NewBee with CSM question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotwood?

Reaction score
I'm interested in making furniture using slabs. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks in order to gain info to purchase a CSM. I'm confused as to which CSM bolts to the powerhead and which one clamps to the bar only? I'm wanting to mill some big slabs so I'm planning on buying a 395xp and based on the opinions here, I would like to get the CSM that bolts to the powerhead, but not sure where I can get one?

Thanks

The Logosol and (I think) the BG bolt to the powerhead. The Granberg Alaskan and Small Log mills bolt to the bar, as does the Beam Machine.

In the sponsor forum, contact Dean(Klickitatstat) , at Washington HotSaws, he distributes the GB CSM, it bolts to the power head of the saw, nice unit, I have the 44" rails.

I'm interested in making furniture using slabs. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks in order to gain info to purchase a CSM. I'm confused as to which CSM bolts to the powerhead and which one clamps to the bar only? I'm wanting to mill some big slabs so I'm planning on buying a 395xp and based on the opinions here, I would like to get the CSM that bolts to the powerhead, but not sure where I can get one?

Thanks

Hi Gotwood. I use a 395 with my Granberg (clamps to the bar) and am very satisfied with my set-up. Im sure you will get some more feedback on your questions soon. Im in Carlisle, Ky. and am working in Louisville right now. If interested maybe we could do some milling together sometime and you could see the Granberg first-hand. Baileys carries the Granberg if you wanna look at them. Have a good one and good luck.

Thanks for the responses - Question for DustyTools

DustyTools, what bar and chain are you using and are you going to be in Louisville over the weekend?

Im using the bar and chain, the chain being the Granberg type and the bar is a double ender which also came from Granberg. Im back home all weekend long but will be back up on Monday morning. IM me if you wanna call me and maybe we can meet up sometime through the week if you like.

milling info for CSM and others

Gotwood

If you are thinking of using a double ended bar with 2 saw heads, have a read of this link, it also has a mine of other information on chainsaw milling.
http://www.procutportablesawmills.com/doublesawbars.htm

The information on this page reference bandsaw mills is a little out of date because there are some superb bandmills available today for less than 5000 dollars, but I will say what his guy doesn't know about chainsaw mills, isn't worth knowing, a top site worth the reading anytime.

Last edited:
I use my double ended bar with one powerhead and a helper handle on the opposite end. This makes for quick and easy chain adjustments.

You can get a GB mill that bolts to the powerhead from NWCS ( a member here )
I bought one from GB direct but he is cheaper if I recall correctly.
It is not the same as the Granberg mill that only fixes to the bar.

Back