new woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked their website. Looks neat except for this:

"Stoves are EPA exempt and do not have a UL rating. Check with your home insurance co. about restrictions."

Door hinges are chincy. Why encase a stove in easily damaged aluminum and then put what appears aluminum heat sinks on the sides and flue, the later being typically a bad idea!
Lousy engineering and lack of thermodynamics.

Think SVK was just saying it wasn't elitist stove, even though the flathead valley has become very leftist.
;)

Door hinges are chincy. Why encase a stove in easily damaged aluminum and then put what appears aluminum heat sinks on the sides and flue, the later being typically a bad idea!
Lousy engineering and lack of thermodynamics.

Think SVK was just saying it wasn't elitist stove, even though the flathead valley has become very leftist.
;)
I'm not sure if those panels are SS, or just aluminum sheet. Generally a free standing stove heats through radiative transfer, and unless you are going to move a lot of air over it none of that crap is going to help at all. And even if you were going to move a lot of air over it, the air is just in the same room rather than ducted so it still won't do anything much different to warm the room. The whole design seems to be a muddle of confusion.

I'm not sure if those panels are SS, or just aluminum sheet. Generally a free standing stove heats through radiative transfer, and unless you are going to move a lot of air over it none of that crap is going to help at all. And even if you were going to move a lot of air over it, the air is just in the same room rather than ducted so it still won't do anything much different to warm the room. The whole design seems to be a muddle of confusion.
I originally thought SS. After thinking about SVK post about their website I went looking and found it. It is indeed aluminum. While better heat transfer than SS it still can't do any better than the first layer of steel underneath and that is if there is a good contact which would be nearly impossible in this case. Plus aluminum is lousy is damage reguards as it's soft and more malleable. It's hard to beat cast iron as a stove material although depending on goals certainly materials such as soapstone and ceramics can accomplish the job well. Steel is an adequate material but trying to go from steel to aluminum to air is a joke. They would have been better off welding steel fins to the side instead of aluminum.

I originally thought SS. After thinking about SVK post about their website I went looking and found it. It is indeed aluminum. While better heat transfer than SS it still can't do any better than the first layer of steel underneath and that is if there is a good contact which would be nearly impossible in this case. Plus aluminum is lousy is damage reguards as it's soft and more malleable. It's hard to beat cast iron as a stove material although depending on goals certainly materials such as soapstone and ceramics can accomplish the job well. Steel is an adequate material but trying to go from steel to aluminum to air is a joke. They would have been better off welding steel fins to the side instead of aluminum.
The rate of radiative heat transfer goes up as the 4th power of the temperature difference, so anything you do to cool the surface just kills it. So by removing the fins and letting the iron or steel get hotter then the radiative transfer into the room will take over. In the end you are not going to get any more energy into the room by messing with those fins and junk, you will only change the transfer mechanism of the initial heat transfer between radiative and convective.

The rate of radiative heat transfer goes up as the 4th power of the temperature difference, so anything you do to cool the surface just kills it. So by removing the fins and letting the iron or steel get hotter then the radiative transfer into the room will take over. In the end you are not going to get any more energy into the room by messing with those fins and junk, you will only change the transfer mechanism of the initial heat transfer between radiative and convective.

:bowdown:

My education in thermodynamics is more hands on instead of formal. If I am designing things I am doing a lot of reading of the machinery handbook. I knew that temp differential was important but didn't realize that it was exponential.

Acting as the whitespider; I mean devils advocate, wouldn't the radiative heat transfer only be effective if the materials in the room were of ideally absorptive of radiative heat such as dark masonary? Were a room of relatively reflective or insulation values would be better served by convection heat transfer?

:bowdown:

My education in thermodynamics is more hands on instead of formal. If I am designing things I am doing a lot of reading of the machinery handbook. I knew that temp differential was important but didn't realize that it was exponential.

Acting as the whitespider; I mean devils advocate, wouldn't the radiative heat transfer only be effective if the materials in the room were of ideally absorptive of radiative heat such as dark masonary? Were a room of relatively reflective or insulation values would be better served by convection heat transfer?
The energy is going to be transferred with a mixture of radiation and convection. The radiative energy will be absorbed by objects in the room and in turn be re-transferred by radiative and convective means until everything gets to the equilibrium temperature of the room. And from there it will transfer to the outside where it will dissipate at the outside air temp. The lower the temp difference as you go down the chain the more it will be convective I guess, thanks to that T to the 4th power term.

So my point was really that if you assume that the temperature of the fire, the amount of energy lost up the flue and the rate of energy release in there is constant, playing with the initial mechanism isn't going to do much of anything. Standing in front of it might "feel" different if the surface is colder and it's heating the air instead, but eventually the room will get to the same temperature.

Latest posts

Back