Newbi Stihl 041AV Bar & Chain Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks to you guys I have a mini chainsaw addiction going on right now. I picked up a 041AV from a buddy of mine for 20 dollars. The saw is less bar & chain but has a rebuilt carb and new piston & ring, but i guess has a ignition problem after it gets warm. It starts easy and runs great on the bench.

Now I've done a search for the questions below as they relate to the 041 but didn't come up with much. Anyways. I want to pick up a big bar & chain for it. I have a 18" ryobi/redmax, but I have a couple big trees in my yard i need to drop (40+" in diameter). I was thinking about running a 28" bar. I know it's not the optimal length for the saw but I just need it for the really big stuff and am not really worried about the speed since it's only a couple trees. I know nothing about bars & chains but was looking at a bar that takes 91 drive links of .375 x .050 chain. How do i know if that will work with my saw? I see Baily's has a bar that takes 92 drive links of .375 x .063 chain. Would that work as well?

How do I tell what sprocket my saw has? What's the proper way to check if it has too much wear? In my searches I saw somebody used a sprocket with an extra tooth to increase chain speed. Is that something I should look into?

Thanks,

TF

28" bar on an 041AV is gonna be some real slow going.

Your saw should have a 7T rim, or sprocket on it.

With an 8T rim/sprocket, you gain chain speed, at the cost of torque.

18-20" bar the saaw will show what she is made of!
The saw was made on the torque side, not the speed end.
7t pin is standard with them according to the IPL.
And the ignition problem SOUNDS like it could be a coil going bad or just clean the points?????????????

Back