New wod burners...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a growing firewood business, and have noticed a good bit of people starting to burn wood to suppliment or replace other means of heat this year. I saw it a bit last year, but more so now. As a seller, I think it is great. As a wood burner I think it is even better. More people are coming around to the idea of heating with an inexpensive, renewable, resource. While it is not as easy as flipping the heat switch to "on", it can reduce your monthly expenses, and it just makes sense to do if you have the means.

What seems to be the most popular with your new clients as far as to what they burn in? Fireplace, freestanding stove, wood furnace or OWB?

Nothing new when the economy tanks and heating fuel prices increase.

It happened in the mid-70’s during the Carter oil shortage, the sales of wood stoves, inserts, chain saws and log splitters increased. Architects and contractors even started designing and building homes with some sort of wood burning appliance included, or at least an area designated for one. The number of firewood sellers increased also, including many shysters. Eventually the “craze” burns itself out… the price of fuel drops and the economy recovers, dad spills ashes all over moms floor, the price of fuel drops more, bad experiences buying wood from the shysters, the price of fuel drops even more, house and chimney fires increase and people get scared, the price of fuel drops to a 10-year low, etc., etc. Did I also mention that people quit messin’ with burning wood when the price of heating fuel drops?

To a greater or lesser degree it happens every decade, or thereabouts. The cycle follows just a couple years behind the fuel price cycle. If I were a firewood seller I’d certainly “make the hay while the sun was shining”, but expect many of your new customers to cycle-out with the fuel prices. Still, keep your business fair and honest and you should pick-up a few long-term customers… not everybody quits, some will stick with it just because they discover they enjoy it.

Hey White,

Good historical perspective, but do you really see any relief regarding fuel prices? I sure don't. The trend for fossil is on the upswing (and has been for quite some time) - and I don't see it coming down any time soon.

I agree, I don't see a gallon of gas ever dropping below $3 again. Green energy is definatley not just a trend, it is the future. Coal is still relatively cheap, but people are looking at any way to reduce costs accross the board.

It's a matter of survival. I have had the same job for the past 5 years and no pay raise, but the cost of everything else keeps rising. According to calculations from a inflation website I was looking at it would take $116 now, to buy the same thing for $100 in 2005 that is a 16% loss. Anything that can save you money is now a good option.
After some more figuring I realize that not only have I not gotten a raise in 5 years, it is like I have had a $3.00 cut in pay per hour.

Last edited:
Looks like things must be on the upswing a little... I had a guy stop by this morning and said he'd take everything I got... He's re-selling in an urban market. I'm thinking truly dry wood has become a rare commodity. I better get back to work...

The price of fuel doesn’t have to actually drop, but the relative price does. If the economy gets better people are making more money, or have more disposable cash, that causes the relative cost of everything to drop, even if the actual price does not.

Here’s an example… right now the price of a gallon of gasoline is less than a pack of smokes or a six-pack of beer… well, smokes and beer are luxuries and (at least now-a-days) gasoline is considered a necessity. Until a few years ago that was never true, a gallon of gas always cost more than beer and smokes, so the relative price of beer and smokes has risen when compared to fuel (or the relative price of fuel has dropped when compared to beer and smokes). BUT people don’t look at it that way; on an overall basis, or the way people see it, the relative cost of necessities has risen because they can’t buy the same amount of luxuries. When people can no longer afford to buy what they want to buy (.i.e. that Friday night box of beer, or go out to eat on Saturday night, etc.) they look to save where they can on the stuff they have to buy (i.e. gas, heating fuel, food, electricity, etc.), because they sure as heck don’t want to cut back on the beer and smokes… just human nature. When the economy tanks, it’s the relative cost of necessities that people see… that is, relative to the amount of money they have, not to the cost other stuff.

When the economy improves, and there’s more disposable cash in the family budget, the relative cost of necessities (such as heating fuel) drops… at least in their view. And when that happens, the wood burner is forgotten about… you’ll see. This ain’t the first time the economy fell in the crapper.

I'm considering adding Central Boiler Elcassic to my home. I locked in oil for the upcoming heating season at $3.99. I bought 800 gallons. Since we built our house in 2005, the price of heating oil has doubled. Every year it goes 20-30 cents higher. Add the fact that I now have 2 little ones, well my oil use will go up within the next couple years. If my usage goes up to say 900 gallons and the price of oil hits 5 bucks which it probably will in about 3 years, well its going to cost me 4500 to heat my home. Seems everything doubles in price except our salaries. Its getting harder to make ends meet. I got a couple saws and don't mind bucking up some logs if I have too. If I have to spend a couple weeks a year cutting, splitting and stacking wood to save 3-4g, well thats a no brainer for me. I really don't see the price of oil coming down much ever again. I just need my wife to get on board as she just sees it as adding more work to an already busy schedule. I see that as money that we could use for college or to pay off the mortgage a little sooner.

The price of fuel doesn’t have to actually drop, but the relative price does. If the economy gets better people are making more money, or have more disposable cash, that causes the relative cost of everything to drop, even if the actual price does not.

Here’s an example… right now the price of a gallon of gasoline is less than a pack of smokes or a six-pack of beer… well, smokes and beer are luxuries and (at least now-a-days) gasoline is considered a necessity. Until a few years ago that was never true, a gallon of gas always cost more than beer and smokes, so the relative price of beer and smokes has risen when compared to fuel (or the relative price of fuel has dropped when compared to beer and smokes). BUT people don’t look at it that way; on an overall basis, or the way people see it, the relative cost of necessities has risen because they can’t buy the same amount of luxuries. When people can no longer afford to buy what they want to buy (.i.e. that Friday night box of beer, or go out to eat on Saturday night, etc.) they look to save where they can on the stuff they have to buy (i.e. gas, heating fuel, food, electricity, etc.), because they sure as heck don’t want to cut back on the beer and smokes… just human nature. When the economy tanks, it’s the relative cost of necessities that people see… that is, relative to the amount of money they have, not to the cost other stuff.

When the economy improves, and there’s more disposable cash in the family budget, the relative cost of necessities (such as heating fuel) drops… at least in their view. And when that happens, the wood burner is forgotten about… you’ll see. This ain’t the first time the economy fell in the crapper.

I guess most everything depends on perspective... Oil WILL come down though... The only question is how much?

There's those that like that occasional fire and full time burners. Those that buy their wood and those that cut. Wood gives a constast warmth that fuel cant. Its hard cutting, splitting, hauling etc. and that isn't for everyone. No matter what there will be procrastinators and other things that come up which require buying wood. I'm glad if I need to purchase wood there are those that can supply for you never know what could happen.

Looks like things must be on the upswing a little... I had a guy stop by this morning and said he'd take everything I got... He's re-selling in an urban market. I'm thinking truly dry wood has become a rare commodity. I better get back to work...

Truly dry wood is definetly a rare commodity. This season I have had three customers so far call for wood and have found that they had also purchased wood from the man I consider to be my biggest competitor. The wood he delivers does not burn and is full of wilt. I can only imagine his repeat business is a little slim. Getting a customer is hard, keeping them is easy...:msp_thumbup:

Five years ago we had a baby and a toddler running around the house. Being built in 1900 and having 2 stories, it was hard to heat with an old heat pump. The air coming out of the vents was around 80 and that isn't going to warm a drafty house very well. I asked my wife if we should spend around $2000 to buy a wood furnace and put in a chimney. Not really knowing how it would work out, we went for it. After finding we could save $2-300 a month while keeping the house 80 degrees if we wanted to, we are glad we made the leap. Even though I have retired the wild thing and bought a hydraulic splitter, we are still way ahead moneywise. Cutting wood also helps me from getting too fat over the winter. I'd probably be 40 pounds heavier without the gathering workouts.

This summer, we fired the gas company and went all electric. We hated paying the minimum 10 months a year and a little more when it was really cold so the wife could run the upstairs gas furnace so she could get out of the shower without shivering. Yesterday the meter reader was trying to get in the backyard. I asked "What are you doing? We aren't even customers anymore!" He said he had to check it anyway so I told him to knock himself out, lol!

Think about it this way

I'm considering adding Central Boiler Elcassic to my home. I locked in oil for the upcoming heating season at $3.99. I bought 800 gallons. Since we built our house in 2005, the price of heating oil has doubled. Every year it goes 20-30 cents higher. Add the fact that I now have 2 little ones, well my oil use will go up within the next couple years. If my usage goes up to say 900 gallons and the price of oil hits 5 bucks which it probably will in about 3 years, well its going to cost me 4500 to heat my home. Seems everything doubles in price except our salaries. Its getting harder to make ends meet. I got a couple saws and don't mind bucking up some logs if I have too. If I have to spend a couple weeks a year cutting, splitting and stacking wood to save 3-4g, well thats a no brainer for me. I really don't see the price of oil coming down much ever again. I just need my wife to get on board as she just sees it as adding more work to an already busy schedule. I see that as money that we could use for college or to pay off the mortgage a little sooner.

You can always scrounge wood for free if you hustle, and you get used to doing it, your mind takes over and you start seeing free or real dang cheap wood everywhere, and different ways to get it.

Now go try to scrounge a tanker truck of oil coming by for free...good luck with that///

Ya, you can stick a used waste oil heater in, but you know what I am saying..and it is getting harder to scrounge that waste oil. Heck, even the veggie oil diesel burners are having a hard time scrounging fryer grease from restaurants..

But wood? You can scrounge, and if you have a yard, you can stack years in advance of needing it.

I make bupkis, like around double your heating bill. For real, I am working semi retired, this is around the best I can do now. Forced early semi retirement, so..that's what I got, lucky to be able to work at all really..

No wood, I'd be beyond broke. Of course it is easy to scrounge right on the farm here, but I have scrounged out and about before, it's doable, and I bet at least half the guys here have to or prefer to scrounge.

One of the slicker ways to get the wood is try to get some for free from tree services, sometimes they just run out of room, someplace to put what they cut, or they get charged to dump it, etc. Take it off their hands, you'll get good wood, bad, ugly wood, just take it, you can deal with it one way or the other. It'll all burn.

If you ain't a wood snob, scrounging gets loads easier. Pallet wood is good to scrounge, anything but pressure treated.

Local governments have road crews that cut wood, sometimes you can get it right where they cut it.

Tons of threads here on how guys scrounge wood. Good luck! And wood heat is the best heat, it has "cozy" all over it.

And it is also our cheapest, most practical and safest nuclear power..nuclear FUSION power. Hardly anyone stops to think about it like that, but it is true. Wood is stored solar power, nuclear fusion power, the cleanest safest most environmentally sound energy we can use.

Cheap, effective, safest, greenest..what's not to like? Added bonus, cutting and splitting is big fun!

Fuel

Gas hit a price of 3.33 in the Milwaukee area yesterday. We are usually 10 to 15 cents around here because we have to pay for and
burn that crappy corn gas. Bob

The Zog nailed it....again. Read what this Reb has to say....again.

So look, even if you moan about those cheating firewood sellers giving you unseasoned wood, BTU to BTU you could pay ~ $400+/cord C/S/D in front of your garage compared to oil, gas (LP), or electricity. Natural gas is slightly less.

For the few here cutting or scrounging their own firewood AND using it for most of their heating (forget "up from" 65 F ), think of the benefits besides the $$$$$............
Self-sufficiency, exercise, romance, independence from suppliers, a warmth that is incomparable in winter, and CAD and the Woodpiles' OCD :hmm3grin2orange:.

There's a class attitude also. Some look at wood piles as only for those working stiffs who can't afford a central furnace. Some with this attitude are strangely enough also those with the AlGore crisis mentality, or that you're "destroying the forest", or "wood smoke is carcinogenic", or "I don't have the time to stack and burn", or "it's dirty".. There's usually a Tahoe AND a Prius in the garage.:msp_scared:

For most of N. America there's plenty of wood for firewood; more actually than since a couple of centuries past. Use it.

JMNSHO

Back