New Wood Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Reaction score
On Friday I missed out on a used trailer for $2500 (a pretty good price around here) that had 7,000# axles with brakes. It was posted in an online buy and sell on Wednesday, so when I called I was pretty sure that it would be gone already - I was right.

On Saturday morning (yesterday) I checked out the site again and another trailer had been listed at a dealership. It was used, but I figured that being at a dealership, it would still be fairly high-priced. I called anyway and was surprised to hear that they were only asking $1,300 for this trailer. :D

I asked a few questions and learned that it had 6,000# axles (both with brakes) and the bed measured 16' x 6' 4". It is a mid-duty car hauler with a 2 5/16" coupler and a 7-pin connector.

Here are two of the pics that the guy sent me (the trailer was 6 hours away).

Picture%20007.jpg

Picture%20008.jpg

My dog Bones and I jumped in my F250 PSD and, after a quick stop to buy a 2 5/16" ball with a 1" shank, we were on the road to Winnipeg. Once I decided to buy the trailer I made a few calls and found out that one of my buddies was in Winnipeg preparing to head back north. He lives in Dauphin which is about half way to Winnipeg, albeit on a slightly longer route.

He agreed to pick up the trailer and bring it to Dauphin so I called the dealership, paid over the phone with my Visa, and also bought a 7 day moving permit (from the dealership).

On the way to Dauphin I stopped at the Peavey Mart in Swan River (about 1/2 way to Dauphin) and had a look around. My buddy is a great guy, but he dawdles sometimes so I knew I had the extra time. Turns out that the Peavey Mart sells Class V hitches for $129.00! I bought one since my current one came with an oval hitch pin hole (I think the previous owner used a 1/2" pin in the 5/8" hole). I also picked up a 2 5/16" ball with a 1 1/4" shank and a Class V drawbar.

I left The Pas at 11:20 yesterday and was back home with my new (to me) trailer by 22:30. Not bad timing considering that I stopped frequently to let Bones run and do his thing.

The trailer is solid and all it really needs (for now) is a new deck. The ramps that currently sit on the front of the trailer (first pic) will be replaced by some longer ones that I have, so I will have to fabricate something so that they slide underneath the rear of the trailer when not in use. It already has stake pockets so all I have to do is modify the sides that I already have from another trailer that I was going to fix up.

After taxes and the 7 day moving permit ($37), the price on the trailer came out to $1,497. Kind of makes me glad that the $2,500 one was sold already.

.... now to find some wood to haul!

Thanks! I used to haul wood with my 5' x 10' quad trailer and considering that I have an F250 PSD it looked like I was pulling a matchbox behind me. If I get into the good dry stuff I can haul a cord on the truck and about 3 cords on the trailer.

Right now the loggers are pretty much done for the winter (some winter cuts had to be done by March 15th), but once they start on their summer cutting areas I will be operating for one of the local loggers (but only on weekends and some evenings). That will put me in a perfect position to access the dry stuff so the trailer will come in handy. I should be able to haul enough this summer to easily pay for the trailer.

It was -24C (-11F) here yesterday morning, but warmed up nicely later on in the day. Right now it is only -9C (16F) so it's considered a relatively nice day. Those pics were taken 6 hours south of where I am and we have a bit more snow on the ground here, but it has really dropped with some of the above freezing temps that he have experienced already this spring.

cjcocn - That was a heck of a buy, not sure you could build that thing for any less, minus the labor !!!! Your new trailer will be a better match for your truck's pullin power, Good Find !!!

I am always roaming through the classified ads, and Craigslist, grabbed a 60 gallon 7 HP compressor the other day for $200 off CL, only 30 minutes away... Like new condition.

Thanks iCreek!

I have a 14' x 6.5', but it has house trailer axles on it and they cannot be used on the road here. I was going to buy some metal, cut off the back of the trailer, bevel everything, and then weld on an additional 4'. The cutting and grinding I would do and my bud would weld it up for free. I'd still have to buy the axles and tires tho and the cost for those alone was right around $2,000.

$1,500 after taxes and a permit is a much better deal and after a few planks get put on the new trailer will be ready to roll.

I am going to see if I can find a bit of work for it as well. I can sell enough firewood to pay it off, but it would be nice to have it earn some extra $$ on top of that.

Great find on the compressor! My 30 gal w/ 5HP compressor was $250 and that was a good deal for me, but getting yours for $200 was even sweeter!

I passed on a trailer the other day at an auction. I should have bought it but already having 7 trailers I don;t really need another one. I can;t remember the make. It was an 05 model. 14x7 with 2 6k axles brakes,slide in ramps. This thing was like new needed nothing. But only being 14ft long it would just be a really good skid steer trailer for me. I thought about buying it and selling the Cronkite trailer I use for the skid steer now. But only being 14ft long I can't haul three round bales on it like I can my trailer. Here is the kicker it sold for $800. I know it was a great buy. But I passed.

Scott

Those floor boards are held in with just the ends. To get em out, put a hydraulic jack in the middle lengthwise and jack it up. The board comes up in the middle, bowing, and pulls the ends in. You can pry or hammer on one end to force it towards the other, and one end will pop loose. To put a new one in, have the jack in the up position, poke one end under the steel at the end and stand on the board. You need help cause someone has to pry or pound on the other end. Once you get it tucked under, lower the jack and she fits like a glove. Not OJ's either. No fasteners to worry about poking holes in your tires later on.

I have an 18 footer for sale in W MI if anyone is interested. 8000lbs capacity, dual axle, pockets, fenders. $1800 takes it away.

Not in this case. These planks are held down by countersink (machine?) screws with phillips heads on them. Hopefully they haven't rusted in too badly!

I will have to use a similar method of attaching the new planks as this trailer was not built with that lip which would allow me to snap them into place.

A read of the Thompson's Water Seal container is in order as it may be too cold for it to cure. I want to have the new deck on asap so that I can take advantage of any opportunities to use the trailer (small hauling jobs). If temperature is key to the curing process I will check into using my bud's shop (a PW garage) to treat the planks before I install them so that I can more easily protect the sides, ends, and bottom of the planks before they are installed.

I have a trailer like that but mine has the beaver tail with tip ramps on it which makes it 18 foot. It is the best pulling trailer I have ever had. You might want to double check the screw heads hold the deck down because mine a the torque head ones.

I have a trailer like that but mine has the beaver tail with tip ramps on it which makes it 18 foot. It is the best pulling trailer I have ever had. You might want to double check the screw heads hold the deck down because mine a the torque head ones.

Thanks for the heads-up! :cheers:

I'm no fan of thinking that I am going to start a job only to find out that I did not do enough homework and need an extra tool (although having a reason to buy more tools is not a bad thing! :D).

I will double-check the configuration of the screw heads and possibly save myself some aggravation.

Thanks again

Nice trailer ! I've got a 7000lb 20 footer thats great, but with the beaver tail ........it a real tail dragger ! Can't even pull into most gas stations without it dragging on the ground. Its a great towing trailer, but for my application, i wish it were a flat deck like yours. Congrats !! :clap:

Latest posts

Back