Newbie: emissions concern has friend encouraging me to buy Stihl before it's too late?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The local Stihl dealer has 4 pre-emissions saws, 362's if I remember correctly for $749 plus tax. These have the gold mufflers which I guess are pro-grade and pre-emissions.

Do I really need to be concerned with the chainsaw emissions garbage? Will it really bog my chainsaw down like it did my dirt bike (250cc 4 stroke, runs good now without the emissions crap, before you basically needed to push it up hill :mad:).

I'm not overly fond of the local Stihl sales guy so, I have been considering a Woods Ported Jonsered (Wicked Saws) chainsaw. I have some big wood to cut (some of it over 30" but, most in the 18~24" range) so I want a saw with guts and durability. The local big box store mass market crap built to a low price point won't work for me.

I'm a "Buy once, Cry once" kind of guy. Also, FWIW I have a small Husky saw for light limbing and my friend has a couple of mid-size Stihl's but no big saw. I'm looking for a ~65-90cc saw and leaning towards a ported lighter weight saw. Future plans are for a good ~50cc saw.

TIA,
Sid

A 362 would not be my choice for tackling 30" trees (nor would a 461).

What he said.

I'm not aware of any differences in the mufflers. The 362 is a strato saw which a nod to the EPA. But stratos aren't necessarily a problem. What you want to stay away from are mufflers with a catalytic converter built in. They produce high temps which makes tuning more critical and makes it more likely to toast a top end.

Worried about emissions friend? Go with something oldschool! Probably a nice 056 somewhere near you on craigslist.

Not really sure what your friend means by emissions.. The only thing that is really detrimental to chain saws are catalytic converters like someone already mentioned, but they aren't very common even in brand new saws. Limiter caps suck but usually won't affect the saws lifespan if maintained.

If he's referring to the M-tronic/Autotune, I consider that an innovation in technology, not an emissions restriction. It's a pretty good system that works really well.

You could get a good running used 066/044 for the cost of a new 362. If you're cutting a lot of big wood there's no replacement for displacement, and 90cc will do the job and put a smile on your face at the same time.

Yep, I think he may be referring to the electronics but he also referenced the mufflers. Sounds like the Catalytic mufflers aren't an issue to be concerned with at this time.

For the huge trees, I'm probably in "over my head" with a 90cc+ chainsaw. I'm not sure what it would cost me to have someone else come in and cut them down but, I'm sure that it would cost less than a trip to the Emergency Room for this novice. A 461 is as big as I would want to step up to at this time. With some experience a bigger saw may be in my future. The 362 seems to be a good "entry point" for me upgrading from small displacement big box store chainsaws.

I should note that I have good chainsaw safety pants and a helmet system. A shirt and gloves are going to be added at the same time I step up to this new bigger saw purchase.

Sid

If future plans are for a good 50cc saw I would buy a saw in the 70cc range with a 24" bar. Plenty big for your 30" trees. A good 044/440,460 stihl or a 372xp would do you great. If you want new a 441/461 or a 576xp are all great options. A ported on wld make you smile or even a stock one with a simple MM.

I should make a side note on that too. My choice of saw is a 60cc. With a 20" bar however I would get a husky 562xp over a 362. If you want stihl I wld recommend finding a nice ms361.

The Husky 555 is a slightly less powerful 562xp. Identical construction, just different tuning, for 100 bucks cheaper. So that is another option as well, if you don't mind the all-orange saws. I have the 545 (detuned 550xp) and it's a heck of a saw.

The Echo CS590 is another good 60cc saw at an even better price... It's not as refined as the professional models but still a good one to consider, being half the cost of the Stihl.

Somebody needs to have a meeting with their sales staff. We are already well into emissions crap and that started years ago. He was probably talking about M-tronic electronic carb vs. the standard carb. IMHO the M-tronic is a better saw, but that's just me.

I would also do your research, as the price he is offering is inconsistent with the pricing on a non-M-tronic MS362

As has been said, fear of any emissions stuff other than catalytic converters is ridiculous. Stratified scavenging designs are now making MORE power than traditional designs, and electronic engine controls increase that even further. I would not even consider buying a non-mtronic 362 unless HUGELY discounted. You want the one with "emissions" stuff on it, called m-tronic (it'll say 362c on the side. ) The m-tronic is more user friendly, and makes more power at every rpm range. Plus, it is nearly impossible to flood the engine. Sounds to me like that dealer has a handful of un-sold older 362s, and has come up with a line of BS to try and move them.

Not sure where all the replies are coming from or who they are for but, an MS362CM is $700 where I am at.

Latest posts

Back