newbie big tree questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon tower

Tree FNG
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been lurking for a while now, thanks to all the posters I've learned alot, but have a long way to go. I live on the Oregon coast, and have around a hundred large firs that I would like to prune and desail. I will be busy for a while. I have a 150ft. Hank of hivee, which reaches about halfway up in the tree I am starting with, which is about 4 ft. In diameter. I have an 18 ft flipline which only has a few feet of tail left after going around the tree, and a 20 foot lanyard of Samson line. My thought was too climb up one side, limbing as I go, then get the back side on the descent. My problem is getting past the limbs, I cant for the life of me get my lanyard above the next limb. Is there a trick to this? Am I going about this all wrong? There trees are "hairy", lots of limbs, and its tough to get to the backside when my line is running through so many limbs above me, no swinging easy around the tree.
I am really enjoying this so far, fun work, although I'm 6'4, 210 pounds and turn 39 tomorrow so I need to get in shape for it, what a workout! Thanks for any responses, advice is much appreciated .IMG_20140105_133015.jpg

You might want to ensure the premiums on your life insurance policy are paid up and you have a Last Will / Power of Attorney done up. That is the only advice I will give you.

I have worked as an Oregon department of forestry fire crew faller . I have volunteered on fire dept. And participated in rope rescue. I have whitewater kayaked some of the biggest rivers in the west. I have rock climbed and am proficient with ropes. I am no fool, only new to climbing in trees. Thanks for the advice, I will figure it out.

Last edited:
Get a through line to set your climbing line as high as you can. Dismantle from the ground up. Use spikes only on removals. Do you understand str?

I have my line set about 75 feet up, all i could get with the big shot and the length of rope i have. My problem is the limbs are no more than four feet apart, so i am pulling a hard angle on my line under limbs above me, and my lanyard will be up against a limb on the back side, with no way to get to that limb without gaffing around. Dont,want to hurt my trees, or me. I am climbing with a hitch climber and prussik, with a petzl hand ascender, and a infinite loop system. I understand single rope technique, or do you mean somethinG else by str? Thank you very much for the response, it is appreciated.

I have worked as an Oregon department of forestry fire crew faller . I have volunteered on fire dept. And participated in rope rescue. I have whitewater kayaked some of the biggest rivers in the west. I have rock climbed and am proficient with ropes. I am no fool, only new to climbing in trees. Thanks for the advice, I will figure it out.

How many of those things did you do alone?

You sound like you on the right track for pruning work one side then the other. Sort of like doing young pin oaks in my area. Have someone there to keep your line free of fallen limbs, its also safe to have a ground guy incase something happens to ya. Before you cut have two tie in points. Dont cut above your head.

I volunteered on a FD for a couple of years too.....not an experience that added one solitary iota of useful knowledge or experience to tree climbing whatsoever. Your proficiency in other fields bears only minor relevance to what you are attempting. You may very well succeed and excel at this, but please be aware of the possible consequences of a fall from height. All of my 3 falls have been from less than 25', and they all resulted in pelvic and/or spinal fractures.
Get a copy of Jepson's " Tree Climber's Companion" from one of the site sponsors here, such as TreeStuff or WesSpur.

I volunteered on a FD for a couple of years too.....not an experience that added one solitary iota of useful knowledge or experience to tree climbing whatsoever. Your proficiency in other fields bears only minor relevance to what you are attempting. You may very well succeed and excel at this, but please be aware of the possible consequences of a fall from height. All of my 3 falls have been from less than 25', and they all resulted in pelvic and/or spinal fractures.
Get a copy of Jepson's " Tree Climber's Companion" from one of the site sponsors here, such as TreeStuff or WesSpur.
The last thing i want to experience is a fall. That is why im here, asking people who know, and hopefully avoid a painful or life ending mistake.

Im sorry if some people give ya a hardtime on here. I believe or think they just want you to be safe.

Also, there are some.great books out the for tree care. Check out tree stuff. Com or in your case. Maby wessper. I think there a bit closer to ya.

Be safe all the time.

Thanks for your time kyle. I had planned on buying the tree climbers companion, but my total everytime i order from wesspur is shocking, so have put it off so far, may be time to bite the bullet. I do love wesspur, and fast shipping for me.

If you hurt yourself in the upper half of the 150' fir and are unable to get to the ground with your 150' climbing line, what will you do? Just something to think about and the value of having someone on the ground watching you.

If you hurt yourself in the upper half of the 150' fir and are unable to get to the ground with your 150' climbing line, what will you do? Just something to think about and the value of having someone on the ground watching you.

Choke the climbing line around the tree where ever you are and ride a figure eight down. You can sort of make an 8 out of some beiners

Latest posts

Back