NEWBY with wood furnace questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok but, I have 2 gas-fired water heaters and 2 gas furnaces sharing one stack now on a 6 year old house, supposedly built to code.
multiple gas appliances can share a flue per code. gas burns clean but makes lotta water from combustion which is no prob with proper venting, cant add wood or even oil into that stack, which is probly maxed out by design to accomodate all the gas burners & vented with b-vent metal pipe as a chimney?

multiple gas appliances can share a flue per code. gas burns clean but makes lotta water from combustion which is no prob with proper venting, cant add wood or even oil into that stack, which is probly maxed out by design to accomodate all the gas burners & vented with b-vent metal pipe as a chimney?

Yes the vent stack is a metal pipe, not sure if it's 1, 2, or 3 wall. Anyway, the wood furnace would replace the 2 gas furnaces (although only 1 gas furnace is used now, to save on fuel costs).
The idea of disconnecting the smaller gas furnace permanently, and disconnecting the larger gas furnace temporarily (when the wood burner is being used) makes sense.
Why would creosote be an issue in a metal stack? If a fire was to start in the vent, won't it just be contained within the metal stack and eventually burn itself out when the fuel (creosote) is all consumed?

That's pretty close to what a local HVAC guy explained to me when I asked him about multiple appliances and mixed fuel sources. The fact a wood furnace was running 24/7 all heating season would make the lp water heater a non issue in the same flue. He explained in much better detail at the time and now I just remember the gist of it. 7years later and there haven't been any problems. I sweep the chimney well and probably more than needed so no sleepless nights around here.

When the appliances run intermittantly is when creosote issues can show up and its for those reasons they go for seperate flues. Also, something about mortar etching to the point of failure in some circumstances.

Can't believe I agree

I thought the newer wood burning appliances ran much cleaner than the traditional older units, due to the secondary combustion. So is creosote build up still an issue with the newer, more efficient units?

Yes the vent stack is a metal pipe, not sure if it's 1, 2, or 3 wall. Anyway, the wood furnace would replace the 2 gas furnaces (although only 1 gas furnace is used now, to save on fuel costs).
The idea of disconnecting the smaller gas furnace permanently, and disconnecting the larger gas furnace temporarily (when the wood burner is being used) makes sense.
Why would creosote be an issue in a metal stack? If a fire was to start in the vent, won't it just be contained within the metal stack and eventually burn itself out when the fuel (creosote) is all consumed?
gas stack has Al inner pipe, wood needs SS inner pipe....per code

gas stack has Al inner pipe, wood needs SS inner pipe....per code

Ok so if I was to convert my fireplaces to wood burners or place a free-standing stove in front of my fireplace, I have to replace the vent pipes to ss anyway?

thanks for all your comments and input so far.

John

Ok so if I was to convert my fireplaces to wood burners or place a free-standing stove in front of my fireplace, I have to replace the vent pipes to ss anyway?

thanks for all your comments and input so far.

John
yes, Al melts~1200*f, SS liner is rated to 2100*f. & dont assume a simple fix cause there are specs which the ins. co. loves. Considered a pellet stove?

yes, Al melts~1200*f, SS liner is rated to 2100*f. & dont assume a simple fix cause there are specs which the ins. co. loves. Considered a pellet stove?
Have not heard of pellet stove.
What are the pro's or con's for pellet stoves?

Have not heard of pellet stove.
What are the pro's or con's for pellet stoves?
pellets cost more than wood but can burn corn etc. depending on stove, need electricity, dont need a chimney! Midwest is cheaper pellets than maine, I think

That's pretty close to what a local HVAC guy explained to me when I asked him about multiple appliances and mixed fuel sources. The fact a wood furnace was running 24/7 all heating season would make the lp water heater a non issue in the same flue. He explained in much better detail at the time and now I just remember the gist of it. 7years later and there haven't been any problems. I sweep the chimney well and probably more than needed so no sleepless nights around here.

When the appliances run intermittantly is when creosote issues can show up and its for those reasons they go for seperate flues. Also, something about mortar etching to the point of failure in some circumstances.

Can't believe I agree

Did you really have too....OMG!

CK's response is multi fold. He said what he meant.....too.

Blue bus, keep going, its a good thread.

Did you mean to write "too" or "two" and if you meant "two" were you being sarcastic? Sometimes, it's hard to tell.

If we let Pook run around spoutting his dribble unchecked there will be several people getting into trouble with their furnaces. Pook by no means has a clue to what is code or allowable...I meant too ...back to feeding that Troll.
:notrolls2::deadhorse::notrolls2::deadhorse::notrolls2::

If we let Pook run around spoutting his dribble unchecked there will be several people getting into trouble with their furnaces. Pook by no means has a clue to what is code or allowable...I meant too ...back to feeding that Troll.
:notrolls2::deadhorse::notrolls2::deadhorse::notrolls2::

:agree2:

History is repeating itself....

Shari

ask for actual efficiency #s beyond "its EPA certified so its efficient". EPA resorts to default #s but a good mfr. should have their own results, on paper. Actual heating efficiency is what u want.

Since replacing the entire flue on my 2 story house with about 40' of ss pipe is a lot more work than I can do in the middle of winter (there's currently snow on my roof and don't want to climb up there), I'll go with Shari's approach for now and get a wood stove to replace one of the gas fireplaces.
What do you guys think about Timberwolf stoves like this one:http://www.timberwolffireplaces.com/EPA_2300.html

They claim an efficiency rating of 83.9% and particulate emissions of just 2.8g.

I went in the attic and found out the gas fireplaces have an 8" vent pipe. So I can probably just slide a 6" SS liner in it to make it safe.
Any thoughts?

John

John,

Does a gas fireplace use an aluminum liner? If yes, you have to swap that out to SS for a wood stove. There still may be other mods in order to get a wood stove in there.

You can also check out a lot of reviews over at ********** for woodstoves.

Shari

John,

Does a gas fireplace use an aluminum liner? If yes, you have to swap that out to SS for a wood stove. There still may be other mods in order to get a wood stove in there.

You can also check out a lot of reviews over at ********** for woodstoves.

Shari
Hi Shari,
I'm reading Timberwolf's manual online for the 2300 model and it states that the vent pipe used for the 2300 could be aluminized steel or cold-rolled steel, but galvanized steel is strictly forbidden. I'll have to see what type of steel my vents are. They may have built this house to accept both gas or wood fireplaces to make it code. One way to make sure is to take out the lower cover of the fireplace box and check the model number and check with my local building dept. I guess.

Hi Shari,
I'm reading Timberwolf's manual online for the 2300 model and it states that the vent pipe used for the 2300 could be aluminized steel or cold-rolled steel, but galvanized steel is strictly forbidden. I'll have to see what type of steel my vents are. They may have built this house to accept both gas or wood fireplaces to make it code. One way to make sure is to take out the lower cover of the fireplace box and check the model number and check with my local building dept. I guess.

Smart move - yes, start with what your local codes are and then look at what wood appliances are available. It also wouldn't hurt to have a pro come out and check your current install to see what they suggest.

Shari

:dunno: I'd suggest you get an opinion of an installer in your area. .
Not to be harsh to you, but it doesn't sound like you know enough to do a retro fit of a stove safely as quickly as you would like. If you were researching it more for a self install before next winter, you might be better off.

Since replacing the entire flue on my 2 story house with about 40' of ss pipe is a lot more work than I can do in the middle of winter (there's currently snow on my roof and don't want to climb up there), I'll go with Shari's approach for now and get a wood stove to replace one of the gas fireplaces.
What do you guys think about Timberwolf stoves like this one:http://www.timberwolffireplaces.com/EPA_2300.html

They claim an efficiency rating of 83.9% and particulate emissions of just 2.8g.

I went in the attic and found out the gas fireplaces have an 8" vent pipe. So I can probably just slide a 6" SS liner in it to make it safe.
Any thoughts?

John
better check with codeman about dropping the SS liner into the AL. May can do if liner is insulated= SS 2100*f, Al 1400*f melts.
Glitch is that the liner mfr. probly never UL tested for your unusual scenario.

Back