Newbie: emissions concern has friend encouraging me to buy Stihl before it's too late?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the ms461, I think you will be very pleased.

Got one of those with the "~25 inch" bar and yellow chain! :)

Should be set for the bigger trees.

Saw Doc works for a Stihl dealer...and is a smart, honest guy. I would put great faith in what he says.

AKDoug IS a Stihl dealer...again, I would put great faith in his info.

Thanks again everyone! It looks like my last post might have been missed by a few people and I didn't connect "the dots".

Somebody needs to have a meeting with their sales staff. We are already well into emissions crap and that started years ago. He was probably talking about M-tronic electronic carb vs. the standard carb. IMHO the M-tronic is a better saw, but that's just me.

I would also do your research, as the price he is offering is inconsistent with the pricing on a non-M-tronic MS362

I believe you are correct. The original sales guy at the other dealership missed the opportunity to sell me a chainsaw. The MS362CM with 20" bar at the new dealership is OTD for $700.

As has been said, fear of any emissions stuff other than catalytic converters is ridiculous. Stratified scavenging designs are now making MORE power than traditional designs, and electronic engine controls increase that even further. I would not even consider buying a non-mtronic 362 unless HUGELY discounted. You want the one with "emissions" stuff on it, called m-tronic (it'll say 362c on the side. ) The m-tronic is more user friendly, and makes more power at every rpm range. Plus, it is nearly impossible to flood the engine. Sounds to me like that dealer has a handful of un-sold older 362s, and has come up with a line of BS to try and move them.

Agreed! :)

New dealer with stellar customer service is $50 cheaper on an m-tronic MS362.

I believe you are correct. The original sales guy at the other dealership missed the opportunity to sell me a chainsaw. The MS362CM with 20" bar at the new dealership is OTD for $700.
That's a good price.

Howdy:

Going to incur the wrath of the dealers here-
I will only say that not having a computer connected to the carb on my saws is a great comfort in that I knowI can always repair the carb (or many other aliments)at home quickly and for very little money. (Please see the thread "562xp hesitation" and similar threads.)

Does the newer tech help saws run better? It seems the answer is yes, but at what price to the overall ownership hassle factor? Not yet determined, but just go out to your average car and open the hood and fix that missing cylinder without the OBDII tool etc.. This is the road OPE is heading down and I think it's a bad idea.

Bad in that the consumer will be burdened with ever higher costs and lack of control over their own equipment, and a loss of self reliance.

People on the board are here because they are interested in the workings of their saws and mechanical things in general. Will the next gen of saw users get to the level of the users of this board, or will they loose interest as the machines cannot be controlled by their owners?

Back