What do you think about this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is .6 bhp worth $170.00 That's the difference between a MS290 and a MS 391. I don't need a new saw but I want a bigger one than what I have. Won't pay the price for a pro series as I only cut firewood for my own use and that's about 3 cords a year. Want to keep a 20" bar on it and these saws are available with one. What's a better indicator of the power,cc or bhp?

Thanks for your opinions,
Rob

I've had a 290 & 390 and I can assure you there is no comparison. IMO a 390 gives pro performance so the new version 391 should do the same. I used a 390 as a backup to my 440 and I just really liked the performance even in large yellow birch. I've always said that I think they are one of the best saws when you consider performance vs. price.

I have used a MS290 for many years with a 20 inch bar. I went through the same decision making process then and settled on the 290. Why light weight and the difference in price, bought a second small saw. I think it boils down how big of wood and type of wood. good luck ,and let us know which way you go?

If chain selection enters in here, I would not run 3/8 on a stock 290 with a 20" bar. It will do it, but probably not terribly quickly. If you are all set up for .325" chain, 20" .325 is a very common and viable combination on a 290. 391 obviously has more nads, and being a strato engine will probably use the same fuel as the 290. I have not had the chance to run a 391 just yet.

Saw help

Well I would say go for more CC's if you are cutting hard woods. The extra CC's really help make the job go smoother. Now soft woods you could get by with less CC's. The other thing to think about is the big motor means that if you got in to situation were you needed a longer bar the extra CC's would be a bonus. If I was going to buy a strictly firewood saw I would have a saw of at least 60 CC's with a 20" bar and 28" bar. The 28" bar would be in case of a tree that was to wide to double cut with a 20" bar. A28" bar would probably hardly see use but in case of a tree to big the longer bar would be nice. You never no when you may get a free tree that no one else can cut because of size but having a saw with a longer bar is like having a bigger hammer:rock::rock:

If chain selection enters in here, I would not run 3/8 on a stock 290 with a 20" bar. It will do it, but probably not terribly quickly. If you are all set up for .325" chain, 20" .325 is a very common and viable combination on a 290. 391 obviously has more nads, and being a strato engine will probably use the same fuel as the 290. I have not had the chance to run a 391 just yet.

I have a 20" bar with .325" chain and it works quite well on my 290.

Back