New (used) stove - what do you think about this? (Fed. airtight)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need a new stove. Can't stand my Lopi Leyden. Been looking for a used Blaze King, but those guys are as rare as hen's teeth.

Anyway, I'm branching out and came across a Federal Airtight for $375. What are your opinions? I live in a drafty barn, so I need some serious BTU's, but also want to close it down well at night and have coals left for morning.

Thanks!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/5023470097.html

30nch englander... it's really a great stove, I'm blown away at the heat and value. Puts out more than the comparable 3k dollar stoves... I highly recommend

The Leyden is a top loader, no? Lopi has a great reputation but I have heard the Leyden can be finicky about draft.
I think the Federal is/was a OK stove, nothing special. Dunno personally, just going off what I have read.
30nch englander... it's really a great stove
This stove has an almost cult following, most people that have them LOVE them. Big ole firebox perfect for big drafty houses, they are built like a brick stink house too. Made in the US of A, one of the Englander big shots hangs out over on that "other" wood burner site quite a bit, good CS. Best part is Home despot (and others) sells an ton of these things so it usually is no too hard to find 'em used. If ya don't wanna wait, they are only $899 brand new. Or if you can wait, HD clearances them out every spring for $699 or so. Sometimes good deals on "seconds" on fleabay.

Here's one for ya, package deal...http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/grd/4980333757.html

The Leyden is a top loader, no? Lopi has a great reputation but I have heard the Leyden can be finicky about draft.
I think the Federal is/was a OK stove, nothing special. Dunno personally, just going off what I have read.

This stove has an almost cult following, most people that have them LOVE them. Big ole firebox perfect for big drafty houses, they are built like a brick stink house too. Made in the US of A, one of the Englander big shots hangs out over on that "other" wood burner site quite a bit, good CS. Best part is Home despot (and others) sells an ton of these things so it usually is no too hard to find 'em used. If ya don't wanna wait, they are only $899 brand new. Or if you can wait, HD clearances them out every spring for $699 or so. Sometimes good deals on "seconds" on fleabay.

Here's one for ya, package deal...http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/grd/4980333757.html
I have a Lopi, so far it has been working really well. Mine is the model that preceded the endeavor.

Hey uncle, what don't you like about the Leyden? I have one and I'm just curious.

Leyden - does not have the burn time anywhere near what they claim. The insides have completely fallen apart in a few short years. Draft is terrible on this stove. Damper hardly does any good - I use the ash pan for controlling draft. The bypass mechanism worked all right the first year or two, but now it's completely warped beyond all possible use or repair. The only things I like about it are its looks and the top-loading. Other than that it's a piece of junk which I hated from day one.

Englander 30NC here. Bought new at Home Depot on clearance for under $700 out the door. Heating a big, 180 year old barn of a house for going on 5 years with zero problems. I have been considering buying new secondary air tubes and refractory plates just in case. No signs of needing them yet.

I went through two used stoves. A warped unsealed VC defiant and soapstone with a burned out cat before I got smart and bought a new 30NC. Best decision I ever made. I wish I would've done it in the first place.

Back