Newbie stihl MS 261/6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunbridgeJay

Reaction score
Hi everyone and apologies if I’m asking a previously answered question here

I was given a stihl ms 261/c chainsaw from an old boy down my road who sadly passed away a while back. And am trying to give it a revamp with new chain etc.
I’m struggling to work out what chain I need to get. The stihl website has it listed as a 320mm 13” bar requiring a 14” chain?

but when I measure from where the bar starts to extrude from the casing to the tip it’s only 12”

I counted the lugs which is 56 and that still points to it being a 14” chain for a 13”320mm bar.

It’s a 2011 model if that helps anyone.
Many thanks.

Hi everyone and apologies if I’m asking a previously answered question here

I was given a stihl ms 261/c chainsaw from an old boy down my road who sadly passed away a while back. And am trying to give it a revamp with new chain etc.
I’m struggling to work out what chain I need to get. The stihl website has it listed as a 320mm 13” bar requiring a 14” chain?

but when I measure from where the bar starts to extrude from the casing to the tip it’s only 12”

I counted the lugs which is 56 and that still points to it being a 14” chain for a 13”320mm bar.

It’s a 2011 model if that helps anyone.
Many thanks.

It sounds like your saw has a (nominally) 13" bar with the 3003 bar mount pattern, and those bars take a 56 dl .325 chain. The gauge may vary with were the bar was bought (and more), so you need to check that, to get a correct chain.

Most bars (but not all) are shorter than the nominal length when mounted on the saw - exactly by how much will vary with the saw model.

With the smaller 3005 Stihl mount the 56dl chains (and bars) are called 14" btw, so that likely is where you have the 56dl = 14" from? Stihl 3005 bars are shorter compared to called length than most others on the market, being up to 2" shorter than called - while the 3003 mount bars (that you have on the 261) are more normal in that respect.
A just over 12" effective length for a 3003 bar called 13"/56dl fits with what I remember, but I haven't checked recently.

Just an fyi... You are able to put different length bars on saws, and bar length preference varies a good bit between people. It would be a good time to grab a new bar If the bar is worn or you prefer a different length.

That saw will easily handle an 18” with .325 if you desire a bit more length.
Surely it will, but a 16" is preferable as an "all-round" setup.

Going shorter than 16" on a strong 50cc saw makes very little sense to me - despite that 13" is what the saw brands usually "push" on those saws, on this side of the pond.

I agree Saw Troll the wood here is probably about the same size as where you are,I have over 40 working saws all but one have 16 inch bars.I have a 18 inch on one for the big stuff not much wood bigger than 36 inch left around me.Who would ever want to lug a longer bar around all day when you do not need it.It does not make sense to me a guy buys a small saw for the light weight then over loads it cutting ability and light weight with a great big bar .The saw probably weighs more than a 65 cc with a 16.
Kash

Back