Newbie Question!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfd_ast

Reaction score
I own a small lawn care bis. I am a full time firefighter! Ok my question is I was looking at maybe doing this as a add on! Is it worth it or is it to time consuming! I thought I would ask the pros!!!!
:confused: :confused:

Welcome to AS brother. I'm also a full time FF (IAFF Local 865). I'd say tree work fits perfectly with my schedule (and probably yours too.)

That said, it took me quite a while to learn the ropes, though. I worked full time for a tree service for years before I became a FF, and then started my own co. as a side job (I don't know many FF's without a side job!)
You might benefit from working for a local tree co for a while to see first if you like it, and second to see if you are any good at it. You will also have to lay out a bit of $ in the beginning to start up (including insurance - your lawn policy probably does not cover trees). Another thing to think about is your health insurance. Tree work is dangerous, and you can easily get hurt badly enough to lose time at your real job (or actually lose your job!). Your policy may not cover injuries sustained while not on the job.

You could also branch your lawn business out to cover tree fert. and spraying, without the startup costs and learning curve of a full service tree co. It will take quite a bit of time to learn the signs and symptoms of tree issues (I'm learning more and more all the time), but it might get you where you need to be money-wise.

Good luck if you go for it. My advice is to start slow, learn the ropes, and then build the business as you go.

I see you are from Ashville NC. Ashville FD or Black MTN ,etc.
Been a Vol. for fifteen years. Cove Creek VFD. Asst. Chief 13 years.

Thanks but I cant go work somwhere else I will lose my lawn care bis. But thanks anyway! I dont think this is for me! Sorry, I got one good bis cant afford a nother! BUT YEA YOUR RIGHT FIRE MEN ALWAYS HAVE 2 OR 3 JOBS!!!

2222 - Asheville, assigned to Rescue 3. I'm actually working my last 24 hour shift for 6 months while I work the day shift teaching at our fire academy. It's a good gig, but not great for scheduling tree work!

Hay you picked up on the numbers. Cool. I was in Marion couple years back at the fire school To finish my FFII up and took a pumps class. Ashville and Black Mtn. had a truck there for us to use. I come to Ashville each Feb to a tech school. Always drive by the FD just to look.. You no its in my blood. Tlking about other jobs on the side . The public just don't know what FF's
give up for them. I don't see how you Pro.FF's make ends meet. Not Enough pay. Ok that is enough. hope yu have a Merry & safe Xmas.

I own a small lawn care bis. I am a full time firefighter! Ok my question is I was looking at maybe doing this as a add on! Is it worth it or is it to time consuming! I thought I would ask the pros!!!!

sure man do it up. its sooooo easy. you pick it up like nothing. i'd say its probably harder to edge a garden bed or weed whack without scalping the lawn but not as hard as cutting a straightline with the sitdown lawnmower thats for sure.

like a walk in the park.

oldirty

brothers

Welcome to AS brother. I'm also a full time FF (IAFF Local 865). I'd say tree work fits perfectly with my schedule (and probably yours too.)

That said, it took me quite a while to learn the ropes, though. I worked full time for a tree service for years before I became a FF, and then started my own co. as a side job (I don't know many FF's without a side job!)
You might benefit from working for a local tree co for a while to see first if you like it, and second to see if you are any good at it.

bfd_ast I mean cutting trees down! If it is I know someone who can help me and I will get some schooling

Hey brotehrs local 730 here. I work 2 10 days followed by 2 14 nights then 4 off. Leaves me 6 out of 8 days to swing around in trees. The best part of working the fire job is all the good temp help that can be found. The bad [as you 2 know ] is the night I had a couple weeks ago; working a underground confined space fire most of the night [wondering what that black s*!t is I'm spitting out] then strait to a sketchy removal. Wa wa eh, I wouldn't change a thing...

Bfd, your instincts are right, if you can not find a mentor to teach you the trade [better yet the profession] then don't take on the aggravation and personal risk. we already have enough risk; myself and some of our brothers here are volunteering for a study with the local university to find out why professional fire fighters have heart attacks 16 years before the national average of 68. I wonder if it has anything to do with the black s*!t?

I did 13 years in the bush with a chain saw as my constant companion and did some logging sport climbing. I was really naive when I thought "how hard can it be." While its not rocket science, I almost killed myself a couple times before I recognized I needed to find a mentor or two. Another brother who also did time in the bush did a year and a half with a local company before venturing out on his own. We are at about the same level but his route was much more safe. I made more money with risk I took and it bought me the tools of the trade he could not afford. I would rather have done it his way.

On another note you will have all the brothers looking for you to cut there trees down [regardless of bylaws] for a case of beer, ha ha!

For those that are thinking of getting into the biz, off the top of my head and by no means a complete list, I would say...

-if your doing it for "all that money" tree guys make, don't bother. I don't know any rich tree guy. This job is to dangerous to do if you don't love it.

-get some quality mentoring first to see if its for you.

-you need to have another guy around who can climb, In my town the tallest Ariel ladder is 115 feet in the unlikely event it can even get to you. Forget about high angle rescue teams from the fire department [I'm on ours and I doubt most cities are any different]

-the job is as much about people as trees, you have to be personable if your going to run a business yourself.

-start with the ISA arborist exam so you know what you are looking at and proposing to do to trees.

-buy the proper gear for yourself and for rigging

-rack a 100 hours on the ground with saws before going aloft with them

-those hours better include falling cuts with use of sight lines and awareness of holding/hinge wood.

-stay away from the house drops until you are advanced

-Basically it is a tall order unless you stick to easy stuff.

Anyrate enough rambling

Last edited:

this is what i would do in your case....

offer the service ,,,, trim hedges,,, pole saw- clip the small crab apples, pears, and assorted smaller trees and prune shrubs....

than on the bigger stuff,, hook up with a good tree service for the bigger stuff,, and sub it out to him.....

get a price from the tree guy,, add a few %,,, sell the job,,,sub it out,,,, to the tree guy,, help him do the job...

that way,, you learn,, expand your biz,, make a few bucks,,he refers you, you refer him,, customers happy.. refers everyone !!! everyone makes a buck,, and everyone is happy !!!!

Full time Firefighter here also. Can't help with the tree business question, But I have a stump grinding business as my side job. It appears that there are quite a few Firefighters in the tree business that are members here on arboristsite

dead thread derail?

Full time Firefighter here also. Can't help with the tree business question, But I have a stump grinding business as my side job. It appears that there are quite a few Firefighters in the tree business that are members here on arboristsite

I fyour still around BFD i'll get back on topic...

Of the 300 or so pro fire fighters here in the greater Victoria area there are 5 tree guys. I am the most active along with another fellow who only does stumps now. 2 are semi and mostly retired. And my good mate that keeps pretty busy. There are a few old loggers on the job as well. My department has hired lots of forestry guys so I can get experienced chainsaw and rope guys out. How do you guys make out with hiring your brothers?

Latest posts

Back