Newbie with Stihl MS029 repair issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeesq

Reaction score
I have a Five year old Stihl MS029 that a friend borrowed and now has a badly scored cylinder and pistion. It appears that he did not use any oil or not enough oil in the gas. In any event, I am stubborn, love to take things apart and fix them. No, I will not throw this saw in the dumpster, but want to fix it myself. From what I have read, it seems doable. I plan on taking it apart to put a new jug and cylinder on but need some guidance. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of? I may rebuild the carb while I have it apart. Thanks in advance for the help.

+2 on the Fish step by step tutorial...it's a great 029/290 re-build guide. You can throw a 310 cylinder & piston on that & bump the hp quit a bit.

Good luck with it....that series(290/310) are interesting to work on compared to other Stihls.

RD

take the saw and stick up the guy ass who broke it and have him replace it with a new MS290

Thanks Motor....."interesting repair".... sounds like fun!

I have searched for Fish's guide, searched "rebuild 029" searched his posts (gone through lots of them) and am still searching. Any way to zero in on it?

Jeep you might want to try decaf for a bit! Seriously, he's a good friend that just lost his job. My saw is a minor issue.

Jeep you might want to try decaf for a bit! Seriously, he's a good friend that just lost his job. My saw is a minor issue.

then you get what you deserve, maybe show your fiend the correct way to use tools

Be prepared to take every last thing apart on the saw to replace the P&C. It's worth doing if you are going to do the work yourself, but it's over two hours of labor, and when done by a shop, would cost you almost as much as a new saw.

Be prepared to take every last thing apart on the saw to replace the P&C. It's worth doing if you are going to do the work yourself, but it's over two hours of labor, and when done by a shop, would cost you almost as much as a new saw.

+1 on the diassembly, clean it all REAL good while apart, you'll be glad you did.

+1 on the dealer labor charge. (You might even have to look at them and say, "Wow, at least Jesse James used a gun!"....LOL)

Hope all goes well.
Tommy

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the help. Had some time today and took the saw apart using Fish's step by step guide. Thanks Fish!!!!! The saw is apart, the piston and cylinder are out and they are pretty bad with pretty deep grooves, mostly on the exhaust side. Now I will wait for the parts to arrive, I am also changing the fuel line as that seems to be a common problem with this saw. I will keep you posted. I've got some spring cleanup to do and am itching to have the saw working to get to it.

Latest posts

Back