is not the right place, but could not find an introduction spot anywhere. Anyways, hi all. I am very happy as I finally made my first good chainsaw purchase. I had wanted a nice chainsaw for a few years now and jumped ship and bought a new Stihl 171 this past week. I also have an old Masterctraft (Poulan 2300 model) that was my first and is having some problems. Anyways, I had my dealer install a larger bar and chain when purchased as per my fathers recommendations. I have a standard MS 171 with 16" bar (.050") (Part # 3005 000 4813) and a 63 PS 55 installed. It seems like a really nice little saw. Today as well, I bought the Stihl Universal File Guide in 5/32" and the Depth Gauge with File. I am not a big cutter of wood. I estimate I will cut a cord of wood every 2-3 years for bonfires, but now with a new saw, I might want to cut more.... Anyways, I had done a lot of reading on here in the past couple weeks and now decided to join as there is a lot of great information to be found here. As well I am not a big poster, but like to read. So thank you in advance for having me.

Welcome to the site! If you like to read, there are endless threads on endless topics of interest here. But beware, the more you read, the more you will want to cut wood. Then once you start to cut more wood, you will want a little bigger saw. And from that point on, it's all over - you've caught the CAD virus, to which the only known treatment is threats of divorce hahahahahaha:laughing:

Welcome. I will warn you that this is addictive. I used to own 1 saw, a Husqvarna 50 that wouldn't run any more. I joined this site to get ideas on how to fix it. I tore it down and built it back up and it runs great. Then I bought a Dolmar, then an Echo, then I built a ms660 from a parts kit, then I built a 372 from a parts kit, now I want to build another one and I don't even need the ones I have. Soon you will be an addict like the rest of us.
Hi there. Sorry if this is not the right place, but could not find an introduction spot anywhere. Anyways, hi all. I am very happy as I finally made my first good chainsaw purchase. I had wanted a nice chainsaw for a few years now and jumped ship and bought a new Stihl 171 this past week. I also have an old Masterctraft (Poulan 2300 model) that was my first and is having some problems. Anyways, I had my dealer install a larger bar and chain when purchased as per my fathers recommendations. I have a standard MS 171 with 16" bar (.050") (Part # 3005 000 4813) and a 63 PS 55 installed. It seems like a really nice little saw. Today as well, I bought the Stihl Universal File Guide in 5/32" and the Depth Gauge with File. I am not a big cutter of wood. I estimate I will cut a cord of wood every 2-3 years for bonfires, but now with a new saw, I might want to cut more.... Anyways, I had done a lot of reading on here in the past couple weeks and now decided to join as there is a lot of great information to be found here. As well I am not a big poster, but like to read. So thank you in advance for having me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thank you all. That is what I am worried about. I am weak in addictions. I jump in both feet. I am already looking for another saw to play with as I watch lumberjack games on TV.....

And also to add. I do not need any wood right now for fires, so it will remain clean, and very new till the new year, but I have already mentioned a pair of chaps for Christmas for cutting as a good friend had an accident this past July in which we rushed him to the hospital. While there, I said to my buddy if I ever buy a chainsaw *new* I will not cut wood until I have chaps. Cannot find pants in a 44 - 46.

Welcome aboard, good readings here and a lot of information and a wealth of knowledgeable people here. You will need to start watching CL and a few other places cause you will get the bug and want more that 2 saws, just wait. You will want to restore a few also, build a few, just wait.

Steve

Welcome. Upgrading to better bar and chain definitely a good move. The puny .043 gauge.
I picked up a MS 170 because was on sale. In addition to sharp chain.

I recommend that you use canned fuel. Trufuel or Stihl MotoMix. It will keep your carb from gumming up. It is more expensive but worth it if only using it occasionally. Canned fuel has long shelf life and has stabilizer included. Added benefit of avoiding any risk of straight gassing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

... those that have gone down and those that will go down. Oh wait that's motorcycles not saws. Welcome to AS everything the other posters are saying is true. I joined with one saw looking for tips on hand filing and now I have a couple echos a handful of mag case poulans and a dolmar.

Find what you wanted to know and never come back or you'll be drowning in saws in no time :yes:.

Another potentially valuable piece of safety equipment is steel toed boots. There are some made specifically for chain sawing which have kevlar protection as well as the steel toes. Mine are called "Swede-Pro" (IIRC) & are exactly the same as the ones sold by Stihl. The leather is high quality, & they are very comfortable for me which is a welcome bonus!

Another potentially valuable piece of safety equipment is steel toed boots.

I was just going to point that out. One of the guys I worked with in the Forest Service was nicknamed "nine toes" after a saw accident.

Many companies make and sell chaps. Baileys has a wide selection of chaps and you can find more at other forestry suppliers or amazon.

Latest posts

Back