Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefytheroadrun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well im a newbie here but have been watching for a couple of weeks. iv been running a mac 3516 for about 4 years that i got for free. wifes uncle couldnt get it started after using it once so i took it. changed the broken fuel line and its been cutting since. about two weeks ago my uncle said he had 2 stihls in the garage collecting dust. well now im the proud owner of two FREE stihls.the first one is a like new 009 that was only ran a couple times. the other is a sweet 056av thats cut 3 maples in its lifetime. all i have to say is the 056 sounds like a 125 dirtbike. SWWEEEET! my buddy still thinks his rancher will take it. his rancher is nice but come on i have a dirtbike with a cutting chain on it. anyway im thinking about accually buying a new saw.(never too many toys?) im looking to stay with stihl and want a good all around saw.a jack of all trades kind of saw.i only cut about one cord a year unless theres a storm. last year i cut about 15 cords because of storms. im looking to stay under $400 as much as possible.i was really thinking ms 230 or 250. what do you guys think.

Get a side-job-- save up 600 quatlous and get a 361. I have a 250 -- it's a fine saw BUT- I would recommend a real pro work horse if you plan on staying on this site and continuing to cut. I don't have one yet but It's about to become my 6th saw. Welcome aboard.

Sell me the 056 and use your $400 plus the money I give you:clap::clap::clap:to go buy the 361...PM me if interested...

Welcome!!!

And MAJOR dittos on the 361.

The "twofitty" is a good, solid, snotty little saw, Mine has been beat on for years now, and I can't say enough. I got every penny out of it, and it has returned many times it's cost.

However, when the time comes that it's gonna need a rebuild, it's gonna get sold for parts.
A rebuild will cost more than a new saw sadly, and not bieng a Pro saw, means the rebuild would be a PITA.

Either the 260 or a 346xp will replace it.

Save for a bit longer, go with the 361..it will last till you are pushing up Daisys.

Oh!! and do it quickly, before the Reed valved abominations replace it in the Stihl line.;)

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

I just helped a neighbor buck a 30" tulip poplar with a 361 (20") today. A 290 (20") and a Husqvarna 445 (16") were also there to help, but I only handled them for a couple cuts. The more I use my 361, the more I can't stand my 290.

Last edited:
Good idea staying with Stihl. MS 361 is great. The 056 sounds almost new! That is great. And you will likely find the 009 is a solid performer. Just remember it is not a speed revver. 9,500 RPM is the recommended max. I have beat mine up for 14 years and it runs great. Oil pump finally went out. $40.00+ for a new pump. The whole saw was 189.00 brand new. Fun little saw, great with a 12 inch "Blade." LOL

I know you said you wanted to stay with stihl but being on a $400 is tough.

I think the best value for around $400 is the Dolmar 5100 or the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401. For a pro saw it's the best power for the money.

I'm sure you'll get several suggestions from the guys on here though, but husky, dolmar, and sthil are all dang fine saws but I am partial to my dolmars as I think they offer the best value in a saw dollar for dollar

well im a newbie here but have been watching for a couple of weeks. iv been running a mac 3516 for about 4 years that i got for free. wifes uncle couldnt get it started after using it once so i took it. changed the broken fuel line and its been cutting since. about two weeks ago my uncle said he had 2 stihls in the garage collecting dust. well now im the proud owner of two FREE stihls.the first one is a like new 009 that was only ran a couple times. the other is a sweet 056av thats cut 3 maples in its lifetime. all i have to say is the 056 sounds like a 125 dirtbike. SWWEEEET! my buddy still thinks his rancher will take it. his rancher is nice but come on i have a dirtbike with a cutting chain on it. anyway im thinking about accually buying a new saw.(never too many toys?) im looking to stay with stihl and want a good all around saw.a jack of all trades kind of saw.i only cut about one cord a year unless theres a storm. last year i cut about 15 cords because of storms. im looking to stay under $400 as much as possible.i was really thinking ms 230 or 250. what do you guys think.

Very easy solution!

Go to your Uncle and tell him he should quickly buy a 361 or 441 and a 880 as a replacement for the saws he gave you. Soon he will recognize that they are both to big for him so you are ready to help him get rid of these big heaps of metal and plastic.

:)

Beefy... welcome.

I am amazed that you want to spend money on a new saw when you have those great toys and not so much time to play with them... Well, I ran a freebie Muchluc for about 5 years and it finally died (coil), so my wife and kids gave me a $400 "voucher" for a new saw. I went with the MS250 and spent the rest (+ a little, which is always my habit...) on PPE, a file guide and accessories... This all happened 3 or 4 months ago. Here in Mass, we had a bad ice storm that I am almost done cleaning up after now. That saw is just peachy and smooth like butter. But - look what I am comparing it to...

Anyway, I got advice from these folks on AS to go with the Dolmar 5100 and the ms290, etc - "go Pro" they said, but I just didn't think I needed such a saw for the amount I plan to cut (maybe 4-5 cords / year... personal use only) I think I will be happy with the little 250 - so far I am.

And if I ever get the itch (CAD they call it) there are plenty to choose from to bolster my arsenal!

Have fun! Be safe...

-bearsfeat

i recomend husky 359, over the 361.

its a real underated workhorse. i feel the 361 might be overrated just a tad.

but both are good saws and will do the same work. one just might feel better doing it. as with most, if you decide on the 361 youl be fine because you wont ever know what your missing.

id like to have money to throw away so i could just go buy 361 so i can asee for myself what all the hypes about if there is any.

both the 359/361 are great little saws

id like to have money to throw away so i could just go buy 361 so i can asee for myself what all the hypes about if there is any.

both the 359/361 are great little saws

No offense, but I try not to make judgment of things I don't know. I'm sure the 359 is a great saw, but I've never run one so I don't comment either way on it.

I did have the money to, "throw away" on the 361, and I can honestly say it's the nicest saw I've ever run. And I've run plenty.

I was under the assumption that we, the members of this awesome site, were here to help with solid information to help other people make informed decisions.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they're all full of *ish.

i bash the 361 any chance i get even if by some slim chance its better than the 359

i said both are great little saws

i bash the 361 any chance i get even if by some slim chance its better than the 359

i said both are great little saws

I fully understand, and completely embrace, the Stihl/Husky feud. But, commenting on personal experiences rather than opinion would be much more beneficial to the OP.

No offense, but I try not to make judgment of things I don't know. I'm sure the 359 is a great saw, but I've never run one so I don't comment either way on it.

I did have the money to, "throw away" on the 361, and I can honestly say it's the nicest saw I've ever run. And I've run plenty.

I was under the assumption that we, the members of this awesome site, were here to help with solid information to help other people make informed decisions.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they're all full of *ish.

Might I also add, I actually suggested the 260...not the 361.

Latest posts

Back