New Top Handle Chainsaw - Echo CS303T info?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! New member here... Been reading site heavily lately for info on tree work and chainsaws. I am about to purchase a saw and wanted to share some info and ask a question on top handle saws.

I have been to Stihl and Echo/Husqvarna dealers this week. I tried out the Still MS 201T (new) and MS192T (old model, very used). Very impressed with MS201 - great power, quick response, nice ergonomics and handling. Dealer told me that the new ones have addressed the power and response issues, since serial number 1773xxxx or something like that. And that if an owner is unhappy with their older MS201t's output, they should discuss with their Stihl dealer - might be rectified for free! I was not impressed with MS192 - the one I used had very little power compared to the MS201T - night and day. BTW - I was very impressed with Mayer Power Products in Essex, MA - seemed like a great shop for tree climbing supplies and chainsaws.

I was very interested in the Echo's, so headed to Echo dealer - who also carried Husqvarnas. Was surprised, after visiting Echo-USA site that ECHO currently only carries the MS 271T , 303t, and 355T - they have discontinued all other top handles (330T, 360T). I liked both the 303T and 355T. Will likely come down to cost on that score. $330 for 303T, $460 for 355T, and $610 for Still MS 201T. The Husqvarna T435 and T540XP seemed plastic-y and complex. The T435 to me is not as attractive as the 303T, and the T540XP at $640 seemed outdone by Stihl MS201T.

Sooooo, to my question.... I cannot find much info on the Echo CS303T. It appeals to me as it is a simple design, clean, and awell thought out saw, and is supposed to be easy and inexpensive to work on (tune, repair). I would expect it be reliable and tough, and probably down in power relative to MS 201 and CS355. But how much down!? Any real world experience out there with the 303T? I did not run the CS355, but that looks to be a great saw - if I decided to spend that much, I will ask to run one. If power is the same as the MS201, I would probably go for the Echo and save $150. But for me the CS303T seems like a great saw for the dough. Any input on the 303 would be appreciated.

Hello! New member here... Been reading site heavily lately for info on tree work and chainsaws. I am about to purchase a saw and wanted to share some info and ask a question on top handle saws.

I have been to Stihl and Echo/Husqvarna dealers this week. I tried out the Still MS 201T (new) and MS192T (old model, very used). Very impressed with MS201 - great power, quick response, nice ergonomics and handling. Dealer told me that the new ones have addressed the power and response issues, since serial number 1773xxxx or something like that. And that if an owner is unhappy with their older MS201t's output, they should discuss with their Stihl dealer - might be rectified for free! I was not impressed with MS192 - the one I used had very little power compared to the MS201T - night and day. BTW - I was very impressed with Mayer Power Products in Essex, MA - seemed like a great shop for tree climbing supplies and chainsaws.

I was very interested in the Echo's, so headed to Echo dealer - who also carried Husqvarnas. Was surprised, after visiting Echo-USA site that ECHO currently only carries the MS 271T , 303t, and 355T - they have discontinued all other top handles (330T, 360T). I liked both the 303T and 355T. Will likely come down to cost on that score. $330 for 303T, $460 for 355T, and $610 for Still MS 201T. The Husqvarna T435 and T540XP seemed plastic-y and complex. The T435 to me is not as attractive as the 303T, and the T540XP at $640 seemed outdone by Stihl MS201T.

Sooooo, to my question.... I cannot find much info on the Echo CS303T. It appeals to me as it is a simple design, clean, and awell thought out saw, and is supposed to be easy and inexpensive to work on (tune, repair). I would expect it be reliable and tough, and probably down in power relative to MS 201 and CS355. But how much down!? Any real world experience out there with the 303T? I did not run the CS355, but that looks to be a great saw - if I decided to spend that much, I will ask to run one. If power is the same as the MS201, I would probably go for the Echo and save $150. But for me the CS303T seems like a great saw for the dough. Any input on the 303 would be appreciated.

Well, I wound up buying a slightly used CS355T off EBay for $300 shipped. Hopefully it will be a beauty!

l think you have done well. l have a 201 and they are great but so are the echo's. The 330 and 360 are older discontinued models. The 355 is the best echo TH saw in the current lineup but l also really like the 271t. Like the ms150t, the 25cc saws are really light making 35cc top handles feel like bricks but l am sure you will be very happy with your purchase. The Japs know a thing or two about 2strokes and make good stuff.

Can't wait to try it out! I am not about to take my Husky 55 Rancher up a tree, and have trimmed my first oak to the limits with my hand saw. Got a few more big branches to get down in this tree and am quite eager to get my hands on it!

I bought a 355T new as a first climbing saw and when it's out of the shop its a runner. All of the issues I've had with it I think can be attributed to the people doing the warranty work on it and not doing it correctly. Just a word of advice don't treat the 355 like it's as tough as your rancher. That's where all of my problems started I pinched the bar and started to pull it out like I would a bigger saw and the handle broke off and the warranty work that ensued caused nothing but problems. It is a running machine though you'll enjoy it.

The 303T looks exactly like the 3000 series that became the CS301/340/341 on the exterior. The specs indicate it's probably a CS301 with updated emissions compliance.

Well, the saw came in today, and it's a beauty! So small and light! Just put the bar on and will check it out tomorrow. Already muffler modded. Can't wait to hear it run. Starter pull seems very tough!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Go to your stihl dealer and get some 63PS3 chain there chain seems to last the longest
looks like you got a 14'' 52 DL 3/8 LP 0.50 gauge on yours.

Yes, it is a CS355T! Read up a few posts, that is where I wound up. Used off EBay. It's what I wanted, but didn't want to buy new. Got it for $300. Very pleased, but of course i haven't tried to run it yet!

the 303t is a good saw with a muffler mod a little slow but the reed valve design makes up for that with torque.
and the air filter likes to plug up faster on the 303t with the filter in the front.

Yes, it is a CS355T! Read up a few posts, that is where I wound up. Used off EBay. It's what I wanted, but didn't want to buy new. Got it for $300. Very pleased, but of course i haven't tried to run it yet!
Lol ok i see that now...i didn't read the whole thread.....with a muffler mod mine is right on the heels of my 200T's

Lol ok i see that now...i didn't read the whole thread.....with a muffler mod mine is right on the heels of my 200T's
Thanks, Chris. Does that look like a fairly typical muffler mod for a 355T? I'm about to do one to my Rancher 55 as well. Here's what it looks like stock (the Rancher). I will probably drill a few more holes in the top of that baffle. Need to calculate some areas first - guideline is to equal exhaust port area from what I understand?image.jpg

pull the limiters on the carb and readjust the carb tune it so it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the cut.

Back