Newbie is looking for chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, what's your budget?

I can't shell out $500 for a new Stihl and it's obvious that $150 just won't buy much saw to I guess I could swing $200-$250 for something used that would last a while. I just don't know enough about chainsaws to know when a used saw is really an abused saw.

Stihl
Husky
Echo
Poulan Pro
Old McCulloch
Old Homelite

I can make any of the above work. New Homelite and new Macs are crap, stay away from them. If your not mechanically inclined stick to the top 3. The new Poulans are fine, but need some tuning out of the box, usually set up too lean. Homo depot won't do that for you. At any rate you should learn how to tune a saw anyway, for high and low mixture settings. If the saw isn't adjustable you are stuck with what you got. 16-18" bar is probably about right for what you need.

A good bet would be to get a 6401 from your local HD rental department. Good saw that can be had at a great price.

I don't know a 6400/6401 is a big and very strong saw. I am not sure that i would recommend that strong of a saw for a "newbie". JMO

If your budget would allow maybe go check out a Dolmar 420 or 5100 both real good saws for just regular people.

Dan, the thing is, the Poulan Pro 42cc was a decent choice in your price range. If you could live with the power compromise for the price, maybe you could find a similar powered saw with a traditional bar nut setup.

If you really want more power, it's gonna come at a price. The price is either up front for a decent used or new saw, or the price of risking the purchase of an older saw and a potential repair.

There is a 029 used saw in the AS classifieds for $285, otherwise I don't see anything in your range.

While I would take a risk on a used saw from an AS member, I'd be very careful buying from anyone else.

Maybe you could visit a couple of saw dealers in your area and see what used saws they have.

In my area, there are always smaller saws on Craigslist--people buy them for basic clean-up and get rid of them or go larger.

Right now, there's a very clean MS250 for $250 and an MS290 for $200.

I had the 250 and it ran like a champ--nice weight/power ration, and you could probably find one for under 3 bills easily.

S

Latest posts

Back