new wood stove which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new wood stove for my house. My house is a well insulated 2 story with a finished basement. There is around 2900sqft above grade and 1200sqft in the basement. The stove will be in the basement. My basement stays kind of chilly now. There aren't many air vents. I have a high efficiency gas furnace. Last month my gas bill for furnace hot water and dryer
was 155 and we keep the house at
70. My main focus is to keep the
basment warmer and hope some
heat will find it's way upstairs
and cut the bill some. I'm happy
with my gas bill for the amount of
sqft I'm heating but cheaper is
always better. This bill is coming
off the coldest month we've had
in a long time. I'm looking at
wood stoves from northern
hydraulic. Which one would be the best for what I'm wanting? If not one of those then what stove would be good for me.

Thanks Scott

Have you considered an add-on wood furnace instead of a stove? I think the comfort factor would be much better with a house that size - and after all is said & done that's what will count. That and the reduced fuel bills, that is...

I
Have you considered an add-on wood furnace instead of a stove? I think the comfort factor would be much better with a house that size - and after all is said & done that's what will count. That and the reduced fuel bills, that is...
Would love that but there is no way to get a flue to an add on. I already have a flue on the outside wall in the finished part of the basement.

Thanks Scott

No way to tie the ductwork in if you put the add-on where the stove would go? I don't think the add-on would need to go right next to the oil unit.

ote="NSMaple1, post: 4660341, member: 113429"]No way to tie the ductwork in if you put the add-on where the stove would go? I don't think the add-on would need to go right next to the oil unit.[/quote]

I don't think I could and make it pass the wife's pretty test. It would be right in the middle of the finished basement.

Bigger's always better. NT sells the Drolet HT2000 like I have, but their price is a bit high compared to what you might find shopping elsewhere. Northern- $1229, local Mills Fleet Farm has em for $999.

They also sell the Timber Ridge stoves, which are rebadged Englanders. Their 50-TNC30 is an Englander NC30 in all but name. Again, shopping will likely find you a better price.

I agree with Steve on the go BIG or go home. You are talking a bunch of sqft. Seek 3+ cuft of firebox. In the "utility" camp it is pretty hard to go wrong with the proven performance of the big Englander. The Drolet also comes out swinging. SBI also makes a couple of big stoves with their offerings, but the price is a bit higher than the first two mentioned.

What is the flue on the outside wall? Masonry with tile flue? A chase? 6", 8" etc.

I don't think I could and make it pass the wife's pretty test. It would be right in the middle of the finished basement.

Ah, I see - yes, that can be a big factor indeed.

Sounds like you have the same size house as I do - I don't think you'll get much heat upstairs from a stove (especially all the way up), but it should make a dent in the gas bill. Stoves in basements have their challenges for getting heat to the rest of the house. Pretty sure the basement won't be the coldest place in the house anymore.

Good luck, and ya, sounds like you need to go big.

$155 a month for all that, you lucky sob. I do not agree on go big for your finished basement. If you try and make a dent in that teeny tiny gas bill, you will probably heat yourself out of the basement. Are you just looking for a little supplemental heat down there and hope to reap a little recoup of the heat up stairs? The wife wants it pretty? I would say a medium soapstone stove is the ticket. They are the most expensive tho. The nice long, soft, easy heat is perfect for that.

I really don't think you will have much success with heating that much sq ft from the basement. That being said I would put biggest baddest stove you can find down there to maximize your potential of heating the upstairs. Look at the Blaze King King, as I believe it is the biggest free standing stove you can get. It does require an 8" chimney though

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-king.html

Just remember, if you buy from northern, they charge a premium for freight and I'm not so sure you would get it delivered to your house. It may have to be unloaded somewhere with a forklift. I don't believe they offer lift gate service. I believe you can find something to heat the basement nicely. You may need to overheat the area slightly to supplement the upstairs. Hard to say. It all depends on how well you can move the air around.

Just the ticket! A custom zogger smogger with the optional old lady knick knack shelf. Stores various and sundry like ceramic ducks, pitcher and bowl sets, etc, normal old lady "pretty" knick knacks, where they absorb ambient heat and act as functional thermal mass.

See? elegant, yet practical.....

Well, you asked.... ;)

I would think most any stove or furnace with a glass door for fire TV would pass the pretty test.

In this case I'd buy a 2$ 10% off coupon on eBay then go to lowes and get yourself a Englander / timber ridge NC30. Good quality good customer service
Big American made EPA stove that has a viewing window and easy to operate it can be had for 900$. It'll heat 2200 sq ft and looks are decent for the wife long clean burns and get a tax credit to boot

Lots of really good stove options out there but in the "bang for your buck" big stove world it is really, really tough to beat the Englander NC30 mentioned above. I bought mine through HD for 699.00 delivered to my door - an extra $50.00 got the two big dudes in the delivery truck to lug it into the house and set it 6' from its final resting place on my hearth(old stove was still in place or they would have put it in place) Very well built, exceptional customer service, MASSIVE fire box and throws ridiculous amounts of heat for a very reasonable price even at full retail of 11-1200 clams.

Attachments

• finished stove 012.JPG
    finished stove 012.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Wood stove has to meet wifies pretty test LOL!!! Some one will thank you in the short future for the nice price they got on the stove you bought so buy a good one. Once the stove is in the house even basement you get dust and dirt making extra cleaning. Pretty conscience wifie isn't going to stand for that long.

:D Al

Lots of really good stove options out there but in the "bang for your buck" big stove world it is really, really tough to beat the Englander NC30 mentioned above. I bought mine through HD for 699.00 delivered to my door - an extra $50.00 got the two big dudes in the delivery truck to lug it into the house and set it 6' from its final resting place on my hearth(old stove was still in place or they would have put it in place) Very well built, exceptional customer service, MASSIVE fire box and throws ridiculous amounts of heat for a very reasonable price even at full retail of 11-1200 clams.

The Englander NC 30 is a heck of a stove and I would agree it's probably the best bang for your buck and looks nice to boot!

$155 a month for all that, you lucky sob. I do not agree on go big for your finished basement If you try and make a dent in that teeny tiny gas bill, you will probably heat yourself out of the basement. Are you just looking for a little supplemental heat down there and hope to reap a little recoup of the heat up stairs? The wife wants it pretty? I would say a medium soapstone stove is the ticket. They are the most expensive tho. The nice long, soft, easy heat is perfect for that.

I'm happy with the bill for sure. My old
house was 1ksqft and my bill was a lot higher. What you said is what I'm looking
for. Keep the basement warm and whatever makes it up top to help is just icing on the cake. I know it will help some but I'm not expecting a world of difference.

Scott

Just remember, if you buy from northern, they charge a premium for freight and I'm not so sure you would get it delivered to your house. It may have to be unloaded somewhere with a forklift. I don't believe they offer lift gate service. I believe you can find something to heat the basement nicely. You may need to overheat the area slightly to supplement the upstairs. Hard to say. It all depends on how well you can move the air around.
There is a Northern close to me. They ship to there stores for free. Thanks for the heads up.

Scott

Latest posts

Back