NEWBY with wood furnace questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smart move - yes, start with what your local codes are and then look at what wood appliances are available. It also wouldn't hurt to have a pro come out and check your current install to see what they suggest.

Shari

Great advice Shari!
A tip on flues.
Codes requires them to be 2100 degree rated and there should be a stamp that they are HT(high temp rated)
Galvi pipes can cause zinc oxide poisoning therefore they are not allowed as per code.

Wood stove installed.

Ok...I bought an EPA wood stove, it's a Vogelzang Highlander model and put it in my family room, to try and determine what size stove I should ultimately get for my home, but I can't get it to go hot enough.

This room has an 18' ceiling and I heard that the higher the stovepipe the better for drafting, so that's why I chose this room.
I think the stove is starving for air, because it won't go higher than 300F and it just smolders after about an hour once the loading door is closed. I crack open the door and get a nice fire with yellow flames, then close the door and get nice secondary blue flames on top but after a short while it starts to die down.

I set the stove about 2' away from the back wall and ran the 6" stove pipe straight up about 13', then a 90 deg. elbow to an outside wall (24" from ceiling) into the wall thimble. The horizontal run from the elbow to the outside is 4' so I think I'm ok there and it has about a 1" pitch. Instead of putting another elbow outside and continue the flue vertical, I just put the cap on the end of the horizontal pipe, as an experiment. Is that what you think the problem is? Right now, the arrestor is about at the same height as the eve and about 2' away.

Should I turn the flue vertical with another elbow and how high should I make it past the height of the eve. I read that it has to be 2' higher than the section of the roof that is 10' away. But I thought that only applies to flues that poke through the roof, not out the side of the house.

Last edited:
Ok...I bought an EPA wood stove, it's a Vogelzang Highlander model and put it in my family room, to try and determine what size stove I should ultimately get for my home, but I can't get it to go hot enough.

This room has an 18' ceiling and I heard that the higher the stovepipe the better for drafting, so that's why I chose this room.
I think the stove is starving for air, because it won't go higher than 300F and it just smolders after about an hour once the loading door is closed. I crack open the door and get a nice fire with yellow flames, then close the door and get nice secondary blue flames on top but after a short while it starts to die down.

I set the stove about 2' away from the back wall and ran the 6" stove pipe straight up about 13', then a 1. 90 deg. elbow to an outside wall (24" from ceiling) into the wall thimble. The horizontal run from the elbow to the outside is 4' so I think I'm ok there and it has about a 1" pitch. Instead of putting another elbow outside and continue the flue vertical, 2. I just put the cap on the end of the horizontal pipe, as an experiment. Is that what you think the problem is? Right now, the arrestor is about at the same height as the eve and about 2' away.

3. Should I turn the flue vertical with another elbow and how high should I make it past the height of the eve. I read that it has to be 2' higher than the section of the roof that is 10' away. But I thought that only applies to flues that poke through the roof, not out the side of the house.

1. Two 45's are better than one 90.

2. Have you read your owner's manual for correct installation? Located here: http://content.vogelzang.com/Inst/tr003.pdf

3. Have you read your owner's manual for correct installation? Located here: http://content.vogelzang.com/Inst/tr003.pdf Chimney must be 2' higher than the highest point of your roof (the ridge normally, or dormer, etc.) if that ridge is within 10'. Chimney must be at least 3' tall. This is called the 10/2/3 rule. It's in your manual starting on page 7.

Have you had your install inspected and approved by your local code enforcement office? Have you informed your insurance company of your new install?

Burn safe: Always!

Shari

Last edited:
Back