Newbie chainsaw milling advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
towtow

towtow

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi, new to the site and had a question about a chainsaw for an Alaskan Mill. My father does A LOT of woodworking and it occurred to me that I could get involved by harvesting some lumber for him essentially for free locally. This experience would facilitate my longer-term goals to build a timber frame shed for my yard and possibly a timber frame home someday.

From what I've read so far I know I need a BIG chainsaw to effectively mill large trees (mostly Oak and Pine). I'm figuring a Stihl 066 to 090. The wife has me on something of a tight budget right now, so I'd like to get into this for as small an investment that is reasonably possible. I don't want to go pay retail cost for a new saw. Should I spend a moderate amount of money ($400-600) for a decent condition used saw or would it be smart to pick up a saw that's not running for cheap and put some money into a rebuild. I am mechanically inclined and would enjoy tearing apart a chainsaw and bringing it back to life.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
Welcome to AS towtow. You ask a good question. I'll just say that just about every saw I've rebuilt and brought back to life has turned out to be more of a chore, both in time and money than I expected. You could likely buy a saw that needs this and that, only to find out that it's got leaking seals, a bad cylinder and a cracked case. My recommendation would be to buy a quality used saw and go with that. You can get an 056 Mag or an 066 for the price range you mentioned. Give it a few months, and you'll likely see alot of fairly new saws showing up on ebay that were bought for the hurricane effort, and are now not needed. There'll be a 660 Mag or two in there. There's always deals to be had. Keep your eyes open. Post a WTB thread in the Used Equipment forum here, and see what turns up.

Jeff

effdee

effdee

ArboristSite Lurker
Earlier this year I started milling my own boards with
a chainsaw mill that I got from Logosol. I picked
up a used Husky 394XP from ebay that worked ok the first
few times I used it but then it started giving me minor
problems. I seemed to be spending more time working
on it than milling which was not what I had in mind.
So I plunked down the money for a new Stihl 460 Magnum
from my local dealer and haven't had a hiccup yet.
Not to say you have to work on all ebay saws. I bought
an 028WB from ebay that hasn't given me any problems.
It's just a matter of personal priorities whether you want
to roll the dice on a used saw or buy new and have a
warranty with dealer support.
I ended up choosing the latter.
Either way I hope you enjoy milling as much as I have.

effdee

oldsaw

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
I bought on ebay, from a guy with a track record

My 066 was well used, but the guy was completely honest about it. It wasn't pretty, but ran well, a bit hard to start. I rebuilt the carbs ($10), replaced the pull rope with one of the shock absorbing ones ($20), replaced the .404 rim sprocket with a 3/8 (2-$8), new air filter ($25), and now it starts and runs like new, and runs 3/8" chain. $400. I caught the Alaskan on sale at Harbor Freight for $130, the guy sent me two 36" bars for the saw, the .404 Stihl (which I converted to 3/8 for $30) and a 3/8 Oregon which became my milling bar. Got a couple of loops of rip chain from Bailey's ($60 something shipped), and an auxiliary oiler direct from Granberg for $40 or whatever they want for it.

It's been two years, and my only regret is that I don't get to use it enough. But again, I bought from a chainsaw guy who knew what he was talking about and had given the saw a once over. In BC, they know about big saws. Here in MO, the local dealer still looks at me funny when I order parts. They don't sell a lot of 066s here.

Latest posts