New truck question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I currently have a f-350, diesel, 1-ton dump that I haul wood and chips in. I have been interested in getting a 2nd truck probably to haul wood most of the time. My area has many steep driveways that I either have to go up to, or back my equipment down into. I've looked at something a little larger, like an International or Chevy 4500. My question is how do you guys like the cab-over trucks? I'm thinking that I would need 4x4 no matter what. Thanks guys

I need some opinions. I currently have a f-350, diesel, 1-ton dump that I haul wood and chips in. I have been interested in getting a 2nd truck probably to haul wood most of the time. My area has many steep driveways that I either have to go up to, or back my equipment down into. I've looked at something a little larger, like an International or Chevy 4500. My question is how do you guys like the cab-over trucks? I'm thinking that I would need 4x4 no matter what. Thanks guys

I used to have a 2000 Mitsubishi Fuso. 6 Speed manual, 175 hp. Steel chip body 11 foot long 6 foot high.

I loved the truck, it turned on a dime, pulled my BC1000 Chipper reasonably well, had a good amount of space for chips. Also it was short and fit into small spaces. It had an I box which had a lot of room for gear. The current Fuso's I have heard don't have the torque to pull a chipper. Also it had a super exaust brake which slowed the truck very well.

In the end it rusted, had front end issues and was damaged in a minor front end accident.

I deceided to replace it with a 2007 Freightliner with a 14' chip box which I built, underbody boxes, 210 hp Cat C7 and automatic trans. I deceided to get away from the cab over because the minor front end collision (2 mph) caused signifigant damage and pushed into the drivers area. A more serious front end accident would be fatal for the driver/ passenger in one of these trucks in my opinion. I also switched to automatic because the pool of good manual drivers is very small and I need a truck everyone can drive.

Hope this helps,

Mike

once you go cab over you will never go back. dif in manueverability (sp?) is vast. i have a long dual axle chipper and 16' chip box. all the driveways around here are pita. cabover Mack makes it happen.

We don't get the kinds of 'trucks' you guys get in the states - fords and dodges etc... it's all cab over here. The points about safety in an accident are very valid, but for me all my work is city work so that fear is relatively minor. I rarely get about 30mph. Ive got an Isuzu NPR400 with a 12 cube bin and good toolboxes. It drives nice and is small for what it carries but the engine only has 110hp which is nowhere near enough to haul 12cubes of chips and a 250xp. Couple times I've been unable to get up driveways so I had to leave the chipper behind and go dump then come back for it. Whatever you get, make sure it has enough engine!

I love my cab over Fuso. The turning radius for its length is unbelievable. I have a landscape body on it but if I had a chip box and towed a chipper I'd need more power.

My 350 is 4x4 and is a must around here. I appreciate all the replies. Getting it into tight spaces and enough power are what I'm looking for. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the 4 wheel drive even ya don't lock the hubs and just knock the trans down into low and back stuff in your doing no damage to the trans ! I won't buy any other truck without all wheel drive

I like the 4 wheel drive even ya don't lock the hubs and just knock the trans down into low and back stuff in your doing no damage to the trans ! I won't buy any other truck without all wheel drive
I only have a small bucket on an F350 4x4 7.3 P S . Anytime it leaves the hard surface,transfer case gets put into lo range. So much easier to maneuver at the slower speed and no need to slip the clutch in and out. Just ease her out ,and let her idle . Love it.

I love my cab over Fuso. The turning radius for its length is unbelievable. I have a landscape body on it but if I had a chip box and towed a chipper I'd need more power.

Took us all day to clean the ivy off this house and daycare. Fingers were bleeding. It was inside the top of the chimneys. I have never got this truck stuck. To me it is the perfect chip truck. I designed the box with removable supported 4x8x3/4 plywood panels so top is easily removable. It stands nearly straight up to dump so the pintel hitch has to be removed as it drags. Huge piston.

16 ft. long, truck is not real heavy, and couldn't go without the cabover anymore. 8.8 L, 538 cid L6 Renault diesel. There's a reason every garbage truck runs Macks. One tons are to small for my biz for either wood or chips and when you get a big chipper you have to have a big box. When you have a crane a one ton will eventually get the springs squashed with honker logs. I know, I had one and did it.
DSCF0355.JPG

I have a UD cabover with an Allison tranny. Love it, tons of power and it can take off like a whip. I can put 12K in the back and not be overweight. Not bad for a under cdl.

It's was pricey but worth it. If I had another 12 grand to spend I would have gone roll off. The great thing about cab overs no one mentioned are the repairs are very easily done. Raise the cab, raise the dump bed and you have everything right there. Not that I've had to

16 ft. long, truck is not real heavy, and couldn't go without the cabover anymore. 8.8 L, 538 cid L6 Renault diesel. There's a reason every garbage truck runs Macks. One tons are to small for my biz for either wood or chips and when you get a big chipper you have to have a big box. When you have a crane a one ton will eventually get the springs squashed with honker logs. I know, I had one and did it.
View attachment 341001
That sounds like a very functional truck. You have me thinking a mid liner is what I'll be looking for when I'm ready to step up into the Cdl class trucks.

Latest posts

Back