New truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well after many years of service my old green chevy is gonna go. Trans went bad and I was going to get it rebuilt but ended up running into a different truck that I liked.
A 96 Ford 1 ton single axle 4X4. It was an old railroad truck that used to have the wheel kit that ran the rails.
I yanked the rusty bed off and am getting different rims and tires for it right now.
I am up in the air as far as what bed to put on it. I would love a flatbed dump system but I also love a utility bed. I think fabbing my own will be the way to go so I can have both but I really want to get this truck running pretty fast so I may just buy a bed and slap it on.
I will say that this truck has some pretty damn heavy duty components under it. Should be one tough truck other than the 5.8 engine which in my opinion is kind of a pooch.
View attachment 307310
Truck is ugly as hell in this pic.

Nice truck. They do look funny with those weird inset rims. Im sure the truck is heavy duty though. Keep us posted! :msp_thumbup:

Yeah, probably not gonna impress too many people with that 5.8, but it'll git-er-done and they are generally pretty reliable...cheap boneyard motors if ya ever pop one.

I always wondered on those RR wheels, if you could take the front ones, turn 'em around inside out and mount them on top of the rear ones for duals? just thinkin out loud...well, ah, typing, err,...jus sayin...:D

Last edited:
It looks to me like a dually axle without the outer rim and tire. If that is the case just find another set of rims and tires and you got yourself a dually.

Last edited:
Off topic, really, but I have a Green Chevy (87) and my wife and I once spent a night in your town when we were driving West. Seems like there are good folks in Montpelier. Over & out.

Very nice! IMO, keep/repair that nice utility bed, then get a dump trailer.

I am a big fan of tools on the truck and secured, "stuff" whatever in the trailer.

It looks to me like a dually axle without the outer rim and tire. If that is the case just find another set of rims and tires and you got yourself a dually.

Yes it does look like it was setup as a dually. Great axle back there is it is.

that would make a great 12v cummins conversion truck thats the type of truck I will be building when I decide to work for my self cummins vplow and utility bed

near all, of those ford rr trucks down this way, had powersmokes..matter of fact,,i never seen one with a 5.8!!! :hmm3grin2orange: and tho they had high miles,,they were well maintaniced,,seems funny,,they bought a few bowties,,and the next number of years..all ford dsls!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it does look like it was setup as a dually. Great axle back there is it is.

Nah, that's just a standard single rear wheel axle (Dana 60 if I remember right) The RR buys those trucks as a cab-n-chassis and has them fitted with their gear.

Well I got me some pretty nice alum rims that I'm having fitted with the nearly new tires I had put on my old truck. Ran into a rather silly snag. NOBODY local has 9/16 chrome lug nuts. 1/2" nuts are available by the bucket. Had to special order the 9/16.

Still up in the air about what bed to put on. Part of me wants a flatbed dump with a couple of side boxes mounted to frame. Other part of me wants to put a utility bed back on it. I found a REALLY clean utility box for $700. Dump idea that I have is gonna go north of $2000.

Latest posts

Back